West Ham Utd 1 Southampton 1 (14/02/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Re: West Ham Utd v Southampton: match thread

Post by Yea Why Not »

I haven't seen much mention on here of Faubert's handball in the first 10 minutes yesterday. Looked like a penalty to me
TheAlmightyAmmer

Post by TheAlmightyAmmer »

Do you support Southampton?
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Who me?

All I've done is asked for people's opinion on an incident that hasn't really been talked about :lol:
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

The Hooiveld handball was shown on local TV earlier and was a clear cut handball - he actually palmed it away.
Iron Mark
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Iron Mark »

Where was the handball? On the line stopping it going in or ...?
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

In the six yard box, I reckon the keeper would have saved it easily, but that is hardly the point is it?
brucies here

Post by brucies here »

One thing I noticed when we were attacking down the right, be it faubert or obrien, was the reluctance to get an early cross in, they always seemed to want to push on a bit further which gave saints time to get back in place to defend. Very frustrating.

From up high in the alpari stand the saints fans did sound very vocal, we had parts of the ground sing loud at times but rarely all together. But that's just how it sounded to me.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

brucies here wrote:From up high in the alpari stand the saints fans did sound very vocal, we had parts of the ground sing loud at times but rarely all together. But that's just how it sounded to me.
I thought that too from the BMU, but I also thought our singing at times was some of the best in years, cracking atmosphere
simonirons
Has liked: 372 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by simonirons »

First game of the season for me.

A couple of weeks back someone mentioned FS being a liar for saying he rolls 4 3 3. At times last night I couldn't believe how far Vaz Te and Faubert were back down the pitch leaving Carlton up on his own. That said we were down a man & Georgie overlapped well on a few occasions.

Don't wanna drag up the hammer head thread again, but was the iron knight rising again to saints fans? Had fun and games on the A2 so missed KO

Did anyone else get the pleasure of the delightful tub sack in the que in to uptown park station. Think she was soton but, When I was walking the back of the line she was telling someone behind the barrier she was gonna f*** em up. By the time I got to the station entrance she had been nicked and was having a boo boo.
Smonnie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Smonnie »

simonirons wrote:
A couple of weeks back someone mentioned FS being a liar for saying he rolls 4 3 3. At times last night I couldn't believe how far Vaz Te and Faubert were back down the pitch leaving Carlton up on his own. That said we were down a man & Georgie overlapped well on a few occasions.
On the other hand, Faubert was like another striker (and winning EVERY header) against Millwall. Which I think shows the importance of the players' mindset as well as the manager's 'tactics'. Unless we think that Sam had two very different plans at ten men?
djclipz
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by djclipz »

neilbob

Post by neilbob »

cheers.

my opinion that Sharp is a cheating **** and a disgrace hasn't changed.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Higlights don't show the handballs!

Clearly Taylor did not run the length of the pitch as was claimed in some press reports, and clearly he was trying to prevent Sharp from having a go at Noble
neilbob

Post by neilbob »

and clearly sharp went down like he was hit by Tyson

Romford Iron

Post by Romford Iron »

hammerdivone wrote:The Hooiveld handball was shown on local TV earlier and was a clear cut handball - he actually palmed it away.
And he admitted it this morning, on Twitter :lol:

jos hooiveld @joshooiveld20

I got away with a handball that evened out the penalty later given (wasn't one). The red card was decided by the linesman. Clear view.

https://twitter.com/#!/joshooiveld20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Lets be honest...the bloke was trying to get the Taylor sent off, as were a couple of his team mates.

To act like that is a total disgrace...and no matter what their manager says, their whole persona was of a narky team who would do anything to win the game.

That comes from the top...

We played them off the park for most of the game...and even a very dodgy ref and disgusting tactics couldn't get them the 3 points.

Taylor shouldn't have got involved....but it was most definatly Sharps dive and antics that got him off.

Also must add about the pen...every Saints fan and their manager have said he didn't get touched and Noble dived.

That makes them liars aswell

Looking forward to my next trip down to the New Forest :twisted:
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

simonirons wrote:First game of the season for me.

Don't wanna drag up the hammer head thread again, but was the iron knight rising again to saints fans? Had fun and games on the A2 so missed KO

Did anyone else get the pleasure of the delightful tub sack in the que in to uptown park station. Think she was soton but, When I was walking the back of the line she was telling someone behind the barrier she was gonna **** em up. By the time I got to the station entrance she had been nicked and was having a boo boo.

The last 2 games have been very different from what has been produced over the rest of the season...I think even BFS would admit that.

Last night was the fastest off the block we have been all season...and it knocked the oppo back for the whole half.

THIS is exactly what many of us have been asking for....

Why has it taken 2/3rds of the season ??
neilbob

Post by neilbob »

In fairness there has been a lot of rot set in, and there needed a turn round in our mental toughness as well as a gradual change in playing staff. I completely understand the need to grind out results to breed confidence. I guess for me it's a matter of what comes next having done the ugly stuff...
westhamerica
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by westhamerica »

Romford wrote: Taylor shouldn't have got involved....but it was most definatly Sharps dive and antics that got him off.
The replay on WHUTV doesn't show it very clearly, but I doesn't look like he gets his hands in his face. Looks more like Taylor was trying to push him back and finally did do forcefully and Sharp's acting made it look like a left hook.

Thought penalty was a bit soft as well, and you'd have to wonder if the previous handballs were called if the match would have ever come to a head like it did with the sending off so early.

As for the handball, it's unreal that the linesman doesn't see it as he has a clear view in from the near sideline.

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Romford wrote:Taylor shouldn't have got involved....but it was most definatly Sharps dive and antics that got him off.
From the highlights, Taylor practically wrote his own name in the ref's book.

If he'd left it - and Noble's capable of handling Billy Smart himself - he handed the Saints player the chance to go into the book.

Its not just the question of where he made contact with him, its his persistence. He gifted Soton the chance to mostly play the game against 10 men.

You'd expect his experience to put a lid on his response.