Peterborough Utd V West Ham Utd: MATCH POSTPONED (11/02/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

indiehammer

Re: Peterborough United V West Ham United Match Thread

Post by indiehammer »

I'm hoping Papa is back for this, we need someone to sit infront of the back 4 and tackle, especially as Peterborough will really bring the game to us. If not, i'd stick with Tomkins there, i think he done reasonably well agaist Wall and i'd say a better option that anything we have. Sam eluded to the fact, after yesterdays game, that Noble is not comfortable playing defensive midfield and aside from that we only have attacking midfielders.

Not that Sam would play it, but i'd personally go with a 4-2-3-1 formation, a la Real Madrid.

.......................................Greeno.................................

O'Brien...........Tomkins................Reid............Macca

................................Noble..........Diop...........................

...Fauert.........................Maynard....................Taylor...

..........................................Cole.......................................

Subs: Faye, O'Neil, Collison, Baldock, Vaz Te

With Noble and Diop both sitting in midfield, but a licence for Noble to get forward and pass when we attack. It gives Sam his defensive options in midfield and allows our wide midfielders and Maynard to get up the park and deliver a lot more support for Carlton.

Against Millwall, it seems like we have finally gone up a gear in terms of our play this season (assuming we continue playing like it). As we have shown how well we can play without being ultra defensive, i see no reason to play with one striker from now on. Obviously Sam loves his 4-3-3, 4-5-1 but with Nolan out i feel we can still play with a similar formation with an extra striker in Nolan's place but pushed further upfield. It would be a real shame to see both Maynard and Baldock occupy the bench for the majority of the run in. No doubt at least one of them will come from the bench every game and they'll be called upon when we suffer injuries but if we want to score goals, our goal scorers need to be starting.

Against the leagues tougher opponents, i wouldn't be adverse to seeing Jack get his chance and play in Nolan's position, but with confidence high and Peterborough having not scored more than one goal in a game since November, we can take that extra risk and give Maynard his debut.

COYI!!! :crest:
Last edited by indiehammer on Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

DerHammerReturns wrote:I personally think it would be better to rest Cole here and save him for the Southampton game where he can with any luck destroy them. So, this is my shout:

Green
O'Brien Tomkins Reid Macca
Diop
Faubert Noble Taylor
Vaz Te
Maynard

Bench: Faye, Lansbury, Collison, Cole, Baldock
Good point :thup: If Sam feels that Maynard knows his team mates well enough to lead the line on Saturday, i'd start him if Cole needs a rest.
Posh-Hammer

Post by Posh-Hammer »

AJ wrote:when does charters open?
AJ it says on thier site it opens at 11.30am.
Posh-Hammer

Post by Posh-Hammer »

Cheers Doc, mines a white wine :wink:
I can see Maynard playing and putting one or two past the posh, Really looking forward to this, especially standing in the terrace, just how it should be
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Will be interesting to see what Sam decides to do with Tomkins, Faye and Reid for this one. I've been wanting to have a look what would happen with all three on the pitch for a while - although I was thinking more 3 across the back rather than squeezing one in at DM given none of them are particularly brilliant distributors of the ball (as yet - the two younger ones have scope to add that in future perhaps). More likely though, someone's going to be very unlucky and be benched
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

I reckon he will play the same team again except putting in Maynard to replace the suspended Nolan. :think:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Green

JOB
Faye
Winston
Linda

Tomka

Faubs
Marko Van Nobeston
Collison
Taylor

Cole

Subs: Keeper, Papa, Angela, Vaz Te, Baldock
ExileN21

Post by ExileN21 »

First time I have seen West Ham live for a while yesterday, and I was struck how laboured Collinson was. I would go with the earlier post that had Taylor in for Collinson, Manard in for Nolan. Thought Tompkins was decent as holding mid field and made some important interventions in deffence.
kthammer

Post by kthammer »

ExileN21 wrote: I was struck how laboured Collinson was.
sad but true - didn't play badly, but he even got knocked off the ball a couple of times and not strong enough in the tackle - not sure what's happening with him.
Voronin

Post by Voronin »

prophet:marginal wrote:Green

JOB
Faye
Winston
Linda

Tomka

Faubs
Marko Van Nobeston
Collison
Taylor

Cole

My exact team. Allthoguh I´d put Maynard and O´Neil on the bench for keeper and Papa. Is Lansbury injured or was he just left out?
Last edited by Voronin on Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
durham city hammer

Post by durham city hammer »

Green
o'brien, reid, tomkins, mcartney
diop/ tomkins
noble, o'neil
faubert, vaz te
maynard

I like collison but he lost possession too many times on saturday that could have cost us, from what i have seen of o'neil over the years he is just as comfortable in the middle so i would put him in there for his energy and workrate also he can pass a ball which, saturday apart has been a problem for our midfield, would love to see Vaz te in a front three to give us more of a threat offensively, he will more than likely go with taylor though unfortunately and i do worry he won't utilize his attacking options in the remainder of the season but thats another subject, with tuesday and southampton in mind i would rest cole and give maynard a chance to hit the ground running against a team that concedes alot of goals, i think we could muller this lot if we went at them, but with Ipswich still fresh in the mind and sam being sam i don't see it happening!
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

prophet:marginal wrote:Green

JOB
Faye
Winston
Linda

Tomka

Faubs
Marko Van Nobeston
Collison
Taylor

Cole

Marko Van Nobeston! :lol:

That's the line up I'd go with.
The 10 players who played most of the game on saturday were excellent, and showed how a balance side can look. We had natural width in Taylor & Faubert, a good balance between defence and attack in CM, which allowed us to get it down and pull the opposition about, even with 10 men. I guess it's tempting to pick those 10, and add another striker (Maynard or Balders) to make a 4-4-2. As we're away, and Sam seems to be a tad reluctant to play 2 strikers, I'd go with Collison, between the midfield & Cole, and instruct him to give Carlton support, in what I see as our best system:-

There's room for a bit of tinkering in terms of personell, but that is the formation we should be using, imo
Sure, Diop could come in alongside Van Nobeston, and Tomkins back in defence.

The key to me is:- Noble alongside a DM, Collison playing in the hole between Cole & Noble, and 2 wide options who are proper wide players, rather than square pegs
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

I reckon it will be a 4-5-1 job away to Peterborough. They score a lot of goals but also concede so Sam will probably want to keep it tight knowing we should put some past their dodgy defence.

I am going to go for 3-1 to us.
Upton Larks

Post by Upton Larks »

WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

A Long Shot but...

If anyone has a spare TERRACE ticket they wish to Sell for this please PM me!

Gutted I missed on this as I was abroad when tickets went on Sale.

To compound the issue I actually have to be in Peterborough that morning anyway!! :cry:

Thanks in hope..
Goldsmith

Post by Goldsmith »

I've just realised that we have two players tailor-made for a 5-3-2 formation in the form of Taylor and Faubert who I'm sure could do a good job as wing-backs up and down the flanks! I'm not a fan of five at the back this is a potential system IMO:

Green

Faubert - Reid - Tomkins - Faye - Taylor

O'Neil - Noble - Collison

Maynard - Cole
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

kthammer wrote:sad but true - didn't play badly, but he even got knocked off the ball a couple of times and not strong enough in the tackle - not sure what's happening with him.
He's playing his first full season since coming back from a 14+ month lay off. (I put the '+' because he should never have been brought back and made to play last May). He's bound to be a bit slower than the rest. He's been in almost every squad this season and more often than not, the starting 11, most of the time playing out of position on the wing. Wingers have to run much, much more than central midfielders do and i think Collison has played there admirably. Hopefully he gets his chance in CAM with Nolan out and we'll see a different quality of player who can add to his 3 goals and 4 assists.
Smonnie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Smonnie »

Goldsmith wrote:I've just realised that we have two players tailor-made for a 5-3-2 formation in the form of Taylor and Faubert who I'm sure could do a good job as wing-backs up and down the flanks! I'm not a fan of five at the back this is a potential system IMO:

Green

Faubert - Reid - Tomkins - Faye - Taylor

O'Neil - Noble - Collison

Maynard - Cole
Been talking about this with the old man for a while now. Having seen Tomkins in the role he played against Millwall gives me more confidence that this could work.

However, Sam would probably instruct the wing-backs to focus too much on the defensive side, and then we really would have no width.
PaoloD
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by PaoloD »

Tomkins should move back to CB. Playing a DM should not be a necessity against at least of the teams in the league, let alone taking our best centre half out of his comfort zone (square peg, round hole secerio which was the norm under Grant) just to accomodate in the absense of Diop. Here's an idea; why not go crazy and play an orthadox midfielder like O'Neill? A difficult decision on who to drop at CB but there you go. Collison has been been average to poor all season and needs a spell out of the side to get the hint that he needs to buck his ideas up. Not the same player as the one who broker through and showed obvious promise.

Green

O'Brien, Tomkins, Reid, McCartney

Faubert, O'Neil, Noble, Taylor,

Cole, Maynard

Vaz Te
Collison
Faye
Morrison
Stech
Chavs
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 762 likes