Ipswich Town 5 West Ham Utd 1 (31/01/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Re: Ipswich Town F.C. vs West Ham United: match thread

Post by WorcesterWHU »

West Ham Matt wrote:One of Noble, Nolan or Collison needs to be dropped.

Morrison straight in, with Vaz Te and Maynard.

Morrison ahead of Dioup and Noble/Nolan...

Vaz Te on the right, Taylor left and Maynard through the middle.

Or 4-4-2 with Baldock and Maynard imo
Don't agree with the exact personnel but definitely agree with the sentiment - we definitely need a shake-up and I'm hoping that the new signings will provide it. If anything the one thing we sounded guilty of last night was complacency, so hopefully Big Sam can live up to a reputation of being a tough manager and bring some players down a peg or two. He also needs to self-reflect though and get us on the front foot rather than always being on the back foot.

Which undoubtedly means the same 11 at the weekend and all the new signings on the bench, ready to chase the game when we're behind :raver:
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

another day/night avoiding sky news and the papers., ( i thought they were mostly over ) ,,, to those who went, and to the reading debacle ., was this worse & and a total inept capitualation ?
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Our defence is the problem nad has been for a couple of years now. Some of us have been sying it since then. Our owners though have a fasciantion wuth buying strikers. Since they have been here they have bought or loaned the following:-

Macarthy
Illan
Mido
Baldock
Carew
Piquionne
Baldock
Maynard
Vaz Te
Keane
Ba

Thats elven I can think of off the top of my head. Until they start paying the same attention to the defence then we are going to struggle. I think they have an aversion to buying defenders.
clawhammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by clawhammer »

We lost because...
They wanted it more. I wondered if the tranfer circus would affect us and maybe it did.
Carlton on his own up front just does not work.
We kept hoofing long balls. They played on the ground.
We let them play. They gave us no room.
We were actually outclassed. They looked top of the table and we looked devoid of ideas.
A truly shocking performance.

We need goals in the team so all 3 signings straight in. I would drop Collison, Nolan,Baldock and Lansbury based on last night as all were ineffective. I thought Tomkins was the only player who looked good for us.
WorcesterWHU
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

Has Sam given a presser after this one yet?

I really don't want to read "the penalty was the turning point"...
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

BPRIGGSC wrote: Solid performances over the last few weeks to get in a good position.
Be interested to know exactly which performances you felt were 'solid' in the last few weeks.

Here's our fixtures since the beginning of December, in order to help:

Ipswich 5 - 1 West Ham
West Ham 2 - 1 Nottm Forest
Portsmouth 0 - 1 West Ham
Sheff Wed 1 - 0 West Ham
West Ham 1 - 0 Coventry
Derby 2 - 1 West Ham
Birmingham 1 - 1 West Ham
West Ham 1 - 0 Barnsley
Reading 3 - 0 West Ham
West Ham 1 - 2 Burnley
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

West Ham Matt wrote:One of Noble, Nolan or Collison needs to be dropped.
fmgod wrote:Noble who has been one of our best players and looked at the peak of his career this year?
Indeed, but Matt is right. That midfield 3 is about as one dimensional as we could have picked.
Who was sitting deep, allowing the others to push up and attempt to help Carlton out?
We need to pick a balanced midfield 3, not pick 3 players, who decent as they are, all basically do similar things

Not sure why Faubert was picked at RB. If Diop was the only injury concern (ie JOB & Demel were available), why did we go with our weakest option at RB?

Very strange, and totally one dimensional line up, imo. My gut feeling is that our whole set up is to accomodate Nolan, and it isn't working on wide variety of levels

Sure, it did sound like one of those nights. Freezing cold, we started slow and sloppy and get punished in the first 5 minutes, so we're playing catch up from the off. After Collison scored, I felt it was the perfect tonic for a comeback. Get in, regroup, only a goal behind for the second half. Their 3rd goal just after knocked the stuffing out of us, which is kinda understandable. Then we just rolled over

But I have to question Sam selections, both in terms of the starting line up, and the subs he made. Just doesn't seem to be making the best use of the resources he has available to him
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

clawhammer wrote:Carlton on his own up front just does not work.
Not with a flat, one dimensional, 5 man midfield, where no one has a chance to get anywhere near him.

He can work well in a lone role, but he needs support. The team needs to be set up with the necessary balance to allow some players to support Cole, whilst some sit and cover for those up with Carlton. With a flat line of 5 midfielders no one is ever going to get close enough to Cole to make that system work
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Expect to see 4-3-1-2 next home game, which will change to 4-5-1 after 20 minutes of it not working and our one paced mid field getting the runa around.

Vaz Te to come on, Morrison to stand up front alongside Nolan (didn't the Mancs say he doesn't defend) and all 3 of Nolan, Vaz Te and Morrison standing somewhere between the centre circle and the D with their hands on their hips (might have mentionede this before but with different personnel) moaning at all and sundry while we get completely over run and lose 3-0 to Illwall (not a typo)

:lol:
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Must also be added...what a poorly policed night.

The Suffolk law had been around and told every Publican that a "Riot was expected" and home fans only were to be served.

This obviously led to a less than warm welcome...

Then you had the over zealous stewarding and the Zero common sense (and pi$$ poor attitude) from the Plod at the ground.

What a pathetic bunch :thdn:
chuffster
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by chuffster »

WorcesterWHU wrote:Has Sam given a presser after this one yet?

I really don't want to read "the penalty was the turning point"...

Was just about to ask the same thing-he seems very quiet!
RM6

Post by RM6 »

There will no doubt be many people nursing new ars"holes this morning.
Hammer Laffers
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Hammer Laffers »

Romford wrote:Must also be added...what a poorly policed night.

The Suffolk law had been around and told every Publican that a "Riot was expected" and home fans only were to be served.

This obviously led to a less than warm welcome...

Then you had the over zealous stewarding and the Zero common sense (and pi$$ poor attitude) from the Plod at the ground.

What a pathetic bunch :thdn:
Really? I had the complete opposite happen to me. Came out the station, "If you're looking for a pub where you lads will get served then here are some directions. Have a good evening."

Another one reminded me about when the last trains back were and where they stopped.

And walking up to the ground looking for the away entrance a copper stopped, gave us directions and wished us luck.

I've never seen friendlier coppers in my life (Except for Greenwich Met).
clawhammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by clawhammer »

Romford wrote:Must also be added...what a poorly policed night.
I thought the exact opposite. No problems in the pub. Stewards helpful and friendly. Plenty of Police around but seemed low key. It was a good night except for the game! Different strokes I suppose!
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1224 likes
Total likes: 1643 likes

Post by last.caress »

^^^^^^^^^ :lol: It's just Romford. Proper known to plod across the nation!
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

All these millions of words about formations,management.

It is so clear. When defending we dont have enough pace or guile to get out of our own half. And there is no one in the squad who can bring this.

Sam is at fault only by not trying a combination that excludes Nolan, as the Team without width does not play to his few strengths.

I dont know if Vaz Te is the answer...look forward to finding out.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2941 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

carnage wrote:Our defence is the problem and has been for a couple of years now. Some of us have been saying it since then. Our owners though have a fasciantion with buying strikers. Until they start paying the same attention to the defence then we are going to struggle.
I think they have an aversion to buying defenders.
:thup:

Been saying this for a while .

Reid is the only defender we have bought in 2 years .He was bought by David Sullivan on the back of a World Cup .The owners appear not to want to fund transfer fees for defenders - for any of the three Managers they have employed .

If we don't play Diop to shield them we are vulnerable .We compound our weakness by hoofing the ball straight over the heads of the midfield to a lone forward, who has no support within 25 yards, we lose the ball and it comes straight back at us......

And another thing .......the corners to the back stick for Tomkins to head have been rumbled since about , ooh, lets see , November .....
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

http://www.whufc.com/articles/20120201/ ... 84_2596073" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nolan apologises.
West Ham Matt
Karl Pilkington
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 583 likes

Post by West Ham Matt »

I have personally never rated Tomkins, but he seems to have found his level.

Faye in for Reid for me.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Hammer Laffers wrote:
Really? I had the complete opposite happen to me. Came out the station, "If you're looking for a pub where you lads will get served then here are some directions. Have a good evening."

Another one reminded me about when the last trains back were and where they stopped.

And walking up to the ground looking for the away entrance a copper stopped, gave us directions and wished us luck.

I've never seen friendlier coppers in my life (Except for Greenwich Met).
So you went to the away pub they opened especially for us...and you left the town.

I think thats their job mate 8-)

If you turned up early doors and fancied going to better pubs....and were "sitting" in the "family" area...you got the Hokey Cokey every 2 mins due to the stewards being daft, your beer stolen and the plod giving attitude.