West Ham Utd 0 Crystal Palace 0 (25/02/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

SiO
Has liked: 538 likes
Total likes: 293 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Crystal Palace: match thread

Post by SiO »

Up the Junction wrote:I'll give you Zola and even Roeder to a point, but Grant is stretching it just a little too far!
Not what the masseuse (sic) said.... I have seen from Sam's interviews relating to Sir Alex (who Sam cannot help but cosy up to), that he takes his lead from Fergie so I wouldn't be surprised.... Maybe just further evidence that he 'bristles' (trade mark - tabloids) on suggestion that he plays a certain way/style... I'd love the buzz of Swindon's 606 caller tonight taking about Di Canio's regime - but for now will enjoy Sam talking us back up

On another note, did you hear Bournmouth's co-chairman on 606 today?! Drunk, possibly. Ill-advisedd? Definitely
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

hammer1975 wrote:Bob
as you may or may not have noticed from my posts we have different views of collison - i do rate him and think he can deliver on the promise that he showed before his injury (and afterwards albeit in briefer spells this season)...
I felt Jack was a bit of a passenger today, and part of that may quite reaonably be that he - and the others who played 90 minutes on Tuesday against an extra man - were drained by it. But I do think there is a more general problem that needs adressing in his game. He reminds me a lot of Carrick when he played for us (without the passing range - that is more Noble's game) in that for a big powerful guy he lacks aggression and self belief. I do wonder if it perhaps stems from the injury and a feeling that he shouldnt push himself or he risks another long lay off. But he'll go past someone have the opportunity to take the ball on, and stop and look for a pass...or make a challenge but only go in 50%. I could see that turning Sam right off him, but so far he seems to be giving him lots of opportunity. I am hoping that a motivator like Sam will be able to turn the doubts around. We could really use an alternative to Nolan in advanced m/f.
Last edited by Up the Junction on Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote edited.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

RyanWHUFC wrote:Another thing of note was at times we played some Ok football today, which makes it even more annoying.

Hoofball?
People are tearing the arse out of this 'hoof ball' thing now. :thup:

Apart from Green's clearances we didn't hit more than four or five passes over 40 yards and three of those were attempted through balls by Noble. I know because I was counting.

If anything we weren't direct enough today.....
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

SiO wrote:On another note, did you hear Bournmouth's co-chairman on 606 today?! Drunk, possibly. Ill-advisedd? Definitely
I didn't... any links?

Back to Allardyce and the booing malarky, perhaps he could learn something from his (younger) opposite number; this was his reaction to a question on the 'booing':
Dougie Freedman wrote:Did they boo them off at full time? At half time I heard a few boos... Fans pay good money these days and they're entitled to boo. I booed my little boy at a rugby match the other day because he was rubbish, you know? [laughs]

I think fans, they're entitled to that. Modern day fans - especially at West Ham - expect to be winning maybe at half time. At full time I wasn't aware of that. But credit to West Ham; they didn't have a great day today but they still got a point and they probably could have won it. I think that's what will make them champions.
From a very impressive post-match presser, which you may now read in full here:

http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=126045" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

Think Tomkins is our best centre half and should be playing there.
webby the iron
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by webby the iron »

Freedman comes across very well imo.
whitechapel hammer

Post by whitechapel hammer »

Think you have to give Palace a bit of credit today. I thought they defended really well and were a difficult unit to break down. They've now kept 13 clean sheets this season which is pretty impressive.

We looked a bit tired today, a bit laboured with the passing until the second half when we picked up a bit.

There may even have been a bit of over-confidence there as well given our recent performances with 10 men, perhaps the lads felt that with 11 we would win fairly comfortably.

I've never seen the value in booing, can;t see that it helps at all really and booing today was totally ridiculous given the efforts of the players over the last few games particularly. The lads get 7 points from 3 games with 10 men and then come back to Upton park and get booed off. That's not going to make them put in the extra 5% next time is it?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2941 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Not at our best today .A few players were below par, and other posters have already named them so there is no point repeating them .
On a positive note , I felt Faye was good again at the back, and Green, but for patting away a couple of long range efforts, may as well as have had a day off .

8 points from 12 though, which is decent enough in the round .

As for the booing -there was some at half time which I thought was harsh on a side that had been magnificent at Blackpool , but I didn't hear any at the final whistle .

Credit the Palace Manager that had the nous to push his fullbacks up on Faubert and Vaz Te , denying us time, space, and an outlet for Noble .

A poor match, but in fairness we have had 3 decent ones on the spin .
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

RyanWHUFC wrote:Another thing of note was at times we played some Ok football today, which makes it even more annoying.

Hoofball?
I thought we tried to play decent flowing football today but the final passes just never came off. Certainly wasn't a hoofball performance, infact i haven't seen a proper hoofballing performance in a while. There were a few moves today which, had they ended in a goal, would have been very silky.

One thing that did make me laugh was the Palace fans and the continuing ignorance from opposing fans towards our style of play. OK, sometimes we play direct in order to get results but it's getting a bit over the top. At one point today, Faye cleared the ball into an area for Vaz Te to chase, que 'HOOF' from the Palace fans. They were desperate to get that one out and wanted to carry it on but we never heard it again. The football from West Ham has been good since Ipswich and i think it'll continue.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

the pink palermo wrote: 8 points from 12 though, which is decent enough in the round .
Got to win one of the trips to Cardiff or Leeds now though IMO.....

Reading coming on strong, nice set of fixtures for them leading up to us on 31 March.....
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Up the Junction wrote:Nearly forgot: Sam Allardyce's post-match presser, in full:

http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=126044" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'd forgotten how bloody good these post match interviews were. I really missed them when we were banned from reporting them.

Thank the trans-poser for us guv. They go unrewarded to be honest. People forget to say thanks it must be a bit of a mare typing those up. Not exactly just a line or two....

:thup:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:Thank the trans-poser for us guv.
You just did. You're welcome :wink:
Muddy
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Muddy »

Awful game, i was well disapointed that only a bit of the BML sang" Bobby Moore's claret and blue army". I sang for a minute before everyone else around me went quiet. Wasn't this game kids for a quid? Probably explains it, and what's this Watford £20 quid a ticket? I paid £32 for mine in band 4 a week or two back, absolute piss take.
Soton_Hammer

Post by Soton_Hammer »

dissapointing result. Need more points on board, if we want to win this league.
Last edited by Soton_Hammer on Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Muddy
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Muddy »

I think Baldock was much more lively than Maynard. Needs to be stared more. I like Baldock, good little player. I would like to see what a Baldock - Maynard partnership (with good service) would be like.
Stumpy

Post by Stumpy »

how the can you slate baldock why would you even want to do that,when did faye switch off i saw him make nothing but proper tackles today,and you want to have a dig a maynard that was his 2nd start,sign A PROVEN CENTRE MIDFIELDER in jan have you heard of MARK NOBLE,sotton hammer you are a wind up and i have bitten well done ireally hope u are a wind up otherwise we might as well give up.
Last edited by bristolhammerfc on Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Persistent bad language
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

Soton_Hammer wrote:Terrible result. Standard really.

Baldock- Really dont rate him, missed glourious chances throughout, Goodness knows how he plays above Carew and Piq
Faye- Strong but switches off too often, very frustrating
Maynard- I know its early but he needs to impress more.

Wish we had bought a proven centre mid in january.
:lol: This guy

Sad thing is he's actually serious about these comments.

Terrible result? TERRIBLE? really?

FML

Baldock made space and had 2 good chances but they were near side to the keeper.
Faye made some fantastic stretching tackles to deny them numerous times.
Maynard isn't used to the ball being pumped up to him like they were at times.
Dan1326
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by Dan1326 »

:lol: The keeper stood tall for both chances it wasn't as if they were a 1 on 1 with time to pick your spot
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

Thought Faubert and Collison had good games today :|
beckton

Post by beckton »

Muddy wrote: and what's this Watford £20 quid a ticket? I paid £32 for mine in band 4 a week or two back, absolute piss take.

Contact the ticket office and see if you can get a refund. People have in the past.