West Ham Utd 1 Southampton 1 (14/02/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

TheAlmightyAmmer

Re: West Ham Utd v Southampton: match thread

Post by TheAlmightyAmmer »

Is it possible to get two yellows, one after the other? Cause that's what Sharp should of got IMO.
Iron Mark
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Iron Mark »

Hooiveld on twitter:
I got away with a handball that evened out the penalty later given (wasn't one). The red card was decided by the linesman. Clear view.
Player admits we should have had a penalty for handball.

Was his the one on the line?

In terms of the footballing debate that we have seen recently; I would prefer bad football honestly than good football with cheating. Southampton disappointed me yesterday.

And the only replay I have seen of the foul of Noble looks like there was contact.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

saint_ed wrote:Hampshire Hammer - This is a comment coming from someone who clearly doesn't like Southampton though. It's subjective not objective (just like my opinions). Yes we do dive occasionally, and we do have a go at the referee. Do we do it anymore than Brighton, Leeds, Reading, and pretty much every other club, I would disagree. Maybe last night was an extreme case as were getting outplayed. I watched your game against Brum on TV and Nolan (accompanied by several others) was pretty much standing next to the referee all game.

As I said Sharp dived. I don't condone that. But I don't think you can be overly critical when Noble has done the same, although nowhere near as extreme. Those with a real player account, please check when Saints put the highlights up. Jordan Sibley and few others on the media team seem pretty adamant that the videos they have show Noble wasn't touched.
If I have learnt to dislike Southampton it is something I've learnt in the last two seasons, TBH I'd heard stories from my kids about what went on at school etc and told them that is just kids but having spoken to a few adult fans I've realised it isn't. BUT I know it is only a few games but the amount of blatant cheating I've seen in the last couple of seasons was shocking. At St Marys I would say that Saints outplayed us for large sections of the game, and still dived.

I'll reserve judgement on the penalty until I've seen more highlights, the clip I've seen on SSN seems to show contact. It will be interesting if it shows Sharps actions before Taylor shoves him, as the ref didn't see it the FA should be able to charge Sharp if the video shows what I believe it will.
beckton

Post by beckton »

TheAlmightyAmmer wrote:Is it possible to get two yellows, one after the other? Cause that's what Sharp should of got IMO.

Yep, one for the foul and then a second for the reaction after. Graham Poll could have given him a third one for feigning an injury.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

TheAlmightyAmmer wrote:Is it possible to get two yellows, one after the other? Cause that's what Sharp should of got IMO.
When I did my refs course this was a question at one session, the answer was yes if two separate offenses as part of the same incident. One example was player cautioned for a foul, responds with abuse or pushes another player in the mellee afterwards and receives a second caution of the follow on offence. But it was also explained that in practice it is more sensible to either issue a single caution or a straight red if that was deemed suitable.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Iron Mark wrote:I would prefer bad football honestly than good football with cheating.
To be fair, Southampton have played some nice stuff this season when I've seen them. But apart from the final 20 minutes when we were justifiably tiring, we played the better football last night. With 10 men.
SoulCircus
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 87 likes

Post by SoulCircus »

To be fair from that picture it looks quite similar to the Cisse offence for QPR a couple of games back which also resulted in a red card...
saint_ed

Post by saint_ed »

Fair enough Hampshire-Hammer. Doubt I'll be able to convince you otherwise :wink: Agree with you you Tarbs and Beckton.

The post match comments were baffling from Adkins, but I think they were not made with us fans in mind. We were second best, but Adkins was probably trying to convince his players that they can compete. Last night I mentioned it, but 7 of those players were in our League 1 team, and a lot of what we did earlier in the season was confidence based. It would not be surprising if it was an attempt to build that up again.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

That picture is pretty damning.... Taylor just shouldn't have got involved end of.

Top woth game in hand and team that looks like it might just be clicking into place... Hopefully we'll have a game soon where 11 can stay on the pitch and we'll see what BFS does with his new squad.
giantsteps

Post by giantsteps »

Up the Junction wrote:Suspect they haven't published a picture of Sharp throwing a punch beforehand. And before they get too perky, remind those Saints fans that Sharp went down clutching his FACE, not his THROAT.
Yup, been giving it back to em :thup:
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

Aside from everything else, what's most annoying about the Taylor red is we finally got a chance to see a formation with him at LB and a proper attacking front 3 of Vaz Te, Cole and Faubert before his stupidity ballsed the whole thing up. Would love to have seen how a full game with that shape could have panned out. Judging by the opening quarter, pretty well I'd have thought
mjustincredible
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by mjustincredible »

Aceface wrote:Aside from everything else, what's most annoying about the Taylor red is we finally got a chance to see a formation with him at LB and a proper attacking front 3 of Vaz Te, Cole and Faubert before his stupidity ballsed the whole thing up. Would love to have seen how a full game with that shape could have panned out. Judging by the opening quarter, pretty well I'd have thought
agree. and we could of seen jack the lad in nolans position but he had to be sacrificed due to the red card. can we PLEASE not have anyone sent off in the next game so maybe we can see how the team plays for a whole game with 11 men and without nolan. is that too much to ask?
lukeWHU

Post by lukeWHU »

If you are going to raise your hands at all these days, you may as well lay the bloke out. The result is goign to be the same.
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

Thought our lot were fantastic. Well drilled and battled to the end. They all must be abolsutely knackered this morning. Captain Noble was the abolsute pick of the bunch and Faubert agin put a shift in. Credit has to go to BFS aswell for that kind of motivation and fight. We were even knocking it about nicely at times. Atmosphere was good and everyone seemed to rally behind the team. Proud of the club after last night.

Southampton on the other hand although playing some decent stuff on the deck, are the biggest bunch of utter moaning, diving, playacting and general cheating bunch of c**** I have had the misfortune to see in a while at the BG, and that includes Arsenal. Sharp's dive for a penalty in the 2nd half just summed them up. Lost absolutely any respect I may have had for them or Adkins. Disgusting from top to bottom IMO.

And Probert was utterly useless aswell. There's been plenty of poor refereeing performances in the last few seasons, but I can't name one where I've seen a Ref lose total control of a game to that extent.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

James May's match report for KUMB.com:

http://www.kumb.com/report.php?id=101183" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

Anyone notice the two most headscratching referees we've encountered this season have both been top-level PL refs?
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

about the ref again, he wanted to send off the ball boy at some point! :lol:
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Is this going to be a record season for red cards ?
We can't afford to be carrying on like this , but still a good performance with 10 men against one of our top rivals .
Blackpool won again , it could be all the relegated teams going up at this rate .

Those of you wanting to have a bet on the minute our next player gets sent off should put your house on 32 mins and it being Vas Te , what with Nolan on 8 , Taylor on 16mins and all quite spookily from Bolton Wanderers . Funny that .
Only joking .

COYI :crest:
steptoe61

Post by steptoe61 »

<post removed>
Last edited by Up the Junction on Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Avoiding swear filter.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Those of you wanting to have a bet on the minute our next player gets sent off should put your house on 32 mins and it being Vas Te , what with Nolan on 8 , Taylor on 16mins and all quite spookily from Bolton Wanderers . Funny that .
Only joking .:
Add to that JOB 64 mins at Reading... :think: