West Ham Utd 0 Crystal Palace 0 (25/02/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

swash
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Crystal Palace: match thread

Post by swash »

Biggest disappointment for me was that we didn't find out what Maynard could do, as the rest of the team appeared to think that Carlton was still up top and gave him nothing to feed off at all.

Also a shame that Collison didn't seize his chance and the return of Nolan is now a no brainer
osborner69

Post by osborner69 »

Prior to the game, I would of started the game with Baldock, Cole & Lansbury to freshen up the team from Blackpool - to keep the same team after the draining game on Tuesday was a mistake in my opinion. Although I can see the value in not changing a winning team, you have to take in other factors such as fatigue etc.

I think Dougie Freedman has had our number this season and we could of easily lost both games, home and away. Disappointed with the draw, but overall its a point more than we could of had.
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

The football from West Ham has been good since Ipswich and i think it'll continue.
Agree with that, we have been playing some good football recently, hope it continues, all we need is that final killer pass and perhaps a bit more movement and the goals will keep coming I'm sure. :thup:
Bishops Finger

Post by Bishops Finger »

This MOTM stuff is nonsense - Noble was ok but seemed to slow the play down all the time, he's replaced Scott Parker as the player the MOTM goes to if no-ones been particularly outstanding.

Personally, I would have given it to Green or Faye who who both had good games.

Maynard had no service but was lively, Baldock was really lively but no-one seems to look for his runs.

Vaz Te was disappointing, he was weak in the tackle and seemed to 'bottle' it a couple of times - maybe not properly fit!
CazzaVR
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by CazzaVR »

Went yesterday for the first time in a while... what a disappointing game! There was quite a strange atmosphere- felt like a friendly at times as there seemed to be such a lack of urgency and passion. Don't think I've ever been to such a quiet game either- completely outsung for most of the match by the Palace lot.

Felt sorry for Maynard- was given NOTHING.
Collison was SHOCKING! Didn't commit to tackles, nervous on the ball. Him and Noble got the ball in good positions, where a quick pass could've made all the difference and what did they do? Stopped and did a Parker pirrouette (sp?), and inevitably passed sideways or backwards. So frustrating- happened so many times.
Faubert had an interesting game- looked so out of sorts it was untrue. Pub standard at best. Shame cos he's had a decent season. Faye's distribution was apalling and Vaz just kept falling over! Headbanger

Cole and then Baldock looked lively, and Tompka won everything in the air. Green again was outstanding.

I agree to a certain extent with Sam's comment that it was a bit of a hangover after playing so well in the last 3 with 10 men.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

swash wrote:Biggest disappointment for me was that we didn't find out what Maynard could do, as the rest of the team appeared to think that Carlton was still up top and gave him nothing to feed off at all.
Yes, I thought this, but read elsewhere in this thread that at Bristol City he was used to playing alone up top. Didn't look that way to me - quite a few balls up to him that he'd only have a chance of winning if a defender slipped. Result = impossible to judge him really.

He, like Baldock, who needed to come on before we had a shot on target, will work better, in my untrained opinion, in a more obvious 4-4-2, or at least a system sufficiently flexible for us to feed the shorter/faster forward off Cole's knock down's.

Vaz Te seems more of a conventional wide player to me. Didn't have a great game yesterday, but Palace have a well-drilled defence.

More generally, fatigue seemed to have set in. Faubert was clumsy at best and JC not very effective.

Palace won it on points, but we emerged with a fair point overall.

Our away form will raise us for Cardiff. Well looking forward to that.
ragnarok

Post by ragnarok »

I only saw a bit of the match (feed went down) but my overall impression confirms Sam's comments that they were suffering a bit of a hangover from the previous 3 outstanding efforts in difficult circumstances. I was appalled to hear that some fans were booing. After the previous games, a bit of a trip-up was almost inevitable and the team did not lose though we can thank whoever that Green's red card got rescinded! I wonder if those who were booing could stand such a close examination of their own performances. Get behind the lads and stay there, I say, compared to last season's fiasco, this lot are brilliant.
mattyD
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Post by mattyD »

To be honest i thought the team played well second half, and even in the first there was a willingness to pass and be patient with possession, Green rolling the ball out even, so the intention was to play. Palace were up for it and defended well and we looked a bit leggy. We could have won it in the end, but generally I thought the way they were trying to play was very good, just not our day. I'm more encouraged by that than some other games we've ended up winning.
Mad Professor
Has liked: 272 likes

Post by Mad Professor »

mattyD wrote:To be honest i thought the team played well second half, and even in the first there was a willingness to pass and be patient with possession, Green rolling the ball out even, so the intention was to play. Palace were up for it and defended well and we looked a bit leggy. We could have won it in the end, but generally I thought the way they were trying to play was very good, just not our day. I'm more encouraged by that than some other games we've ended up winning.
This is my view. I think that Palace defended really well and insufficient credit has been given for this. Blackpool on the other hand simply cannot defend.
dapablo
Sourpuss, grumpy face

Post by dapablo »

Stuck between a two stools, if asked and in private I reckon he would concede now that a change of personel and probably shape would of been the correct choice to make, though I fully understand the choice to keep a winning positive team together. How well you play depands quite often on the perceived abilities of the opponent, ratioanly they would of been u for the fight but I don't believe emoitonaly they could of been.

Palace looked a well organised and I come away grateful for the point.
steviechaz

Post by steviechaz »

First post so be gentle!

Been supporting the club for almost 50 years, first match sometime in the mid 60s as a 7/8 year old. Started attending regularly in season 76/77 and perhaps missed on average 1 home a season since then, season ticket holder since 1980.

Whilst disappointing not to win yesterday ( I am always disappointed when we don't win, would have thought I'd have got over it by now!) I feel we should not overlook:

1. Palace have the joint 3rd best goals conceded in the division.
2. They set up with two defensive midfield players which effectively meant 6 defenders
3. They were happy to sit back and rely on pace to counter-attack.
4. A lot of our players had played 3 matches with 10 men which was bound to catch up on them at some stage.
5. Whilst we were indebted to Green for 3/4 decent 1st half saves, the change of formation/introduction of fresh legs in the 2nd half changed the flow of the game with Palace looking less effective and with a bit of luck we might have stolen a 1-0 win.

Yes the football wasn't great ( we should be used to that over the past few seasons) but this was a game we certainly would have lost in the past.
Hammer Matty
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by Hammer Matty »

Welcome steviechaz, good first post :thup:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2938 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

steviechaz wrote: First post so be gentle!
That depends entirely upon your credentials......
steviechaz wrote: Been supporting the club for almost 50 years, first match sometime in the mid 60s as a 7/8 year old. Started attending regularly in season 76/77 and perhaps missed on average 1 home a season since then, season ticket holder since 1980.
It would appear you have suffered enough, so I'm sure people will be gentle.....

WelKUMB :thup:

Good post btw .
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Bishops Finger wrote:This MOTM stuff is nonsense - Noble was ok but seemed to slow the play down all the time, he's replaced Scott Parker as the player the MOTM goes to if no-ones been particularly outstanding.
It was massively noticeable yesterday and again, for me, he played the wrong ball a lot of the time too.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

steviechaz wrote:Started attending regularly in season 76/77 and perhaps missed on average 1 home a season since then, season ticket holder since 1980.
You poor bugger...

Nice to have to you on board Stevie but it begs the question - where've you been for the last 15 years? :lol:
steptoe61

Post by steptoe61 »

sammer wrote:There's always an excuse for Cole isn't there.
Layed off a great ball for Baldock, ****ed up a really good chance,first touch awful, keeps getting pulled for silly fouls
but does really funny tweets by all account.
Medoc
Location: On the phone trying to get a ticket (can't afford a season ticket).
Has liked: 4 likes

Post by Medoc »

Fans that booed yesterday - disgraceful.

This team that have played their hearts out over the last three games, didn't win yesterday. That doesn't make them any less good, passionate or anything else than a week ago. We are well on course for automatic promotion, the season so far has been the most positive for probably six years (since our FA cup loss); they do not deserve to be booed.

What purpose do you think booing serves - I always thought that supporters were supposed to 'support' their team; whatever happened to the fans being the twelfth man?

Fans that booed yesterday - empty headed, stupid, excuses for supporters.

:crest:
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Difficult game yesterday on the back of lot of games (with 10 men).

Collison seemed to have the energy but frustratingly wasteful with many balls 2nd half, Noble, not a great game but still head n shoulders above the rest. Also thought, 2nd half, JOB and McCartney had good games, JOB in particular put in a good shift.

Baldock looked sharp (but should've scored). I wonder if Allardyce will contemplate switching to a 4-4-2, Baldock/Nolan with Cole/Maynard would be worth a look. But even with that shape you wonder how Collison would fit in as Noble needs some defensive cover.
w6hammer
Has liked: 86 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by w6hammer »

Firstly we deserved no more than a draw and could have quite easily lost this game.We were lucky to go in at half time level.

I personally thought it was a mistake not starting with Cole.We all know palace have 2 big centre backs and with maynard up front on his own was going to make it very hard for him and give us a much lesser chance of making the ball stick when it was played up to him and giving us a platform to build up play.The half time substitution with Cole coming on addressed this problem and hence a better 2nd half showing.

We started the game sloppy,poor passing and movement and seemed slow out the blocks.Palace on the other hand were sharper to the ball more energetic and more accurate with their passing.They certainly had the better of the 1st half and should have led at half time,2nd half we showed more attacking intent and determination and created a couple of decent chances which Baldock was unfortunate with.Poor performances from Faubert,Vaz Te & Collison in particular.O`Niell offered us very little when he came on.In the end though dissapointed we never won i was also relieved we never lost.We missed Taylor for the natural width/crossing ability/set piece delivery he gives us,we have not got another player at the club who is comfortable in that wide left midfield position.I also think we missed Nolan as well yesterday,especially his leadership qualities in such a tight game.To be fair i do also feel us playing midweek with 10 men and Palace not playing did give them a more fresher appearance.

Now looking to the future games,we have a top keeper,very decent defence and now(despite yesterday) goalpower with good options up front.IMO its the midfield that is our problem area.we need to get our best midfield on the pitch and producing good performances on a regular basis till the end of the season.With Nolan now available and Taylor after cardiff we will have much better options.Taylor,Noble,Nolan def starters if fit for me.I still cant understand why Morrison is not getting on the bench.He would give us a bit of flair and maybe able to change a game for us.I would have thought that was the reason we bought him to the club this season.
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

steviechaz wrote:Started attending regularly in season 76/77 and perhaps missed on average 1 home a season since then, season ticket holder since 1980.
Up the Junction wrote: You poor bugger...

Nice to have to you on board Stevie but it begs the question - where've you been for the last 15 years? :lol:
Funny enough, I started going the exact same season and only joined Kumb fairly recently. My theory is that as you get older, all the blokes that you use to discuss football with are dying off, going senile or finding other ways to spend the twighlight years lol. So you have to find new people to bore with your musings on the Irons.

As for yesterday. Of course I am dissapointed with the result, and in many ways the performance. But Palace were very well organised, and we do struggle against teams that hassle us in midfield. To be honest, I am now expecting the odd games like this. We are not going to steam roller every team till the end of the season.

I could be charitable and say that Collinson was tired, but he just looks too lightweight in our midfield. However, sadly our midfield looked short on ideas, and a little lazy with their play.