West Ham Utd 1 Southampton 1 (14/02/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Southampton: match thread

Post by Up the Junction »

Aceface wrote:Sweet, I thought I was the only one who was feeling an irrational distaste for Sharp and Saints this morning.
Better not read this, then Ace... Nigel Adkins' post-match press conference, in full, exclusively on KUMB:

http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=126017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fair play to Andy Dillon of the Sun who was responsible for the 'Paxman-esque' series of questions.
FrankieMacsPerm
Has liked: 44 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by FrankieMacsPerm »

Just read the Adkins press conference, seems a bit of a bell end if i'm honest!

Taylor pushed Sharpe in the chest and yes he is asking for trouble doing that, but their is no excuse for feigning a facial injury. If it had been a foreigner plenty of people would be slagging him, no doubt including tough northerner Billy. He's a Sheff Utd fan as well!! Grrrrrrrr!
Hammer Laffers
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Hammer Laffers »

If Adkins seriously thinks that Probert is one of our 'elite' premier league refs, then I'm giving up with football.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

saint_ed wrote:I'm not condoning Sharp's terrible play acting or Lallana's dive. They deserve a lot of the criticism on here.
All I'll say is that in the two saints games I saw against Bournemouth last season and the game against us at St Marys saints players were diving all over the place; so Lallana's dive, though an extreme example, does seem to fit in with your general behaviour.
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

Sharp should be banned for 10 games and Southampton have 3 points deducted.
That would ensure such cheating didn't happen again.

And the ref should be suspended at least until he accepts he was wrong to give the red card without talking to the linesman.
Wrong decisions like missed penalties I accept will happen, but to send someone off without consulting the linesman who was next to the incident and when you can't have seen what happened is unacceptable.
giantsteps

Post by giantsteps »

Just seen the pic in The Times. You can see a hand round Sharp's throat

Saints fans have suddenly perked up about the incident now
giantsteps

Post by giantsteps »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

giantsteps wrote:Just seen the pic in The Times. You can see a hand round Sharp's throat
Suspect they haven't published a picture of Sharp throwing a punch beforehand. And before they get too perky, remind those Saints fans that Sharp went down clutching his FACE, not his THROAT.
FrankieMacsPerm wrote:Just read the Adkins press conference, seems a bit of a bell end if i'm honest!
Suffice to say I thought Steve Cotterill was in a league of his own until I sat through Adkins' presser last night.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Up the Junction wrote: Better not read this, then Ace... Nigel Adkins' post-match press conference, in full
He clearly thinks the sending off was a bit tinpot as well. And I don't know which game he was watching, but these quotes are grounds for committal
To dominate the game as much as we did do - because we did have an extra man, we changed the shape round to dominate the football - and the chances that we did have - Billy Sharp had a great one, didn't he?
We've played the last four league games and looked very good and very dominant in all of the games.
At halftime, all you could hear was everyone wondering aloud how Saints were second in the league. I've heard many halftime mumblings this season about how we ARE being dominated, so it's certainly not down to C&B bias
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

giantsteps wrote:Just seen the pic in The Times. You can see a hand round Sharp's throat

Saints fans have suddenly perked up about the incident now
I'm going to have to reserve judgement until I finally see a replay, but I find it hard to defend Taylor - he put himself in that position, end of. Cisse got the same last weekend for a hand on the throat so why take the risk. That said, seeing Sharp's behaviour on the night, and never having seen Taylor react like that before, I'd bet the house there were some extenuating circumstances leading up to it that I'm not party to
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

giantsteps wrote:" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ummmm?

:lol:
saint_ed

Post by saint_ed »

Hampshire Hammer - This is a comment coming from someone who clearly doesn't like Southampton though. It's subjective not objective (just like my opinions). Yes we do dive occasionally, and we do have a go at the referee. Do we do it anymore than Brighton, Leeds, Reading, and pretty much every other club, I would disagree. Maybe last night was an extreme case as were getting outplayed. I watched your game against Brum on TV and Nolan (accompanied by several others) was pretty much standing next to the referee all game.

As I said Sharp dived. I don't condone that. But I don't think you can be overly critical when Noble has done the same, although nowhere near as extreme. Those with a real player account, please check when Saints put the highlights up. Jordan Sibley and few others on the media team seem pretty adamant that the videos they have show Noble wasn't touched.
Tarbs
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Tarbs »

I don't mind Nigel Adkins. Done very well with Southampton, this year and last. Last night was an important game for both sides and he is right to stick up for his side and condem the cheating. Talks honestly and a lot of sense in interviews I have seen him. I don't think he would have been impressed thought with his team last night, pleased with the point, but not with how they played the game.

We put them off their game and Sam needs to be given creadit for doing so, that was how we were going to get points of this game. They probably had less possession than Millwall.
TheAlmightyAmmer

Post by TheAlmightyAmmer »

That looks like something that would make him fall over and clutch his face
Soton_Hammer

Post by Soton_Hammer »

Still annoyed about the game. chucked away 2 points in the final minutes again!

But yet big sam and the players seem happy? were wont get promoted if we cant see out games! :?
west ham15
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

giantsteps

Post by giantsteps »

TheAlmightyAmmer wrote:That looks like something that would make him fall over and clutch his face
Exactly

Why would you go down clutching your face if you've been grappled round the neck?

Sharp still milked it, but Taylor was wrong to react/get involved in the first place
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

All that picture confirms is that the fat northerner blatantly feigned injury by clutching his face.

You need to see video (ie moving) footage to pinpoint where contact occurred. Taylor's hardly taking Sharp by the scruff of the neck in it.
beckton

Post by beckton »

I think Adkins is talking to his own players when he goes on about dominating the game. In the last couple of months the wheels have come off a bit for them and maybe he's trying to build their confidence up. Not a mention of this so called dominance being against 10 men for most of the match though and in reality he must be gutted not to have taken all 3 points under those circumstances.
old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by old fart »

grabbing someone warmly by the throat definitely not a sending off offence then?
Last edited by old fart on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.