Cardiff City 0 West Ham Utd 2 (04/03/2012)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Re: Cardiff City V West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Pop Robson »

gegsy wrote:this may sound daft, but could somebody who went explain why we were singing "god save the queen"?

Like I said, it sounds daft, but I'm just checking something.
w4hammer wrote: they didnt play GSTQ at the CC cup final last week ( like they usually do) as they were worried about the taffies booing. So, in an ironic way , we stuck it to them :crest:
Is Charlotte Church the nearest the taffs have to a Queen now days?
Rasp
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rasp »

They also have Tom Jones
Simply Moore

Post by Simply Moore »

That's not unusual
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Just got back from a nippy Cardiff , certainly not a day for washing your car by hand, hopefully tomorrow will be warmer . First time for us at their new place , so I took the opportunity to walk through the original Ninian Park gates which they have erected on one side of the new development .The new stadium was a bit of a soulless bowl to be honest, the standard identikit modern build .

Given all the grief in terms of ticketing arrangements , it was an excellent turnout from our mob - especially with the early KO and the game on the telly .The blokes handing out the tickets from the Van all had Scouse accents and could clearly be heard asking for vouchers or cash in exchange for a ticket .You'll probably see them at Burnley as well .For it to be their biggest gate of the season emphasises we are the side the rest want to see , and the side the rest want to beat .

To do that though they need to be better than Cardiff were today .I thought we bossed the game - albeit wind assisted in the first half , with Nolan and Noble having good games in midifeld and Faye playing superbly .Cardiff had a couple of chances in the second half , but a combination of Greens athleticism and the additional lick of paint their groundsman put on the post ,kept them at bay .
If one was to be super critical you could express concerns as to our finishing - 5-0 would not have flattered us such were the clean cut opportunities , but a 2-0 win away from home , our 10th away win of the season, was simply magnificent . George's goal was a touch scrappy but they all count , even if you bang them in with your todger .

And the "we're winning abroad" chant :lol:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

the pink palermo wrote:Just got back from a nippy Cardiff , certainly not a day for washing your car by hand, hopefully tomorrow will be warmer . First time for us at their new place , so I took the opportunity to walk through the original Ninian Park gates which they have erected on one side of the new development .The new stadium was a bit of a soulless bowl to be honest, the standard identikit modern build .

Given all the grief in terms of ticketing arrangements , it was an excellent turnout from our mob - especially with the early KO and the game on the telly .The blokes handing out the tickets from the Van all had Scouse accents and could clearly be heard asking for vouchers or cash in exchange for a ticket .You'll probably see them at Burnley as well .For it to be their biggest gate of the season emphasises we are the side the rest want to see , and the side the rest want to beat .
I walked through that gate too (although didn't realise I had until I turned back and noticed).

It was a touch saucy for them to sing 'all you bring away' in a 3/4 full stadium...

..and the drum?! What's that all about then? :x
Gnome
Quite eloquent for a garden ornament
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Gnome »

the pink palermo wrote:Just got back from a nippy Cardiff , certainly not a day for washing your car by hand, hopefully tomorrow will be warmer .

You're ok - the forecast for Mark Noble's gaff is warm and dry!

Other chants worthy of note were the "Nessa" ones and "You're just a fat Charlotte Church"!
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

Support was quality with witty, patriotic songs throughout, some decent flags on display as well.
Noble was the nuts, the blokes a hero.
What has happened to Cardiff though, Ninian Park was one of the most intimidating grounds, nowadays at their new identical flat pack gaff it's all abit sanitised.
Fully worth the voucher exchange malarkey, top away day.
Me ol china

Post by Me ol china »

Pop Robson wrote:
Gareth Thomas ?
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

Two nil away from home to a strong competitor and people still dig out players.....FFS. Short minded some of you, forgetting Vaz Te's run and cut inside the box to finish last week...

He has the confidence to take a player on and drive into the box, he ain't gonna play a blinder every single week, he's only been here for six or seven weeks but has managed to get a starting spot already, doesn't that tell you something..clearly Sam see's something in him.

Bring on Twatford. :crest:
New Jersey
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by New Jersey »

Faye won everything at the back, Cardiff really didn't look like breaking us down, and last week they gave Liverpool all they could handle. I thought we had the right shape and hustled them all over the pitch, which made them look very ordinary. I think Maynard will come good, and he adds more pace than Carlton does. He's missed his chances today, but still contributed for Nolan's goal. Actually, if you watch the replay, after he passes to Nolan, he is looking to run into space for a return ball. I agree with UTJ, I thought Cardiff looked better when Cole replaced Maynard. Vaz Te might not have had his best game, but he is a threat, and put in a good defensive shift, as did everyone.

I know a lot of people aren't fans of Big Sam, but today's perfromance was just what we needed, and we are no longer the pushovers that we've been for many years. We might not like the style of football, but I trust Big Sam to make us difficult to beat next season, (I'm jumping the gun and saying that we will be promoted). The club needs to establish itself as a solid Premiership team, and Big Sam can do that.
hammer2192

Post by hammer2192 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... am_United/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Game now on BBC iplayer :)
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

anyone have a link for the download of that?

reading the soton comments, they seem to be obsessed by us. A case of they know they are not as strong as us.

The owners should get some credit for backing Sam in Jan as well as last summer.

Have we finally got a bond between owners, manager and players? Looks like it! :thup:
ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1193 likes

Post by ironilunga »

The sheer strength, organisation and experience of our team is winning us games and will see us through.

Nolans importance cannot be underestimated to this team. Seems able to marshall the players and I think he is an excellent captain. Well taken goal.

Maynard and Vaz need time but will come good. I would like to see them play against Watford. Taking them out of the team now would be IMO counter productive.

Noble was outstanding again but special mention to Faye who is an absolute monster. Unplayable at times and a wall to get past. Worth taking up to be part of our squad next year.

Good performance today. Somehow our displays are less anxiety provoking this year. We are a solid unit.
BalaamBoy
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by BalaamBoy »

It wasn't the prettiest spectacle, but it was solid and Cardiff never really looked like scoring, Whittingham aside.

Faye was a wall, Noble energetic and tidy - overall very happy with 3 points away!

If only Vaz Te had the final product. He runs well and tackles and puts pressure on the defenders - if he could shoot it could have been quite a haul yesterday.

I was watching on TV so the effect of the microphones may be slightly distorting. Was it as soulless and lacking in atmosphere as it seemed?
the wren
Location: Alpari Upper, complete with view of Barking-Upon-Thames

Post by the wren »

Excellent performance from the team yesterday. Cardiff were not allowed to get going, Malky outhought by big Sam. We were totally in command and we ourselves looked like the home team. Why the excuses for cardiff looking jaded ? They have had 8 days to recover and i was expecting a backlash. Sam had us more motivated than Malky had them. This is a game we normally lose. Not anymore!!! :)
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

kayahammer wrote:anyone have a link for the download of that?
Full match downloads on the streaming thread:
http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 0#p3311640
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Re: Cardiff City V West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

did faye get the mom award - he desrved it ?
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:did faye get the mom award - he desrved it ?
Kevin Nolan got mom from a few of the papers. BBC didn't name one :lol:
djoe

Post by djoe »

Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:did faye get the mom award - he desrved it ?
Faye, Nolan and Noble were the stand outs in a great team performance....