West Ham Utd 0 Crystal Palace 0 (25/02/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

djclipz
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Crystal Palace: match thread

Post by djclipz »

Hockley Hammer wrote:A disappointing performance, but give some credit to Palace, who played exceptionally well in the first half.

At least we got better in the second half and could have sneaked it.
very true. For the first half most of the players had lost the ability to control the ball within a yard of them self, and reid was asleep for the first 10 mins which could of cost us. Bit too much route one overall, which looked too easy to defend, never going to work with maynard down the middle... But fair play to palace they dealt with it well. We did try some nice passing, but it was badly let down in the final 1/3. Once cole and baldock were on, definitely a lot better. That second chance for baldock really should have found the back of the net though, he'll be kicking himself for that.

Not a great performance, but glad we got at least a point, so we didnt completely f*** it up. Puts a bit more pressure on sunday now, we need those points back from the beginning of the season

Zaha looked good, lively player.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Zaha..well shepherded by our defence,overall.

Both defences on top I guess..Don't know about tiredness, seem to be a lot of people putting that label to a disappointing performance.

I couldnt put my finger on what was going on....concluded it was lack of pace to get behind their rearguard. Maynard got no service on the ground first half, Noble's radar being a bit off made a difference.

Can't look further than seeing the need for a quick player wide..is Vaz Te that player? If not we are going to find it hard playing teams the second time,with them realising they can push up without fear of the quick counter.
kthammer

Post by kthammer »

irving boleyn wrote:Zaha..well shepherded by our defence,overall.

Both defences on top I guess..Don't know about tiredness, seem to be a lot of people putting that label to a disappointing performance.

I couldnt put my finger on what was going on....concluded it was lack of pace to get behind their rearguard. Maynard got no service on the ground first half, Noble's radar being a bit off made a difference.

Can't look further than seeing the need for a quick player wide..is Vaz Te that player? If not we are going to find it hard playing teams the second time,with them realising they can push up without fear of the quick counter.
It was odd tactically. In the first half we played with two wide men who did get the ball but did nothing with it. Cole would have been better as the sole central striker in that situation as he can at least hold the ball up. We were hitting it too long (and too high) to Maynard with no-one coming to him for lay-offs anyway.

In the second half we went with two up front - with Maynard in the Nolan role and it worked a treat, although the service did not get any better. Perhaps with Vaz Te and Taylor playing well we'd destroy teams but we just haven't seen that all season. (I have given up on Julien - fantastic effort and stamina but when he plays as a winger he can't cross and when he plays as the striker he can't shoot).
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

beckton wrote:The only thing that frustrated me yesterday with Noble play was that he didn't have a dig with his left foot on the edge of the area. He had a couple of opportunities first half but tried to get into onto his right and the chance had gone.

Then in the second half he played in a great cross with his left foot, which is a harder skill than put your laces through it.
miami-hammer wrote:Yep, well spotted. Said the same thing yesterday, he created an opening for himself a couple of times in the second half, just outside the area but rather than take a shot decided to try and dink in a cross. Its something we don't do too much of, having a shot from outside the area.
Noble especially epitomises that. Not putting his laces through it.
I'm not having a dig at Noble, he's a player I really like, but he always places it. Be it a free kick, corner, penalty, or opportunity on the edge of the box he will never put his laces fully through it.
On the one hand I do admire his desire to be accurate at all times, but on the other hand it can be frustrating to watch when the ball is crying out to be wellied
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Stepney wrote: Why? Because he licked our arse?

I wonder if you would have the same opinion of him if he said we were lucky to get a point and we weren't gona win the league?!
No...because I thought he gave a pretty fair and decent account of the game, made some good points and comes across as a pretty fair bloke...unlike as UTJ said, certain other visiting managers this year like Adkins and Cotterill who just bigged themselves up.

Got a problem with that?
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

the pink palermo wrote: Ah yes, your love in with the Spurs player they picked up from the Blunts .Yes, I seem to recall saying I doubted his defensive abilities on his England debut .I had my views confirmed yesterday .
No, we were talking a specifically about Kyle Walker against Sweden, not yesterday against Arsenal so nothing was confirmed yesterday as yesterday was a different day entirely.

What you did previously was try use an instance in a game to point out how right you thought you were and blame him for a specific incident which wasn't actually his fault in the slightest and when i pointed out to you that you were wrong, you didn't even ackowlegde it, thats what you actually did, or didn't, as the case may be.

But i used to do things like that where T*ttingham players are concerned so i completely understand where you're coming from, difference being when i used to do it i was 16 .
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2941 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Bob

What I said about Walker against Sweden was he may look ok going forward but I had doubts about his defensive abilities, and that the Euros would be a stiffer test .

I know the modern trend is to have fullbacks as a main attacking threat - which is fine as long as they can defend which to me will always be their primary role .I've believed that from when I was 16 .

Both Walker and Johnson , IMO, struggle with the defensive part of their job .
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

smuts wrote: No...because I thought he gave a pretty fair and decent account of the game, made some good points and comes across as a pretty fair bloke...unlike as UTJ said, certain other visiting managers this year like Adkins and Cotterill who just bigged themselves up.

Got a problem with that?
No, I don't have a problem with that.

I just think its hilarious how some people's opinions are formed.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

the pink palermo wrote:Bob

What I said about Walker against Sweden was he may look ok going forward but I had doubts about his defensive abilities, and that the Euros would be a stiffer test .
No pinky, what you actually said was " Last night, Sweden had a glorious opportunity to equalise in the last minute , with Walker nowhere in sight - i mean he was 15 yards away from where he should have been - at a criticial time of the game .This lack of experience will haunt England next summer "

To which i proved to you that you were completely wrong, which like i said, you failed to acknowledge.

Completely your perogative of course, it takes all sorts to make a world..

My reply below .

===

I strongly, strongly suggest you watch the Highlights Mr Pinks & that moment specifically..

He got sucked inside, yes he did but he got sucked inside because he had to go there.

I was actually gonna say in a previous Post that i hope you weren't referring to that moment as if you watch it below, you can clearly see that Walker knew EXACTLY where Wilhemsson was but he had no choice to come inside to cover the Central runner as we had Phil Jones pointing to Cahill to pick him up ( after he ran past Jones ), but Cahill couldn't as he was already picking up a Centre Forward & Terry had started to drift out to the left in case he had to cover Baines.

Walker HAD TO come inside to cover but watch him, as soon as he comes into screen he glances over his shoulder at Wilhelmsson & knows exactly where he is but still has no choice but to go & cover the central runner from Midfield.

Jones should have tracked that runner anyway but didn't & the 2 Centre Halves know it as they scream at the Central Midfielders afterwards so to blame Walker is wrong, watch it yourself, you can't deny it, from 4:04 & pause it to watch & see exactly what i'm saying.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not only over critical Pinks but you're wrong on this occasion too.

===

I could do with Kyle Walker's Nan being a member on here at this moment in time to be honest Pinks aye.. :wink:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2941 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Give you that one Detective Bob . :thup:

Still thought he defended poorly generally throughout that game though .
durham city hammer

Post by durham city hammer »

Our wingers never turned up and for us to have any fluidity or cutting edge to our play we need them to be firing, fatigue may have come into it a little but for me saturdays disjointed performance was pretty much what we were being served up when we had no taylor, vaz te or faubert playing out wide, we usually manage to scrape through by the odd goal but credit to palace who were set up very well tactically, if vaz te and faubert had turned up we would have won the game imo, players having off days is part of football obviously, but we seem to have them too often, especially at home which for me, going into the run in is a worry!
Last edited by durham city hammer on Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Stepney wrote:No, I don't have a problem with that. .
So why were you digging him out in his last post?
Stepney wrote:I just think its hilarious how some people's opinions are formed.
No argument there...
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Jesus.

This place is depressing today!

A good point I though. Got it a bit wrong in the first half, but improved in the second and I thought that Palace defended admirably. We've improved over the last 7 months for sure, but we don't have the firepower or creativity to blow these teams away as we would like. Fortunately, it's not too big a problem as the league isn't quite as good as it has been over previous years and Allardyce has made us very hard to beat.

The Collison and Nolan debate will run and run. But a team lacking energy and failing to get out of the blocks quickly is never going to be about 1 player. It's about the team. Also, I think we've come off the back of 3 really good results. There was always going to be a lesser performance, good that when it came it a) wasn't against one of our promotion rivals and b) we didn't lose.

Dependent on what Allardyce decides to do with Tomkins though...we could well see a West Ham side that doesn't have either of Collison or Nolan in it! Imagine that!!!
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Turns to Stone wrote:Dependent on what Allardyce decides to do with Tomkins though...we could well see a West Ham side that doesn't have either of Collison or Nolan in it! Imagine that!!!
I personally thought Tomkins didn't look as comfortable in his role on Saturday, because Palace didn't attack us directly. They played the ball into the feet of players who got between the defense and midfield and people ran off them, dragging Reid and Tomkins out of position.

Southampton did it but always got the ball out wide and put in endless crosses which Tomkins and the two centre backs dealt with very well. On Saturday Palace's approach play was very intelligent in the first half. I think the fact that we took the game to them more in the second half meant they were on the defensive like we were in the first half.

I thought Palace's overall performance was one of the best from the opposition at UP so far this season. Even in a lot of our 1-0 wins we created endless chances, that was not the case on Saturday. Chances for us were at a premium.

That is why I just accepted that they did a good job on us, so take the point, the positive of a clean sheet and move on.
Biggin-Hammer

Post by Biggin-Hammer »

Just read the responses from the palace supporters on the main page. I know these responses are biased but think it infuriating to read them slating our 'hoof' ball tactics... Granted, our performance on saturday wasn't a great advert for our style of football but many of them quoted in saying that they are a much better team to watch than us.

To me, it seems as though Palace are the ones who have been stifling teams all season. Looking at their results it has been 1-0's, 0-0's all season. In the first half they had shots from distance but didn't I feel threaten as much as they are leading on. IMO we succumbed to their level at the weekend, we have played some good football this year but we allowed the game to become scrappy, poor touches, mis-lead passes etc. Palace don't play good football, they have one good player amongst a load of ****, if we'd have passed the ball properly like we have been the game was ours all day long. We got complacent.
Turns to Stone

Post by Turns to Stone »

Hockley Hammer wrote: I personally thought Tomkins didn't look as comfortable in his role on Saturday, because Palace didn't attack us directly. They played the ball into the feet of players who got between the defense and midfield and people ran off them, dragging Reid and Tomkins out of position.
:thup:

I made the point in the Nolan thread that a team of our quality, playing at home shouldn't reallly need a screening player. And if Allardyce absolutely must have one, then I would suggest that he use Noble or Nolan rather than Diop or Tomkins because that player is then at least able to become an attacking player if the team dictates.

If Allardyce is set on having a screening player, then he really needs to start looking at his full-backs. Now we have Vaz Te who can do a job on the left, then maybe Taylor could be used at left-back and Faubert at right-back to give us more of a 3-5-2 feel.

Either way, I agree...Tomkins' position seemed like a bit of a waste of a player on Saturday.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

TTS

But that's the way we have been set up most of the season which has us (Pinky, bristol, miami, Romford et al) crying out for a change. And we get pilloried for suggesting such heresy.

:wink:
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

Just read the opposition view...

Worried if you were a West Ham fan? Ok then mate take a look at yourself first!
Turns to Stone

Post by Turns to Stone »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:TTS

But that's the way we have been set up most of the season which has us (Pinky, bristol, miami, Romford et al) crying out for a change. And we get pilloried for suggesting such heresy.

:wink:
Not by me, Oust.

I've said time and time again that if Allardyce really wanted Nolan in the side than he and Noble would be fine in a four man midfield.

Plus, as I say, it's about the totally defensive holding midfielder. For example, Collison, Noble, Nolan is a completely different midfield to Tomkins, Noble, Nolan.

I've had no problem with the ideas of you and the rest of the 4 horsemen as mentioned above, but I've always thought that Nolan was one of our best 11 players and 1 of our best central midfielders so was worthy of his place in the side. That was always my argument, nothing to do with the formation and style.
ForeverWestHam

Post by ForeverWestHam »

Read the Palace responses, not only have they slated our football on Saturday but they've also slated our support. :think: