Portsmouth 0 West Ham United 1 (14/01/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Re: Portsmouth vs West Ham United: match thread

Post by taffhammer »

I'd be happy with a bit of caution away from home if we played 4 4 2 at home. But all the 'get us up at any cost' posters seem to forget we have been caught out last thing more than once this season at home being cautious when we are playing at a level where we can afford to play more exciting, entertaining football. BFS knows only one way to play football and the longer the season goes on the more true that is.
At the emirates we would have been ripped apart taking the game to them, caution was needed and it worked.At fratton park against 10 men surely sitting back with 1 up top is more of a risk than making them have to defend against two up top, Baldock should have come on to play with Cole and no wonder some that went aren't happy.People who have been going for years and they are being told they should know better and not go !!! unbelievable.
djclipz
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by djclipz »

the pink palermo wrote: The primary complaint is there appears to be little attempt to get on the front foot away from home - it comes across as if he has decided to play a certain way regardless of what he sees in front of him
tbf that is exactly what big Sam said it would be from the very beginning of the season... but it just so happened that we actually started the season away from home better than ever and were hitting some goals, but it has gradually grinded into what we see today, which would have probably been the plan from the start. What doesn't help matters is that at home we have rarely been able to show anything that entertaining, doubled with more injuries, suspensions and misfiring strikers. I'm not sure you can go out and play attractive winning football without having a solid base and the basics drummed into the players, teams like Man City and Arsenal (when they were at their best) were incredibly disciplined in how they approached games defensively and just got on with things off the ball. We are not, or we are not with regards to switching between between attacking and defending. You let our players go out of position when in possession, as soon as the ball comes back at us we will be all over the place. Keep our formation rigid and tight and you'll improve defensively, which we have done. Problem is when are we going to be able to switch out of this? only seems to happen when Taylor is playing because he has a creative skill and excellent technique. Unfortunately most others do not.

I hate seeing the dross we have seen some weekends but then i hated to see the trying to play and losing approach we have adopted for the last number of years. So im prepared to give it time, heck its only been just over half a season (after relegation), obviously though as we move forward an improvement must be seen and that is fair enough.

Last time we were down the year we got up i remember moaning a hell of a lot watching us then, and imo we got lucky and went up, we certainly weren't good enough that season, but for the first season back, at least, we started to play quite well and it was entertaining. It will come, and if not a new manager will.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

dapablo wrote:It's just the fact of who we're playing really isn't it, a game like hat beating Arsenal would be the DB's.
You really don't get it do you? In the remote possibilty of us being all over Arsenal like we were against Pompey I would be just as frustrated at us getting one up then defending it, as 2-0 is always better than 1-0. Part of that would be that I just wouldn't be convinced of this teams ability to hold off Arsenal for 60 minutes.

But I was at the last game at Highbury and the first at the Emirates; one was a smash and grab where they battered us but Rob Green played a blinder - that one I cheered a superb defensive display. The other was a more equal contest in fairness IIRC though on paper they were the better team.

There is no comparison.
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

prophet:marginal wrote: Is it possible that Allardyce actually doesn't think very much at all of the playing staff at his disposal? So much so that he can't get out of his head those several occasion earlier on in the season when we conceded damaging late goals?

I've been wondering that from (a) listening to the commentary and (b) reading the accounts of the travelling fans who couldn't understand why he didn't gamble even slightly once Pompey had gone down to 10 men.

Perhaps he just doesn't trust his players enough to let them (try to) show a bit of flair?
I think you're pretty close to hitting the nail on the head there Proph
It was an away game, and a game Sam wanted a positive result, so he was always going to keep it tight

I dunno if it's that he doesn't trust them, more than he is in ultra safe mode, due to our run of poor results in december. He's always going to play safe, but I'd guess that at this point, even more so, so it is all about getting us solid and hard to beat again. Once he's happy that we are, he may be inclined to be a tad more expansive

When you are in a good run, you're more inclined to really go for the jugular. When you're on the back of an iffy run, you're more likely to take the safer option. I agree with Bob, in that once we were 1-0 up, we didn't need to push on, so Sam took the safe option and left it as it was. I do agree that you want to punish the opposition while the chance is there, and I personally would have found a way to get Baldock on the pitch, but I can understand Sam's thinking

I'd hope in the next game, being at home and on the back of back-to-back wins, we'd have the confidence to go for it a lot more than we did on saturday
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

the pink palermo wrote: .

In fairness to Sam, I believe his first choice backline would be Macca, Faye, Tomkins and Demel ,
Where the **** is this Fella by the way ??

Dud or what ??
stubbsy07

Post by stubbsy07 »

Oue replacement for Dyer!

Gutted that he has missed as much of the season he has. I thought he was excellent we he played at Boro'
Bobby Orangeboom

djclipz wrote: tbf that is exactly what big Sam said it would be from the very beginning of the season... but it just so happened that we actually started the season away from home better than ever and were hitting some goals, but it has gradually grinded into what we see today, which would have probably been the plan from the start.
Exactly, i remember walking away from the City Ground earlier on this Season saying to my Pal that i thought we actually didn't play well at all, we just happened to score 4 goals and albeit should have scored at least 2 more, and them 1.

We knew it was going to be this way, i also remember sitting in Chicago after the Copenhagen game and lots of people were posting and were craming themselves about the fact that we were gonna get loads of 1-0 away from home's this season.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Faubert's Boot wrote:
Assists: (courtesy of LeonRivers)

7 Matthew Taylor
5 Julien Faubert
5 Carlton Cole
4 Frederic Piquionne
3 Jack Collison
3 George McCartney
2 Henri Lansbury
2 John Carew
2 Joey O'Brien
2 James Tomkins
2 Winston Reid
1 Herita Ilunga
1 Robert Green
1 Mark Noble
2 Unassisted Goal

Nobles hardly a creative player, even rob green is equal in assists! But i know what you mean, Noble is our best passer on the pitch by far.
Noble is our only creative player...just because he hasn't created goals means **** all. Creation is more than being the last person to pass to a scorer...its starting a move, its inventing options etc

We have a total lack of it through our whole squad...why ?
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Er, well anyway - here's the goal from where I saw it ..

http://youtu.be/j4B-I1mRh_w

:thup:
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

prophet:marginal wrote:Romford - or anyone else agreeing with your basic view that the football being served up is almost not worth the effort in travel and cost - can I ask you this:

Is it possible that Allardyce actually doesn't think very much at all of the playing staff at his disposal? So much so that he can't get out of his head those several occasion earlier on in the season when we conceded damaging late goals?

I've been wondering that from (a) listening to the commentary and (b) reading the accounts of the travelling fans who couldn't understand why he didn't gamble even slightly once Pompey had gone down to 10 men.

Perhaps he just doesn't trust his players enough to let them (try to) show a bit of flair?
I don't believe that...i think its totally down to the manager who sends the team out in shackles.

The biggest mistake the coward has done is to give every team impetus right from kick-off. We have had to change our players and mindset so many times at half time....it only directs to one thing, the manager being scared of what our oppo's can do to us instead of letting it work the other way around.

Ask anyone when you turn up at an away game in the pub and they always say... "You will thrash us".

If you got the chance to chat to the same person ten mins after kick off it would be..."bloody hell...you ARE rubbish".

Thats not down to the players not being good enough...thats down to a manager who is not making the most of their talents
kthammer

Post by kthammer »

WestHamIFC wrote:Er, well anyway - here's the goal from where I saw it ..

thanks - which Iphone camera is that?
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

stubbsy07 wrote:
It could be anything but a miracle. Alot of us do have the internet on our phones and I have posted on here many a time whilst being at games.
About the game though....not some cobblers in The Snug
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Generally we are low on assists because the instruction is to boot it straight up in the air as soon as we get the ball.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

bistol

Totally agree, that's why Taylor's stats are so good. How many of his assists come from set plays ? Could be wrong but would suggest maybe 85-90%. Win a free kick or a corner and we might score. Open play ? Not so much. And we can't lump all that on the miserable striker force at our disposal.

Well maybe we can...

:lol:
llanelliiron

Post by llanelliiron »

Was talking to afew pompey fans in the pub and they couldnt believe that we weren't clear already and as said i told them after the game to make up their on minds . They also agreed with me that there are hardly any good clubs in the division
they also said the guy with the bell is a smelly dirty b@stard :D
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2944 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

What is this "assist" thing that has crept into the game ?

There's the scorer , and the rest of the team , all of whom asist him at various stages . Same as they all "assist" the keeper keeping a clean sheet .

Thank you Garyshammer for doing the "assist" at half time by getting the coffees in :thup:
Jackanakanory
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jackanakanory »

You must have been right next to me - Block S Row G
WestHamByTheSea
Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Post by WestHamByTheSea »

:
Not far from me, was in Block R Row S. I filmed the pen too but can't upload it, so cheers for popping it on here, basically the same film as mine, nice one! :thup:
Bobby Orangeboom

the pink palermo wrote:What is this "assist" thing that has crept into the game ?
It used to be called " He sets up goals ".
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2944 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

the pink palermo wrote:What is this "assist" thing that has crept into the game ?
Bobby Orangeboom wrote: It used to be called " He sets up goals ".
Thanks Bob :thup:

Bit like " he started the move" , or "prevented the cross coming in" or "kept things ticking over" or even "defending from the front".........all aspects of a successful team .

It all went wrong when they pissed about with the offside law .....