Ipswich Town 5 West Ham Utd 1 (31/01/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

clawhammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 25 likes

Re: One thing brilliant about the Ipswich game

Post by clawhammer »

Some real classics being sung....

" Top of the league and we're ****ing ****! and "You only sing when you're farming". Oh how we laughed.
C&B Army for 20+ minutes was awesome.
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

Support was great yesterday. :thup:
BMLGirl
Has liked: 186 likes
Total likes: 67 likes

Re: Ipswich Town F.C. vs West Ham United: match thread

Post by BMLGirl »

Jabsco79 wrote:I will reserve my judgement on Allardyce until the end of season when his brief to get promotion, will have been achieved or otherwise. Until then I give him the benefit of the doubt, although remain of the opinion that he is a managerial dinosaur and although not the correct choice for the club (not hindsight, just personal opinion at the time of his appointment and never changed since), the obvious choice based on the owners managerial appointment history and their personal style preference.

Playing devils advocate, I do not recall Norwich or Swansea 'hoofing' their way out of the Championship last year under young, bright managers with proper footballing principles and fresh ideas.
I went to about 10 Norwich games last year (including their 5-1 hammering of Ipswich at Portman Road) and every single game was entertaining - great football, played mainly on the ground, worked together as a team, had pace players on wings, never saw a player not trying (Lansbury was brilliant for them - probably style of play, our hoofball does not suit him) - all in all, everything we are not. And this is why they are doing to so well this season too. Even if we do get promoted, I can't see us staying up without a radical change of personnel, which probably won't happen.
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

BPRIGGSC wrote:Solid performances over the last few weeks
Lucky performances
lukeWHU

Post by lukeWHU »

Collison, MaCartney and Faubert should be made to train with the youth team after that performance. Disgusting. Collison is a bottle job. Fact. MaCartney and Faubert simply cannot defend. Their positional play is all over the place.

Its pointless saying "drop Nolan". BFS isnt going to ever do that. Nolan wasn't bad last night - he was simply non-existent. He didnt have the ball enough to be bad.

Landsbury worked hard. We should have moved him into the centre and put collison wide, early on in the game. That would have at least added a bit of bite to the midfield. Thought Taylor did ok considering he has been out for a while.

The support those tossers got was immense. They didnt deserve it.
Belgian Iron
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Belgian Iron »

clawhammer wrote:C&B Army for 20+ minutes was awesome.
I did everything in my power to keep that one going, actually started it off with my mate. :lol:

Massive!
I had a great journey despite the shambles on the pitch. Big headache at work now though!

IRONS!
lukeWHU

Post by lukeWHU »

sjb958 wrote:..... at away games. I would never describe our home support as amazing.
Other than the 30000+ fans that turn up at home games to watch championship football. That in itself is amazing.
bendavids

Post by bendavids »

Personal favourite was 'You're going home on a Combine Harvester'. Great fans. TERRIBLE match.
lukeWHU wrote:Collison is a bottle job. Fact.
That's not a fact. Fact.
lukeWHU

Post by lukeWHU »

[/quote] That's not a fact. Fact.[/quote]

He does not tackle. That is a fact.
West Ham Matt
Karl Pilkington
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 583 likes

Post by West Ham Matt »

One of Noble, Nolan or Collison needs to be dropped.

Morrison straight in, with Vaz Te and Maynard.

Morrison ahead of Dioup and Noble/Nolan...

Vaz Te on the right, Taylor left and Maynard through the middle.

Or 4-4-2 with Baldock and Maynard imo
Belgian Iron
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Belgian Iron »

brownout wrote:Couldn't find anywhere except MacDonalds to eat.
Say what?! only 200 metres from McDonalds there was 'Frank & Benny's', a lovely Italian restaurant. Delicious food :D
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

I walked away from last nights match feeling exactly the same way as I did in the home game against this lot.

I will put the loss of both games down to the fact that Paul Jewell knows how to play against Big Sam. On paper we should have wiped the floor with Ipswich, but tactically they were better, it's a simple as that. Everyone had a job and they did it well.
The endless long ball was snuffed out and the midfield was packed so when we eventually got the ball and tried to play some triangles we had no room to and made countlesss errors.

Frustrating, painful & poor pretty much sums it up, but I can's see this changing any time soon, although I still think we will win the league.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 82 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

had a freebie in the farmers end which im glad i didnt take up - would have been insufferable and the journey home would have been a nightmare with a gloating carrot cruncher - he text me this morning - was it all a dream
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

paulhs1 wrote:I walked away from last nights match feeling exactly the same way as I did in the home game against this lot.

I will put the loss of both games down to the fact that Paul Jewell knows how to play against Big Sam. On paper we should have wiped the floor with Ipswich, but tactically they were better, it's a simple as that. Everyone had a job and they did it well.
The endless long ball was snuffed out and the midfield was packed so when we eventually got the ball and tried to play some triangles we had no room to and made countlesss errors.

Frustrating, painful & poor pretty much sums it up, but I can's see this changing any time soon, although I still think we will win the league.
Exactly the same sentiments, but we are going to find that so many managers know how Sam plays the game, for far too long we have been hanging on and winning by the string of our teeth!

Yes drop players, bring in new exciting players, but does it makes Any difference at all the Sam Way? someone has to tell him and he thinks he is England Manager material deluded is not the word. Feel for some players and those of us who travelled to see it.
Bill
Stranded in the smog
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Bill »

We now have 9 strikers on our books and we play one up front. You couldn't make this up.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

jaybs wrote: Exactly the same sentiments, but we are going to find that so many managers know how Sam plays the game, for far too long we have been hanging on and winning by the string of our teeth!

Yes drop players, bring in new exciting players, but does it makes Any difference at all the Sam Way? someone has to tell him and he thinks he is England Manager material deluded is not the word. Feel for some players and those of us who travelled to see it.
With all these new attacking players im not sure where they fit into the 451 system, as BFS mostly goes for one big front man!
Aceface
Has liked: 375 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

Well at least we've got our humiliating annual reaming out the way.

Be thankful for 3 things...

1. It wasn't on TV
2. It wasn't Millwall
3. We're still unfathomably top of the league

...and then never speak of it again
giantsteps

Post by giantsteps »

paulhs1 wrote:
Totally agree

Too much disdain on this thread. We played how we've played away from home all season, the only difference is Ipswich were straight at us from the off and had been obvs briefed by Jewell on how we would play. Also, our 'best defence in the league' was absolutely shocking

Add this with a combination of transfer deadline mayhem and I think it's fair to say we were well and truly caught short

A forgettable night for all involved
Rode one wrong

Post by Rode one wrong »

joyful wrote:Mostly only done home games this season but I have found it difficult to understand how we are top of the league.
Its because the league is so competitive. Normally you need 2 points per game +1 for the pot to win a league. 3 teams in the Premier league are doing better than that. No one in the championship is even close. Whether its bad competitive or good competitive is open to debate, and perhaps can best be judged by how well promoted teams do in the Premier League.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

West Ham Matt wrote:One of Noble, Nolan or Collison needs to be dropped.
Noble who has been one of our best players and looked at the peak of his career this year?