West Ham Utd 1 Southampton 1 (14/02/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Southampton: match thread

Post by richneal »

GeorgeParris'Pet wrote:Perhaps rather than insist on one formation a manager should be able to adapt the formation he plays depending on the players at his disposal.
richneal wrote:Thx GPP - you've nicely summed up Mr Entertainment's tactical and strategic nous there.
dapablo wrote:Or perhaps it's just bleedin stupid to change a winning formulae, especialy with the variety of players needing to be employed but obvioulsy that wouldn't conform to the prejudice.
Dapablo, even I can't dispute the winning thing (except for those matches where we haven't won, eg. when we trotted down the A12 a little while back for a 5-1 drubbing that was nothing short of diabolical mate), and I I certainly am very happy with our league position.

The trouble is that Mr Entertainment drives me ****ing nuts - I can't handle what seems to be season-long 4-5-1's that are just plain boring. Now, my apparent neurosis with boring football isn't your problem mate - I wish I could go into therapy and sort it out, I hate grinding my teeth and pulling my greying hair out. And the word prejudice doesn't even begin to do justice towards my feelings about Mr Entertainment's tactics mate: let me assure you, it's far worse than that. Maybe Cognitive Behavioural Therapy would sort me out, I dunno . . .
rare as rockinghorse shat
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Yes, he is a conniving little b*stard, but Sharp hardly went down 'clutching his face' as many have said :lol:
TheAlmightyAmmer

Post by TheAlmightyAmmer »

Didn't he?!

LeonRivers
Has liked: 1027 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

Anyone remember what happened to Kyle Lafferty when he feigned a facial injury playing for Glasgow Rangers? A pretty hefty retrospective ban if my memory serves correctly.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Even the refs having a boot...
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2634 likes
Total likes: 1176 likes

Post by EvilC »

Having just seen the highlights on the BBC website, I'm still not sure if Noble dived or not, and Ricardo Vaz Te was almost as annoyed with Taylor as I was.
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Yes, he is a conniving little b*stard, but Sharp hardly went down 'clutching his face' as many have said :lol:

Having just seen the highlights, I have to agree with you, after his theatrical fall to the floor he went to hold his face but then stopped.
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

Right or wrong I just think Sharp did what 95% of modern day footballers would have done. Taylor was the ****ing idiot of the situation, not him
lukeWHU

Post by lukeWHU »

Yea Why Not wrote:Right or wrong I just think Sharp did what 95% of modern day footballers would have done. Taylor was the ******* idiot of the situation, not him
Disagree. Sharp should be ashamed of himself. Nolan, Noble etc would not throw themselves on the floor like that. Never a sending off.

TheAlmightyAmmer wrote:Didn't he?!
No, he didn't.

What does that show? A bloke on the deck and you can't see his hands or face. :lol:
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

lukeWHU wrote: Disagree. Sharp should be ashamed of himself. Nolan, Noble etc would not throw themselves on the floor like that. Never a sending off.
As soon as you grab someone around the neck you are off. Whether he went down or not it was a red card
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2634 likes
Total likes: 1176 likes

Post by EvilC »

lukeWHU wrote:Disagree. Sharp should be ashamed of himself. Nolan, Noble etc would not throw themselves on the floor like that. Never a sending off.
Cisse was sent off for something fairly similar to what Taylor went for, he went to grab Sharp's throat, which is why he went. Sharp might be a **** for his reaction but Taylor gave him the opportunity to do so.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 818 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Yea Why Not wrote:As soon as you grab someone around the neck you are off. Whether he went down or not it was a red card
Out of interest, were you actually there?
roblo
Has liked: 151 likes
Total likes: 118 likes

Post by roblo »

The most irritating thing is that the lino sees it all. EVERYTHING. It's literally in front of him. The left hand is directly in his eye line, completely unobstructed. The referee sees it from a crowd of people, dealing with a separate issue on the penalty spot.

Whether it's a red card or not is up for debate (I'm still undecided) but as I said at the time, and at half time, and after seeing the replay, the decision for the referee to send him off without consulting the linesman (unless they have some sort of code) is totally ridiculous and makes a further mockery of the officiating on the night.
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

RichieRiv wrote:Out of interest, were you actually there?
Ye I was there. Funnily enough I see it as a push in the chest at the time :lol:

Go a few pages back on this thread and you'll see a picture of Taylor grabbing Sharp around the neck. Thats a red card

Cisse got rightfully sent off for a similar offence last week
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

Heres the picture for anyone who hasn't seen it

Yea Why Not wrote:Go a few pages back on this thread and you'll see a picture of Taylor grabbing Sharp around the neck. Thats a red card
Maybe not quite.

You've chosen to look at a singular framed photo as set evidence of him 'grabbing him round the throat'.
The video evidence suggest something a little different.

Maybe Taylor pushed the aggressor away (and Sharp was the original aggressor, let's not forget) from his team mate, around the chest area, with his hands sliding up towards his neck - probably involuntarily during the scuffle - at which point the picture was then taken?

This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhJMKESQM34#t=0m17s is grabbing someone by the throat.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 610 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

So, for the record RARS, do you think he rightly got a red card :think:
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

Rars, look at the picture

Look at Sharp's face and look at Taylors hand :lol:

He has raised his hands and grabbed/ hit/ pushed Sharp in the throat. It's a red card in todays football what ever way you want to look at it. And Taylor was 100% the aggressor considering he charged over the Sharp unprovoked

Bristol

No, he shouldn't have got sent off.

If he had gone up to the player, without 'reason', as an act of violence to strike or 'assault' him, then yes.

But in the situation, Sharp was the aggressor towards Noble.
Taylor was the one who intervened, pushing the player (not in the face or grabbing him intentionally around the throat) away from his team mate, causing Sharp to fabricate and therefore intentionally exasperate the act, which duly worked.

Should have been a yellow card, for Sharp and Taylor.