West Ham Utd 1 Southampton 1 (14/02/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Southampton: match thread

Post by Coops »

After the behavior of their players and reading the deluded bollox on their forum Southampton are now on my hated teams list. I did actually want them to get promoted but now I have realized what a bunch of tossers they are I really hope they crash and burn.
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Coops wrote:After the behavior of their players and reading the deluded bollox on their forum Southampton are now on my hated teams list. I did actually want them to get promoted but now I have realized what a bunch of tossers they are I really hope they crash and burn.
I agree :thup:
Bradley_m
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Bradley_m »

RichieRiv wrote:Out of interest, were you actually there?
Yea Why Not wrote:Ye I was there. Funnily enough I see it as a push in the chest at the time :lol:

Go a few pages back on this thread and you'll see a picture of Taylor grabbing Sharp around the neck. Thats a red card

Cisse got rightfully sent off for a similar offence last week
You sure you was at the game? Its clearly the lino in the pic where you've commented "even the refs having a boot".
There is no-way anyone could mistake probert for a baldy had you been there.
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

Coops wrote:After the behavior of their players and reading the deluded bollox on their forum Southampton are now on my hated teams list. I did actually want them to get promoted but now I have realized what a bunch of tossers they are I really hope they crash and burn.
Yep. I've liked Southampton for the majority of this season, the way they play, the players they have , the commitment and effort they've shown. I even liked Nigel Adkins, thought he was a great manager at Scunthorpe and often came to West Ham reserves if ever he needed a player (Spence, N'Gala).

I don't know if 'Saintsweb' speaks for the majority of Southampton fans but if it does they come across as utterly deluded. Before & after the match. Before they were all incredibley confident of smashing us, most predicting 3-0 wins, even though they were (and still are) on an awful run of form. Then their team puts in a trash performance and they're all apparently 'delighted' with the point and tipping themselves to finish above us this season. I think if the teams were reversed and it was us with a man extra, this forum would have gone into meltdown and not even BigSam would have respected the point!!

I wouldn't say i hate their fans, but they certainly seem to lack an enormous amount of footballing knowledge. Although i fully respect the intelligent views from the S'hampton fan that posts on here.

In light of the circumstances, that is not a good point for them, they are still are a bad run of form and have been since the start of December and it was a terrible performance by them. Hoofing more than us, fouling more than us and cheating more than us. Their manager too comes across as very arrogant and bitter. I have no doubt he's good at his job, but he presents himself in a very poor manner.

I cant see Southampton finishing in the top two and if they finish in the play off's, i wouldn't back them to win it. They dont seem to have a plan B, unless they are completely out playing the other team, they dont seem to have any other way to win a match. I think their best form has come and gone and unlike Blackpool, Birmingham and ourselves, they wont be able to return to it.

Finally, Billy Sharp is a dreadful player and not just for his play-acting. I'm delighted we grabbed Maynard instead, for half the price!
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1027 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Should have been a yellow card, for Sharp and Taylor.
I agree with this. I have no complaints that Taylor was dismissed though. He was an idiot.
osborner69

Post by osborner69 »

Yep. I've liked Southampton for the majority of this season, the way they play, the players they have , the commitment and effort they've shown. I even liked Nigel Adkins, thought he was a great manager at Scunthorpe and often came to West Ham reserves if ever he needed a player (Spence, N'Gala).
:thup: totally agree with this. I looked at their Saintsweb forum and they really think their sh*t dont stink. They are banging on about their run in being easier than ours, but they have 8 of their last 15 games away. A few interesting stats for any observing Saints:

- Southampton have 4 away wins this season - the same as Nottingham Forest who sit in 23rd
- Southampton currently sit 11th in the away form guide - below the likes of Crystal Palace & Ipswich
- In the last 8 game form guide, Southampton are 16th with just 9 points, 1 point more than bottom of the table Doncaster.

If Saintsweb is anything to judge Southampton fans by, I hope they finish 3rd and lose on penalties in the play off final.
Last edited by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus on Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited long quoted post
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

osborner69 wrote:They are banging on about their run in being easier than ours, but they have 8 of their last 15 games away.
There's the lack of knowledge i'm talking about. So many of them are mentioning 'easier runs', i don't think i've seen a single poster on here talking of how we have more tricky and less so games coming up, why? Because we all know that anyone can beat anyone else in this league and just as you think you're going to win your 8th game in a row (hypothetically), Ipswich will hammer you 5-1 or in their case Bristol City will visit and end your excellent home run.

Of course we have some tough away crowds to silent and need to overcome our own problems i.e. goalscoring but aslong as we aproach every game in the same way, we'll dig out the results. Doncaster at home or Cardiff away, they all pose their own individual problems but aslong as were consistent from now until May, we'll gain promotion.

It's a different kettle of fish when the likes of Man City, Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea are in your run-in, but the majority of teams in this league are equally matched and have the ability to pull off surprises whenever they want. We've beaten some of the 'best' teams this season ('Boro, Hull, Blackpool) but also lost 'easier' games ( Ipswich - twice, Derby, Burnley (H) ), I don't think fixtures on paper mean alot, especially when teams will be fighting for their survival.
carnage
Has liked: 85 likes
Total likes: 705 likes

Post by carnage »

Nevermind, the photo is posted elsewhere.

Comes under violent conduct in my opinion.
Henry Wilt

Post by Henry Wilt »

Has anyone got a link to the highlights that is NOT the BBC please. BBC is not view-able outside the UK.
joyful

Post by joyful »

You could fork out £4.49 a month for West Ham Utd TV. Have to say I have found it worth the money particularly in the championship where it's harder to get anything decent.
Kendal Iron
Has liked: 47 likes

Post by Kendal Iron »

First home match of the season for one of my lads & I. Living in Cumbria we dont get down as often as we would like, especially since my mother isnt living in Harold Wood anymore. We go to quite a few up north though.

Before the match we went & had a look at the Olympic Park, from the outside of course. Looks very impressive - from a distance anyway.

Got off the underground at Plaistow & had a pint & a bite to eat in the Black Lion. Nice to see some things dont change much - a great pub.

Good atmosphere in the ground - best I've been in for a while & great match. Good to see us come out of the blocks so fast, we really took the game to Southampton & I've no doubt we would have won comfortably if it had remained 11 v 11.

The sending off? well it wasnt the worst shove you'll see but I wasnt surprised to see the red card shown & I doubt the appeal will be successful. As for Sharp? - What a tosser! So glad we didnt sign him.

I'm not Allardyce's biggest fan, but you have to say he has installed some much needed backbone into the team. My lad said " last season we would have gone on to lose about 1-4 after having a player sent off"

Great to see a West Ham team defend as if their lives depended on it!

Very disappointed with Southampton - not just their attitude which was ****, diving & whinging all night - but I didnt think they were a very good team, compared with some others, like Leeds & Cardiff, for example.

Gutted when they scored, but that sort of scrappy goal mouth scramble was always the most likely way they were going to equalise.

Vaz Te looks a decent signing & Maynard made a difference when he came on. He put the Soton defence under a lot of pressure with his running.

All in all a great night and a decent result under the circumstances.