West Ham Utd 1 Southampton 1 (14/02/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Southampton: match thread

Post by wizzo_66 »

Thought this game was up there with Millwall in terms of performance, and atmosphere. I believe we are really growing in terms of our performances now. The only downside for me is our disciplinary record. Whichever way you look at the last few sendings off, they could have been avoided by keeping our heads a bit better. For me, the red cards against Millwall and Southampton have cost us a better goal difference and 2 points. Having said that, I believe we have played far better without Nolan as our attacking movement has been excellent. Great run out for Vaz Te, was impressed with his all round play. I felt Cole ran out of steam far too quickly but he has worked really hard over the last couple games.

Southampton have a team capable of finishing 2nd or 3rd based on their home form. They did create a few good chances shortly after the sending off and could have been 2-1 up going into half time if it wasn't for Green. However, we created some great chances ourselves and went on to boss a game with 10 men - really impressive. I think it says more about our title credentials than Southampton's potential slide down the table.

Can't wait for the Palace game, I hope we can really put a few past them in this game and show what we are all about. I think it's only a matter of time before we really give a team a hiding, we're starting to pass and move effectively whilst being defensively sound as well. For tactics, fitness and resiliance, well done BFS :thup:
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

On another note, I'm starting to believe Sam enjoys playing with 10 men. It allows him to adopt his preferred tactics without anyone moaning :wink:
wizzo_66

Post by wizzo_66 »

Yea Why Not wrote:On another note, I'm starting to believe Sam enjoys playing with 10 men. It allows him to adopt his preferred tactics without anyone moaning :wink:
I would argue that potentially we play better with 10 men because we can't play hoofball. When down to 10 men it is highly unlikely that we will win the second ball off of a flick on because we don't have as many players on the pitch. Therefore, % football when down to 10 men is by playing it on the floor, as we have more chance of retaining posession!
smuts
Has liked: 1493 likes
Total likes: 1430 likes

Post by smuts »

That sort of shoving always goes on where there are scuffles of that nature.

It's just that 95% of players don't go down like a sack of **** when shoved in the chest.
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

wizzo_66 wrote:
I would argue that potentially we play better with 10 men because we can't play hoofball. When down to 10 men it is highly unlikely that we will win the second ball off of a flick on because we don't have as many players on the pitch. Therefore, % football when down to 10 men is by playing it on the floor, as we have more chance of retaining posession!
Did you see the ammount of punts we played on Tuesday?
joyful

Post by joyful »

If Taylor's got any sense he'll claim that Sharp called him a faggot... :)
wizzo_66

Post by wizzo_66 »

Matt of iron wrote: Did you see the ammount of punts we played on Tuesday?
Green punted from goal kicks (as he has done as a rule this season, bloody hate his kicking) but generally we had the ball on the floor, also bearing in mind that Southampton had a fair chunk of posession anyway. Noble and Tomkins collected from midfield all game.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Come off it :lol:

Near enough every time our fullbacks had the ball they punted it long
wizzo_66

Post by wizzo_66 »

Don't agree with that at all. Countless times McCartney and Vaz Te doubled up to keep posession and swap passes. Now I don't rate McCartney personally but I don't feel we over hoofed in this game at all.
Tarbs
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Tarbs »

Yea Why Not wrote:On another note, I'm starting to believe Sam enjoys playing with 10 men...
Things like this bring the team closer together. New found unity may be the difference between a loss or a draw 1 or 2 times in the remainder of the season.
PrawnSandwich

Post by PrawnSandwich »

Matt of iron wrote: Did you see the ammount of punts we played on Tuesday?
Listened to it on the radio, but I'm guessing between their starting line up, their subs, the ref and the linesmen it was probably 17-18.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 829 likes
Total likes: 1963 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Romford wrote:What is Sharp doing confronting both the ref and then Noble ??

If Noble would have pushed him away...the exact same thing would have happened.

Taylor tried to stop him first and it didn't stop Sharp...its when he continued to threaten that the push came.

I personally think Soton came onto the pitch to make the most of every and any situation....inc where their players were dropping like flies and crowding the ref on every occasion.

Their behavior all night was a joke....and the ref fell for the majority of it.
I think we largely agree, but, whereas you appear to think that Southampton's players caused the sending off, my take - I stress from highlights alone - is that Taylor oughtn't to have risen to the bait.

If Noble had just stood there, letting that clown Sharp get increasingly unhappy about what I assume he was claiming to be a dive, maybe they'd have got the red card, not us?
carnage
Has liked: 85 likes
Total likes: 705 likes

Post by carnage »

I saw a photo that shows Taylor has his hand clasped firmly around Sharps throat.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

carnage wrote:I saw a photo that shows Taylor has his hand clasped firmly around Sharps throat.
I've seen a pic of Kylie Minogue with a huge rack...
Tarbs
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Tarbs »

Iv forgotten what we were angry about now.
PrawnSandwich

Post by PrawnSandwich »

Romford wrote:I've seen a pic of Kylie Minogue with a huge rack...
You holding out on us Romford?
:lol:
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Yea Why Not wrote:Come off it :lol:

Near enough every time our fullbacks had the ball they punted it long
Bowlocks - only at the very end when we had run out of steam was it cleared long, otherwise it was to Cole or Vaz Te to control every time which is why we controlled the game as well as we did
Chavs
Total likes: 760 likes

Post by Chavs »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote: If i remember rightly, myself & Mr Chavs thought out loud on here regarding Sharp's integrity or lack of it in his actions regarding the recent very sad time he went through.
We did bro. Wrong un.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

I8CHAVS wrote:
We did bro. Wrong un.
Definitely.. :thdn:
Marc the Hammer

Post by Marc the Hammer »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17053049#asset" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

video highlights of the southampton game for those that haven't seen it, sharp what a tosser.