West Ham Utd 2 Nottingham Forest 1 (21/01/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

stubbsy07

Re: West Ham v Nottingham Forest match thread

Post by stubbsy07 »

PrinceH wrote:Bring in energy!
Hall showed it yesterday!
Montano can give the width and pace everyone is shouting for.
Why let Spence rot in Bristol? He won't do any worse than Faubert or JOB.

Their energy will give the old players a kick in the back!
If not played every week I think they are needed right now. (and won't cost us à penny. Sort of)

Repeating myself a bit, but as long as Sam hardly dare to use our Academy, I'd continue. Rather have Nouble on the bench than Carew or Piq. Could have used Stanislas on the flank now as well.
Totally agree. The only wingers we have are Faubert and Taylor and we get rid of Stanislas? He would of been a good back up player.
There is no way Spence is worse than Faubert or O'Brien at right full back.
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Turns to Stone wrote: If you put him in Spurs midfield in place of Modric, he'd actually do very well (not to Modric's level, but few are).

Pinky's mentioned De Jong, and whilst he may be a little ambitious. But I think if we could bring in someone like Jenas, then with a couple of outlets wide then I think we'd be ok.
bubbles1966 wrote: In other words he needs to be in a completely different team with different players for him to flourish.

If that isn't possible - then what?
Bubbles - hypothetical but say we brought in de Jong in the summer and we need to sell a midfielder to make way (financially and team balance wise) from noble, collison and Nolan. Who do you think we would move on and who do you think we should move on?
mascherano

Post by mascherano »

Sorry if it's already been mentioned but does anyone know of anywhere online where i can see the goals?

thanks
Jon
Has liked: 102 likes
Total likes: 142 likes

Post by Jon »

BBC's football league show. Go onto their web page. :thup:
Kentish Hammer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by Kentish Hammer »

Good points from the game :

- Robert Hall's cameo, looked like he has a decent left foot on him and his enthusiasm and pace is exactly what we need to counter the boringness of BFS's drivel

- Noble turning into a bit of a penalty-taking legend slowly but surely

- Actually thought Lansbury did quite well after coming in

- Another decent display by JT

Bad points from the game :

- 4-5-1 after going 1-0 up - f*** you Sam

- Playing Baldock on the left because of the above, how long before he gets pissed off with this nonsense

- Carlton Cole - someone spent most of Friday night shagging I reckon cos he was awful

- Greeno's kicking being a bit *****

- I did have more points to make but got quite bored writing this so can't be arsed.

- Collison's shooting, not good
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

hammer1975 wrote: Bubbles - hypothetical but say we brought in de Jong in the summer and we need to sell a midfielder to make way (financially and team balance wise) from noble, collison and Nolan. Who do you think we would move on and who do you think we should move on?
Who would we offload? My guess is Collison.

Who should we? It all depends on the three other signings in addition to De Jong - a left winger, a right winger and a Bellamy...

That said, if we could afford De Jong I'd stick Clint Dempsey next to him :lol:

FWIW, Dickson Etuhu is probably an affordable, low budget De Jong but upgrade on Diop...
SiO
Has liked: 538 likes
Total likes: 293 likes

Post by SiO »

Well, back from my first match in a couple of years and have a few thoughts about proceedings:

On a positive note, I thought that Tomkins and Reid had very assured games at the back, and Baldock bust a gut trying to create space for most of the match. Noble looked like he wanted to play some football and has better passing ability than anyone else in the side

On the other side of things, I thought that McCartney was pretty ordinary going forward and was a pale imitation of the bloke of the same name who used to get down the flank at every opportunity. Any break forward and opportunity to counter ran out of steam inside our own half as the ball then got passed backwards. I felt that players not knowing that there would be a winger with chalk on his boots as an outlet was notable by its absence.

The ground was a library for the entirety of the 1st half and only livened up a bit when the first goal went in... The players responded to the fans (and so far the age old who should lift whom debate)

As an odd aside, I saw a little lad kicking off with the security in front of me in BML... Few people getting their points across... My missus saw it unfold and wondered why the steward was so interogated as it seemed to her to be the case of an aggressive muppet looking for a fight??

As a second aside, I was stood in fornt of a rather odd Brazilian lad who claimed to have come from Brazil for 3 days, just to watch this match... Seemed to want to know about old faces and was obsessed with Green St :? In the warm-up was yelling '****'s sake Green' if Green conceded!! His choice of swearing was also pretty odd but that's something that I won't bother going into.

BTW - The Daves' cars are subtle aren't they?
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Who would we offload? My guess is Collison.

Who should we? It all depends on the three other signings in addition to De Jong - a left winger, a right winger and a Bellamy...

That said, if we could afford De Jong I'd stick Clint Dempsey next to him

FWIW, Dickson Etuhu is probably an affordable, low budget De Jong but upgrade on Diop...
my preference to offload would be nolan - less of a fee obviously but wages freed up would make up for that

failing that I do see collison as being more of a traditional midfielder who could work in a two or a three - either as the attacking or box-to-box man. noble at the moment is pretty much 100% of our creativity. if you have two good wide options (not faubert for the record! and i'm still unconvinced on taylor in open play) then that may be less of an issue. i posted in another thread - noble is obviously mr west ham (and probably our best midfielder at present) but I can see some logic in accepting a decent bid for him - as much as people talk about nolan not really working in a two in midfield you can probably make the same argument about noble (unless we DO buy de jong :wink: )

not that i want us to sell him as we clearly need a squad but i can see our central midfield being a problem if we go up and can't see anything other than nolan continuing to be first name on the teamsheet
Ironza

Post by Ironza »

I think BFS has done a fantastic job in making sure we are in a strong position with 19 games to go. I agree that the style has not been great at times and somewhat negative. But our aim this season is promotion and we are bang in the mix. We lost a number of players before the season started and have had to bring in a fair few. To get us to where we are in such a short space of time can not be under estimated. Any side takes time to gel and the current squad have only been together 6 months.

A number of sides that have gone down, have stayed down and some have even slipped lower. With our financial position and the pressure some of these players have been under, I think we should count ourselves lucky. We had a horrendous December and a month later are sitting top of the league. A lot can be put down to suspensions and injury.

I'm not happy with the style but our aim is to get out of this division. Once we have achieved that, lets see who BFS can bring in depending on the funds available. Right now we need to get behind the team and manager for the remainder of the season.
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

bristolhammerfc wrote:TTS,

Nolans wages and fee are an issue for me as it was all our transfer budget. It is probably restricting our options now (if you listen to KB)

It means that he has to justify that

Get over it! Spending your whole time slagging off our captian cos you dont think he was worth what we paid for him is a waste of time, and simply reinforces negativity on the site.

We have Nolan, we are, barring a miracle stuck with him for a while - and we just have to accept that.

I have been a real critic of many of his performances, but just recently my view has shifted.

Clealry he is a good captain, even if part of that is getting in the refs face.
Clearly he can, in spite of his slow pace, get himself in great positions in the final third - and he puts a fair few away.
But ive also noticed that he does make some crucial interceptions / tackles, and help bolster the defence.
I still wish his overall contribution were greater, but I am beginning to see it is quite as negligible as some, including you, make out.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Upton......Bristol's opinion is not too extreme, I suggest.

I am sure it represents the thoughts of a sizeable proportion of posters, so I don't understand your tirade.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Thanks Irving.

Uptown, I will try to explain my angle.

At the start of the season we had a budget to spend on players to shape our team. The squad, however poor, was decimated by departures of players. This board was screaming for a left back, a pacy striker and a winger. We had lost Upson and had been rudderless on the pitch. Parker was here and had played like the captain, giving inspirational speeches, working his socks off and showing genuine passion. Leading by example. So much so that the press assumed he was captain.

Sam was appointed, and must have looked at the team with an eye on signings. With around 7 million, he could fill those three slots everyone else could see and build a squad united in going forward for promotion.

His first signing Kevin Nolan. Four million pouns and 50k a week. Parker was being sold to fund it, but we still had a midfield of Noble, Collison, Faubert, Stanislas and Sears with the emerging Montano as a potential midfield. Sam used 80% of his money and money to rebuild a team on one player. It meant that other players had to be brought in on loan or free, not for the future, but to supplement the Nolan signing.

We get rid of a stroppy Stanislas, Hines and farm out kids like Hall, Nouble and Spence and replace them with Carew, O'Brien and Diop. We lose any players with pace and replace then with punts on free transfers.

So the team lacks pace, width and shape. The message to young players is that you will only get a chance when one of the free injury prone and expensive, wages wise players, gets crocked and even then begrudgingly.

The other players are told you need to work hard and perform week in week out to keep your place.

Except that is if you are Kevin Nolan.

We have a game against where Collison gets sent off for a reaction and he's put up on the website to apologise. Kevin Nolan stamps on a player and yet nothing.

Sam Allardyce has a blind spot with Nolan. I don't. I expect our captain to perform by leading by example. Showing the side the type of effort he expects from the rest of them. I will ask the question every week, how did he play.

Sadly the answer seems to be the same. He shouted, and wandered around.
The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

:thup:

I don’t mind admitting I have it in for Nolan. I have a big problem with the player.

Tired of Nolan’s below average performances where he spends more energy and time chasing the ref than attempting to play football. I’m frustrated that the team is seemingly built round a 29year old pedestrian football prostitute who ****'s up the shape of the team on a weekly basis.

I’m also bored to tears of his ****ing boss and his shabby selfish ****ing attitude towards the club and its support.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

The Sherriff wrote:
:thup:

I don’t mind admitting I have it in for Nolan. I have a big problem with the player.

Tired of Nolan’s below average performances where he spends more energy and time chasing the ref than attempting to play football. I’m frustrated that the team is seemingly built round a 29year old pedestrian football prostitute who f***s up the shape of the team on a weekly basis.

I’m also bored to tears of his f***ing boss and his shabby selfish f***ing attitude towards the club and its support.
Yeah, i find it criminal we didn't hang on to Upson to lead us this season & kept Zola on as he smiled so well & told us how great we were in a really nice way.

I have issues with Allardyce managing our Club, but none of them are pitch related.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2941 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Bobby , the flaw in your argument is that just because Upson was crap, it doesn't make Nolan good .

Either as a player or skipper . You constantly compare him with Matthew Upson as a Captain , why not compare him with Bonds or Martin ?

How does he stack up in that company ?
Bobby Orangeboom

the pink palermo wrote:Bobby , the flaw in your argument is that just because Upson was crap, it doesn't make Nolan good .

Either as a player or skipper . You constantly compare him with Matthew Upson as a Captain , why not compare him with Bonds or Martin ?

How does he stack up in that company ?
Because the game and the world has changed dramatically since Bonds or Martin were Captain & Upson was our most recent Ex Captain & because of that, allows a much more accurate comparison of how a Captain should be, or shouldn't be in Upson's case ??
Fonzie

Post by Fonzie »

I think the fans moaning need to look at the team now to the one that was losing week in week out last season. Do you all have such short memories?? How did we do when Scotty P didn't play.....well he isn't playing now and we're winning and we have lost other premiership players in Upson, Ba, Obinna, Da Costa, Jacobson, Gabs as well as all the others that went.
In such a short time, BFS has bought in players who have done a job and got up to the top of the league. Look at Leicester who have spent millions, where are they?? Look at Brum and Blackpool who came down with us, I bet they would give they're right arms to be perched on top of the league with the points gap that we have to 3rd place.
It has been said before, but I will say it again, BFS needs to get us out of this league, whether we play good football or sh*t football. The bigger picture is what happens after this season, when we get promoted, we will be more attractive to better players, have more money and BFS will be able to create a better team/squad. The team will improve and the football will improve.
Instead of moaning about the football, look where we are enjoy the winning and get behind the team and push it on to bigger and better things!

C'mon u irons :crest:
Av it

Post by Av it »

In terms of the limitations of the squad...

Does anyone think they are desperate to play attacking attractive football, and BFS is stopping them? Is he stifling their creativitty? Telling them to hoof it when ever they are in possession?

I very much doubt it.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2941 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Bob, I don't think the job of Captain has changed at all .

Sam has bought a player he believes will get us out of this division .I'm on record as saying I can live with Nolan away from home, and the subsequent neccesity to line up 4-5-1 .I say that as someone that travels everyweek ......greater good and all that .If the 8 away wins were against Arsenal, Manchester United, Chelsea, Spurs, Everton, Villa, Manchester City and dare OI say it Liverpool , trust me nobody on here would give a stuff about 1-0 to the West Ham . The football is usually crap to watch , but by and large it has been away from home for a few seasons now.

At home however he is exposed cruelly whenever Sam tries to stick out a team to entertain the Boleyn - where he knows 4-5-1 is the path to the exit .The fact to secure his services we had to offer better terms than Newcastle as I'm sure Nolan has an effective agent - will knacker us for years unless the owners are prepared to take another huge hit on the books .

Nolan was bloody awful on Saturday .A few weeks ago I said he played well - off the ball - but this week, he had a shocker .
Bobby Orangeboom

the pink palermo wrote:Bob, I don't think the job of Captain has changed at all .
Cool, give me 5 qualities that are expected of a Captain then please ??

Edit : To add " in your eyes ? "