West Ham Utd 1 Southampton 1 (14/02/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

mywhufc

Re: West Ham Utd v Southampton: match thread

Post by mywhufc »

another good performance from 10 men hammers which for me, let allardyces set up off the hook. 1 man up front at home, still, why sign even more strikers if their not got a chance, tomkins in midfield is still wrong. Faubert, i dont get what people see in him, yeah he runs up and down but every cross goes astray, yet that is what hes in the team for. the only players that look good enough to keep us in the premiership are ones that were here before BFS turned up. he's built a team to go up but not one to stay up.
The players take all the credit for the past 2 games in getting points when going a man down.
TheAlmightyAmmer

Post by TheAlmightyAmmer »

We had Vaz Te who is a wing forward and can play upfront

Just because you have one upfront doesn't mean you're negative, which showed by the way we started the game
mushy
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 833 likes

Post by mushy »

I actually had Reid down as my MOTM, just ahead of Noble.
Thought it was his beat game for us.
Tarbs
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Tarbs »

mywhufc wrote:another good performance from 10 men hammers which for me, let allardyces set up off the hook. 1 man up front at home, still, why sign even more strikers if their not got a chance, tomkins in midfield is still wrong. Faubert, i dont get what people see in him, yeah he runs up and down but every cross goes astray, yet that is what hes in the team for. the only players that look good enough to keep us in the premiership are ones that were here before BFS turned up. he's built a team to go up but not one to stay up.
The players take all the credit for the past 2 games in getting points when going a man down.
Yeah Allardyce hasn't cut it this season. We would probably be higher up the league if we had someone else.
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

mywhufc wrote:another good performance from 10 men hammers which for me, let allardyces set up off the hook. 1 man up front at home, still, why sign even more strikers if their not got a chance, tomkins in midfield is still wrong. Faubert, i dont get what people see in him, yeah he runs up and down but every cross goes astray, yet that is what hes in the team for. the only players that look good enough to keep us in the premiership are ones that were here before BFS turned up. he's built a team to go up but not one to stay up.
Team - Negative
Manager - Negative
Top of the League - Negative
Olympic Stadium - Negative

Sure you not a Spud on a long fishing trip?

The last two games both performance and support has been for me, what West Ham is really about :thup:
LeeWHU88

Post by LeeWHU88 »

Tarbs wrote:Yeah Allardyce hasn't cut it this season. We would probably be higher up the league if we had someone else.
:D

In response to the "He hasn't built a team to stay up" comment, I don't think we are far off a decent Premiership team to be honest. All the players we have can do a job in the Premiership,weather as 1st team players or back up players, 2 new full backs and a centre half are key for me.

We've got decent enough midfielders and strikers who could cut it in the top flight under the guidance of Allardyce,We've seen from Norwich and Swansea that you don't need a massive overhaul of playing staff to have a chance of survival, Grant Holt was with Norwich from League 1 and Swansea signed Graham from Watford,so Baldock and Maynard may thrive in the top flight.
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

GeorgeParris'Pet wrote:Perhaps rather than insist on one formation a manager should be able to adapt the formation he plays depending on the players at his disposal.

Or is a number of square pegs in round holes a good idea?
Thx GPP - you've nicely summed up Mr Entertainment's tactical and strategic nous there.
durham city hammer

Post by durham city hammer »

Despite never really being a fan of Allardyce before he came here i did used to admire how his Blackburn team played at ewood park, their workrate and constant pressing of the opposition made them incredibly hard to beat at home, the last two home games have seen all those things with the added bonus of some decent football to boot, might be jumping the gun but maybe after just over half a season the players are finally buying into how he likes his teams to work and press teams constantly? bringing two, possibly three quality players in during the window has almost certainly helped as well, healthy competition for places is always a good thing! on subject of vaz te's defending it depends on what you want i suppose, we have all complained about us not offering enough offensively, well he offers us alot in that department but little defensively, very few players of his type do though and would i much rather have him in the side than a more defensive player, especially at home!
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

Is their any proper footage of the Taylor sending off yet, or the hand balls for that matter?

As soon as i saw taylor go for him I thought he had to go. Would like to see if my first impression is wrong.
Last edited by jacko on Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dapablo
Sourpuss, grumpy face

Post by dapablo »

GeorgeParris'Pet wrote:Perhaps rather than insist on one formation a manager should be able to adapt the formation he plays depending on the players at his disposal.

Or is a number of square pegs in round holes a good idea?
richneal wrote:Thx GPP - you've nicely summed up Mr Entertainment's tactical and strategic nous there.
Or perhaps it's just bleedin stupid to change a winning formulae, especialy with the variety of players needing to be employed but obvioulsy that wouldn't conform to the prejudice.
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

Irrons wrote:A few things I think worth mentioning that weren't in the match report:

Green - Some great saves bar the Lambert shot which he made amends for, but some very erratic goal kicks one of which could have been costly (similar to the one at the Millwall game)

Noble - MOTM definitely, but his set pieces and free kicks were very wasteful as we were down to ten men - mostly poor floated crosses when they should be whipped in with pace (like Southamptons were)

Faubert - great effort defensively and closing down which led to chances, but back to his usual poor crosses, some very poor passing and wasteful in several good positions. Millwall is still his best performance so far for me and hopefully he can be more consistent going forward
Agree with all of that. Green's kicking put us under pressure at times. He was so good on the whole that it seems like nitpicking.

We had a freekick in a decent position near the end and you just knew it wasn't going to go flying in. We just seem hopeless at that time of set piece.

JF is industrious and hard working but he was the death of a number of good moves last night. Frustrating because he puts in a good shift.
GeorgeParris'Pet

Post by GeorgeParris'Pet »

dapablo wrote:Or perhaps it's just bleedin stupid to change a winning formulae, especialy with the variety of players needing to be employed but obvioulsy that wouldn't conform to the prejudice.
Allardyce has banged on all season about the magic 2 points a game will see us promoted. The last two games have got us exactly that.

Applying your logic then it'd be bleeding stupid not to get a man sent off within the first 15 minutes of our next two games...? :think:
dapablo
Sourpuss, grumpy face

Post by dapablo »

GeorgeParris'Pet wrote:Applying your logic then it'd be bleeding stupid not to get a man sent off within the first 15 minutes of our next two games...? :think:
Not quite, I'd suggest my principle should be considered over a longer period than two games, 5-6 games you might have an opportunity to propose a different case with others considered support for it.
claret-hammer

Post by claret-hammer »

listened on the radio last night what was the away support like,were they vocal them lot claiming they made all the noise.
i didnt hear them,but i was listening on the radio.
also the sharp n taylor incident papers showing pics of taylor grabbing his throat,they never mentioned that either,so how could the lino have seen it.
great performance considering proud to be a hammer coyi
TheAlmightyAmmer

Post by TheAlmightyAmmer »

claret-hammer wrote:listened on the radio last night what was the away support like,were they vocal them lot claiming they made all the noise.
i didnt hear them,but i was listening on the radio.
also the sharp n taylor incident papers showing pics of taylor grabbing his throat,they never mentioned that either,so how could the lino have seen it.
great performance considering proud to be a hammer coyi
They were very quiet I thought and to say they made all the noise is laughable
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

I didn't know Southampton's song was bubbles ? Thats allI could hear last night.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 144 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

[quote][/quote]
They were very quiet I thought and to say they made all the noise is laughable

hear hear
Adie64
Has liked: 466 likes

Post by Adie64 »

MD_HM wrote: Team - Negative
Manager - Negative
Top of the League - Negative
Olympic Stadium - Negative

Sure you not a Spud on a long fishing trip?

The last two games both performance and support has been for me, what West Ham is really about :thup:
I know what you mean mate, I've had the same feeling is there anything about West Ham that Mywhufc likes.
Iron Mark
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Iron Mark »

Was the Hooiveld handball appeal in the first half from a Tomkins header that was goal bound?

If it was how I think it was (down the other end so not sure), could he have been sent off as well as a penalty had the ref got it right?

Seeing as he says on twitter that he got away with it, is he bringing the game into disrepute?
MK Hammer 3

Post by MK Hammer 3 »

And if the ref didn't see it and took no action, then he should be getting an automatic three match ban.