West Ham Utd 0 Crystal Palace 0 (25/02/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Crystal Palace: match thread

Post by ageing hammer »

steviechaz wrote:Started attending regularly in season 76/77 and perhaps missed on average 1 home a season since then, season ticket holder since 1980.
Up the Junction wrote: You poor bugger...

Nice to have to you on board Stevie but it begs the question - where've you been for the last 15 years?

Probably took him that long to be able to learn how to bring up Google on the PC just like me ( another old fart )

Welcome aboard the good ship Kumb Stevie, they will be gentle with your first post but beware the difficult second one. :lol:
Coker

Post by Coker »

why was there no atmosphere yesterday? at times was near silence

3000 palace were louder than 32000 hammers

i know we were poor first half but seemed very strange
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Coker wrote:why was there no atmosphere yesterday? at times was near silence

It was just a bit of a strange game mate, hope Watford will be a bit better although I can't see it as they will bring about 50 supporters probably.
Coker

Post by Coker »

maybe the last game against the saints we knew we had to try and pick the team up from being down to 10 the one before against millwall, we that dont need hyping , yesterday just seemed flat maybe coz everyone thought it would be 3 or 4 nil
ForeverWestHam

Post by ForeverWestHam »

Palace fans were strong and consistent, wish we were like that sometimes. :(
dapablo
Sourpuss, grumpy face

Post by dapablo »

Coker wrote:why was there no atmosphere yesterday? at times was near silence

12:45 kick off mate, most people were still in their beds.
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

I think that the fat one had a difficult choice yesterday, and he got the choice wrong.

He's had a (relativley) settled side that has performed heroics away midweek, and has played three games now with ten men.

He had the option of swapping a few out to bring in fresh faces (some on here would have sworn heresy and disloyalty), or sticking with those who had done so much for the cause in the face of adversity.

He let (I think) his heart rule his head. I hope he wont do it again.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Chuck D wrote:I think that the fat one had a difficult choice yesterday, and he got the choice wrong.

He had the option of swapping a few out to bring in fresh faces
Did he ?

I wanted to see Ravel yesterday - Sam clearly thinks he isn't ready yet .

How many real options did Sam have ?
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

I wanted to see Ravel yesterday - Sam clearly thinks he isn't ready yet .
Good shout Pinky, want to see him hopefully against Watford/Doncaster.
Hammer83
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Hammer83 »

TPP

Cole should have started that game he was rested midweek so he would have been fine.Palace were all over us first half because Maynard and others could not hold onto the ball and they kept breaking on us.
m-h

Post by m-h »

the pink palermo wrote:
How many real options did Sam have ?
Can't really fault SA for starting the same eleven, but Cole starting in place of Maynard inorder to work and wear down there two CB's might have been an idea. But i know he was being rested for his potential England call up, but he turned it down to go to Dubai whth the rest of the lads. :)
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Hammer83 wrote: Cole should have started that game he was rested midweek so he would have been fine.Palace were all over us first half because Maynard and others could not hold onto the ball and they kept breaking on us.
The same Cole that reguarly gets called out on here for not holding the ball up ? I agree he made a huge difference when he came on .

For my money the issue yesterday in the first half was not a question of fatigue - it was the fact Palace gave no room to Vaz Te and Faubert , denying Noble the opportunity to hit them with an early pass - hence why some posters are saying Noble slowed it down yesterday .

It wasn't Noble slowing it down , it was the Palace fullbacks .

Far easier for the Manager to blame fatigue rather than his tactics yesterday - especially if he wants to lay the groundwork for a change in personnel next week .

Miami - See Bent is out - I tell thee if Carlton didn't fancy Dubai's golf courses he would have got the call :wink:

Shrewd move by Sam to get the lads on an early flight to avoid the call up's to cover the drop outs mind .
beckton

Post by beckton »

the pink palermo wrote: For my money the issue yesterday in the first half was not a question of fatigue - it was the fact Palace gave no room to Vaz Te and Faubert , denying Noble the opportunity to hit them with an early pass - hence why some posters are saying Noble slowed it down yesterday .

:thup:

Noble was trying to keep possession, what's the point of playing aimless balls if the pass isn't on.

The only thing that frustrated me yesterday with Noble's play was that he didn't have a dig with his left foot on the edge of the area. He had a couple of opportunities first half but tried to get into onto his right and the chance had gone.

Then in the second half he played in a great cross with his left foot, which is a harder skill than putting your laces through it.
m-h

Post by m-h »

beckton wrote:
Noble wasn't slowing it down but just not giving up possession cheaply by playing aimless balls.

The only thing that frustrated me yesterday with Noble play was that he didn't have a dig with his left foot on the edge of the area. He had a couple of opportunities first half but tried to get into onto his right and the chance had gone.

Then in the second half he played in a great cross with his left foot, which is a harder skill than put your laces through it.
Yep, well spotted. Said the same thing yesterday, he created an opening for himself a couple of times in the second half, just outside the area but rather than take a shot decided to try and dink in a cross. Its something we don't do too much of, having a shot from outside the area. Also from the eleven corners we had, nobody was pulling off the back post to collect a loose ball and we had nobody at the top of the D doing the same either.
Mr P
Location: On the outside of a rather cheeky bottle of Viognier...

Post by Mr P »

beckton wrote:The only thing that frustrated me yesterday with Noble's play was that he didn't have a dig with his left foot on the edge of the area
Surely you've noticed that Noble's left foot is for standing on!? I'll grant you he did put in a cross with his left yesterday but that's the first time I've ever seen him use it.
Hammer83
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Hammer83 »

Hammer83 wrote: Cole should have started that game he was rested midweek so he would have been fine.Palace were all over us first half because Maynard and others could not hold onto the ball and they kept breaking on us.
the pink palermo wrote:The same Cole that reguarly gets called out on here for not holding the ball up ? I agree he made a huge difference when he came on .

For my money the issue yesterday in the first half was not a question of fatigue - it was the fact Palace gave no room to Vaz Te and Faubert , denying Noble the opportunity to hit them with an early pass - hence why some posters are saying Noble slowed it down yesterday .

Far easier for the Manager to blame fatigue rather than his tactics yesterday - especially if he wants to lay the groundwork for a change in personnel next week .

Cole don't get called out by me,you will see on the keep or sell Cole thread I have stated all along keep him as he is our best striker.

I agree with you about the fullbacks,I even said in the jan window thread I would like us to sign Parr he is far better than GMc.We should give credit to Palace for the way they defended and it's not hard to see why they have the most clean sheets in the division.
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

Hard to break down a team with 6 at the back who were happy to get a point. We looked more likely to do so second half going two up front but were unlucky so lets just put it down to a bad day .Noble seemed quiet yesterday.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

There was only one West Ham player that stood out for me yesterday, and that was Jack Collison for appearing to be monumentally gash.

Apart from that, a game that will not linger in the memory for too long.
maltab

Post by maltab »

Dyer's Leg wrote:There was only one West Ham player that stood out for me yesterday, and that was Jack Collison for appearing to be monumentally gash.

Apart from that, a game that will not linger in the memory for too long.

Have to agree DL.Nolan back next week me thinks.Jack on the bench.
Did anyone else hear that announcer going on at Upton Park tube station,after the game.Keep moving down de platform.Move right down de platform,You will not get on this train unless you move down de platform.
My god,continuously for about 20 mins.Was ringing in my ears all the way home back to Gloucestershire. :lol:
richiepap

Post by richiepap »

taffhammer wrote:.Noble seemed quiet yesterday.
Strange how people see different things because I thought Noble was involved more than anyone else, either putting a foot in or trying to create something. I think if he had people alongside him that wanted to be involved as much as he did it wouldn't have been such a struggle because quite often we needed Noble to be where Noble should be when Noble wasn't off doing something someone else could be doing instead of Noble.

Collison was disappointing :lol: