West Ham Utd 2 Nottingham Forest 1 (21/01/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Hedges

Re: West Ham v Nottingham Forest match thread

Post by Hedges »

Southampton score 3, then Leicester 4
so it has to be West Ham 5 Forest 0

Mmmmmmm maybe... then again
Av it

Post by Av it »

Jimmyneighbour wrote:I went to Portsmouth last week and was told that Cotterill was not liked and devisive could be nonsense but interesting how Forest are in free fall. My mates little lad, Forest mad, stayed up to watch the Leicester game; he never misses a. Second of any match but when they went three down, decided it was time for bed. This should be comfortable lads, relax....
Results so far would back this up. However, we are West Ham, we don't do easy.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

I would really like to see Hall given a chance in this one. It is set up for him to be let loose.

It would give us a bit more balance and more importantly pace. Very impressed with him every time I have seen him.

Hall Noble Nolan Collison with Baldock & Cole up front.

If Sam is being cautious or being over-cautious about playing Hall then this is the perfect game to play him.
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

Hockley Hammer wrote:I would really like to see Hall given a chance in this one. It is set up for him to be let loose.

It would give us a bit more balance and more importantly pace. Very impressed with him every time I have seen him.

Hall Noble Nolan Collison with Baldock & Cole up front.

If Sam is being cautious or being over-cautious about playing Hall then this is the perfect game to play him.
Not a bad shout at all really
But you do realise that would be a proper 4-3-3?! :wink:

Cole up top, Balders & Hall either side, and a midfield 3 of Nolan, Noble & Jack. SOunds good to me
I bet we won't see it though!
Kentammer
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Kentammer »

Early goal & I'm confident we'll get four or five here, a la earlier in the season.

If it's 0-0 HT...result & performance from then on are anyone's guess.

But...we are at our strongest for weeks. Forest played midweek and are on an awful run. I think we'll be fine.
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

That would be relying on Nolan to run the middle of the park, even with Noble and Jack more in the middle than out wide thats a big ask as i can't see him tracking back . Would be better with the wardrobe holding middle with Noble ,Jack just infront and then your front three of Cole with Baldock, Hall wide.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 509 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

We dont do easy.
Iron George
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron George »

Kentammer wrote:Early goal & I'm confident we'll get four or five here, a la earlier in the season.

If it's 0-0 HT...result & performance from then on are anyone's guess.

But...we are at our strongest for weeks. Forest played midweek and are on an awful run. I think we'll be fine.

An emotional hedge bet of 0-1 with Harewood scoring for them ,makes sense

Will be cracking odds as well.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

taffhammer wrote:That would be relying on Nolan to run the middle of the park, even with Noble and Jack more in the middle than out wide thats a big ask as i can't see him tracking back . Would be better with the wardrobe holding middle with Noble ,Jack just infront and then your front three of Cole with Baldock, Hall wide.
Yep, drop the Club Captain who has been an integral part of us being top of the league tomorrow in addition to him being joint top goal scorer from midfield and having more shots put together than anyone in our entire team, and replace him with someone that has never even started a game for us.. Headbanger
BubbleBoy

Post by BubbleBoy »

I think Sam will fancy this and get the confidence back with the goalscorers.
taffhammer

Post by taffhammer »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote: Yep, drop the Club Captain who has been an integral part of us being top of the league tomorrow in addition to him being joint top goal scorer from midfield and having more shots put together than anyone in our entire team, and replace him with someone that has never even started a game for us.. Headbanger
Hall hasn't started but looked lively when he came on.My post was in reply to one talking about playing 433. In my opinion Nolan wouldn't be good in that formation so i offered up an alternative line up for it. I would prefer we played the 442 diamond you suggested before as we need to play Nolan.He seems to bring a lot as a captain and is getting the right spirit going so i wouldn't drop him. But i don't pick the team and therefore no need to bang your head against the wall it's just an opinion.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

taffhammer wrote:
Hall hasn't started but looked lively when he came on.My post was in reply to one talking about playing 433. In my opinion Nolan wouldn't be good in that formation so i offered up an alternative line up for it. I would prefer we played the 442 diamond you suggested before as we need to play Nolan.He seems to bring a lot as a captain and is getting the right spirit going so i wouldn't drop him. But i don't pick the team and therefore no need to bang your head against the wall it's just an opinion.
We won't be playing 4-3-3, we'll be playing with 2 up front like we have done at home whenever Baldock is fit..

& it may be just an opinion but if we did play 4-3-3, 4-5-1 or 8-1-1, the idea of dropping the Captain in favor if Robert Hall is perfectly summed up by banging my head against a brick wall, yes.
m-h

Post by m-h »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:
We won't be playing 4-3-3, we'll be playing with 2 up front like we have done at home whenever Baldock is fit..

& it may be just an opinion but if we did play 4-3-3, 4-5-1 or 8-1-1, the idea of dropping the Captain in favor if Robert Hall is perfectly summed up by banging my head against a brick wall, yes.
Go three at the back, with Diop in front of the back three, free's up the extra midfield spot for Hall. Play a higher line, boss the midfield and bang in the goals. No excuses for tomorrow and should be no fear.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 800 likes
Total likes: 3015 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Miami - which 3 at the back ?

I was thinking of going 4-2-4 against Forest - I think we'll thrash them , absolutely spank their miserable arses , and send them back North crying , knowing they are going down .......
maltab

Post by maltab »

Really need to get at them right from the kick off.Essential we don,t sit back and let them start to control the game.The quicker we get that first goal,the better it is for our confidence,and puts them on the back foot.
the wren
Location: Alpari Upper, complete with view of Barking-Upon-Thames

Post by the wren »

Whatever the formation. We can't lose. Can we?
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

baldock will play. left mid.

miami, i'm not sure hall should be asked to do the wingback, he is a striker.
Last edited by warp on Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m-h

Post by m-h »

the pink palermo wrote:Miami - which 3 at the back ?

I was thinking of going 4-2-4 against Forest - I think we'll thrash them , absolutely spank their miserable arses , and send them back North crying , knowing they are going down .......

....................................Green.................................
...............Tomkins.........Reid.........Macartney........
.....................................Diop..................................
....Faubert..........Noble........Nolan...........Hall........
............................Cole........Baldock......................

Bench: Faye, Montenegro, Oneil, Nouble, Collison.

Win the midfield battle, win the match. Forest were truly shocking midweek. No Fear.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

taffhammer wrote:That would be relying on Nolan to run the middle of the park, even with Noble and Jack more in the middle than out wide thats a big ask as i can't see him tracking back . Would be better with the wardrobe holding middle with Noble ,Jack just infront and then your front three of Cole with Baldock, Hall wide.
I actually think Nolan could play in the centre of a three and let Noble and Collison do all the running (let's face it that is happening anyway :D )

I think Nolan reads the game well at both ends of the pitch, I grant you he can't get up and back - but that is why Diop is there and the fact is with our finishing he is encouraged to go forward to get goals. He is calm on the ball, looks for the easy pass and is a good outlet - all the marks of a good defensive midfielder.
taffhammer

Post by taffhammer »

[quote="Bobby Orangeboom"

& it may be just an opinion but if we did play 4-3-3, 4-5-1 or 8-1-1, the idea of dropping the Captain in favor if Robert Hall is perfectly summed up by banging my head against a brick wall, yes.[/quote]
In terms of being a captain then yes he should play,but if i was picking a normal 442 and it was just purely down to having watched
him play i'd play him up front not in a middfield two as he isn't mobile enough.