Cardiff City 0 West Ham Utd 2 (04/03/2012)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Re: Cardiff City V West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by prophet:marginal »

Great team performance today. Maybe took a bit of time to get going, but that was another fully deserved victory on the road, against a so-called challenger for promotion. I was in the home section (upper tier) and had a great view of the game. Went with a Cardiff fan whose view is that his team is just too inconsistent to be taken as a credible shout for promotion.

Its true, there was a big contrast between how they played LFC and how the played us, but I quickly got tired of their repeated efforts to con free-kicks out of the ref. People all around me were cursing West Ham for playing dirty, but the truth was their own team were tripping and diving, making out they were being fouled.

Some real stand out performances for me today. Noble and Nolan totally bossed their midfield for the 90 - giving Cardiff no platform for their passing game - and Faye probably won 95%+ of the headed challenges that came his way. Its typical of course that I midlly moaned about McCartney in this thread before the game. Felt he really put in a shift today and was of course on hand for a goal that was reward for his persistence.

Additionally, although some of his efforts didn't pay dividends, and he tired in the 2nd half, I think Ricky Vaz put in his shift defensively, forming further a working partnership with Linda.

One point to make in passing, as much as its not really a moan; a more clinical forward line would (should?) have put us out of reach before half time. Some of Cardiff's mistakes could have been more fully punished perhaps, but credit to Maynard for the pass to Nolan to set us on our way.

A fun weekend topped off by a well-deserved victory.

Nice one, Irons. :crest:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Cardiff have suffered four of their eight defeats this season at home.

In fact strangely enough, looking over the table, not many teams are losing at home in the grand scheme of things.

Donny have only lost 5. 13 teams have lost 5 or fewer games at home. Another 5 have only lost 6. Palace, Soton only 2 and Brum only 1. Of course a lot of teams haven't won their home games, but they don't lose many.
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

Davev wrote:Was it Cardiff or us singing Bob Marley's 3 little birds?

Seen the clIp of Ajax singing that at old Trafford....quality
Bradley_m
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Bradley_m »

In typical west ham supporter fashion I thought today was a big banana skin, especially given a few results yesterday.
But my fears were unfounded.
I have not been BFS biggest fan, but I think I have been won over.
A few months back we were playing dire long ball football. But we've since lost that. Now we are a hard working unit, and one capable of scoring goals all over the park.
This team took liverpool to pens in a cup final an not once did we look second best.
Sam, I wasn't a fan of yours but you are slowly winning me round, you big headed gum chewing ugly b*stard you. :crest:
mattjp
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by mattjp »

Performance was excellent today, and if people are gonna pick holes in it, frankly I think they'll moan about anything.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

We're winning abroad...We're winning abroad... :lol:
AJ
Location: Dreaming dreams, scheming schemes, building castles high

Post by AJ »

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.p ... v-West-Ham

Dont know why some of them hate us so much? Small minded?
gegsy
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by gegsy »

this may sound daft, but could somebody who went explain why we were singing "god save the queen"?

Like I said, it sounds daft, but I'm just checking something.
Adie64
Has liked: 463 likes

Post by Adie64 »

Well played to all the team, just keep it going lads. COYI :raver:
Some people will moan no matter how we play with Big Sam in charge. If it's not his fault it's the Daves or Karren.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

gegsy wrote:this may sound daft, but could somebody who went explain why we were singing "god save the queen"?

To wind up the Welsh?
(Yes, I know she's their queen too, but, given that we were also singing 'England' and that we were 'winning abroad', it was just playing about with that I'd have thought).
Chippenhammer
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Chippenhammer »

Major wrote:Devolution???? **** Scotland. loose them inbred, sheep interfering with, choir singing, two bob *****!!!

I hate Cardiff, it was cold the police are corrupt ******* and the stewards were absolute twats.

Apart from that was a good day!! :lol:

Until i get on here and read morons like Puff etc, whining about our players after beating a top of the table rival 2-0 away. Some of you want to get a bit of perspective, it wasn't pretty but each and every one of them ran their b*llocks off today. We had no passengers (NONE) the substitutions were spot on to win the game, as was proven. We showed a lot of guts today.

Top post
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

AJ wrote:http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.p ... v-West-Ham

Pressures getting at them and we're not going away...hanging on their shoulder keeps it cranked up...another 5 games and we'll be seeing complete hysteria setting in...in both camps. Gonna be a bit of a frantic ride.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

AJ wrote:http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.p ... v-West-Ham

Yeah, it's pretty pervasive over there. You don't see anyone on here spending any time slagging them off, despite being our closest challengers all season. Seems a bit insecure. The most annoying thing is they keep going on about our "arrogance" which is supposedly symbolised by Romford organising a boat cruise at the end of the season - the same cruise that also took place last season when we were relegated.
Last edited by Aceface on Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chippenhammer
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Chippenhammer »

Interesting reading the Saints fans posts though. Some sensible and some downright bitter. Usual mix I guess. I think both ourselves and them deserve to go up. Reading are the major threat to both of us but they have to come to both of us so we have our fate in our own hands. This is the month of make or break for me and a great start.
helloducks

Post by helloducks »

Really showing what we're made of now.
Big well done to the team and BFS for another solid performance and to the ever fantastic travelling support. :thup:
Longneck'd Iron

Post by Longneck'd Iron »

As mentioned, Faye was awesome today.
Good to here BFS getting mentioned by the supporters (give us a wave).
The two Middle aged Cardiff fans (to our right), clapping the Hammers fans at the end of the game :thup:
Av it

Post by Av it »

Faye was the beast he was brought in to be in the championship. Overall top team performance, on another day we would be talking about a Maynard hattrick. Let's be honest, anyone who wouldn't have taken that result before kick off is a big numpty! Make mine a large one! Nurse!
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

w10 d3 l4 f28 a17 +21

thats our away from this year lads. How many years do we have to add together to get to 10 wins away from home? Id hazard a guess at about four or five.... its a great season thus far, we will kick on and win this league. Well.

As for the saints fans...f*** me, like im worried about them or even have any opinion about them. Quite why they have stopped doing their homework and decided to tell the world that they "hate" west ham, lord only knows- they had two shots against about 30 yesterday against a decidedly dodgy leeds side. In fact I do have an opinion abouts them come to think of it- hope they go up and do a sunderland on us..12 points all season!

IRRRRRRRONNNS!
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

gegsy wrote:this may sound daft, but could somebody who went explain why we were singing "god save the queen"?

they didnt play GSTQ at the CC cup final last week ( like they usually do) as they were worried about the taffies booing. So, in an ironic way , we stuck it to them :crest:
Gnome
Quite eloquent for a garden ornament
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Gnome »

Home.

Happy.