Cardiff City 0 West Ham Utd 2 (04/03/2012)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

llanelliiron

Re: Cardiff City V West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by llanelliiron »

In the sun
Green 6
O brien 6
Tompkins 6
Faye 6
McCartney 7
Collinson 6
Nolan 8
Noble 7
Lansbury 6
Vaz Te 5
Maynard 5
Some comical marks there
Top day out expect the services and hour to get out of car park
Quality singing especially aimed at the fat bird in the red coat priceless
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Re: Cardiff City V West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by kayahammer »

BalaamBoy wrote:I was watching on TV so the effect of the microphones may be slightly distorting. Was it as soulless and lacking in atmosphere as it seemed?

Me too and from where I was sitting (in Thailand) our boys were making a hell of a noise nearly all the way through the game. Couldn't hear Cardiff though.
10 Iron

Post by 10 Iron »

Very solid overall performance, far more confident for Leeds than i may have been .

Great support from our fans. As always away :thup:

Apart from set pieces,where we need to be tighter and more disciplined. our lads controlled the vast majority of the game.

The future is looking brighter, roll on Watford ,Donny.

A very important away win.
Collo

Post by Collo »

Can't speak in too much depth about the nuances of the game itself as was thoroughly Gorillas by time our minibus crossed the bridge, but what a belter of a day. Just watched the main bits again on iView, outstanding volume from the away corner. Best I've been to since arriving in the country.
steviechaz

Post by steviechaz »

Just about the perfect away performance.

Faye outstanding at the back, in fact thw hole back 4 looked solid. Nolan had I feel his best game for the club and Noble must have covered every blade of grass.

BFS certainly did his homework and had the team pressing all over the pitch which totally restricted Cardiff. Only downside was the number of chances that were missed that could have been crucial if Whittingham's shot had gone and not hit the post.
Gormalysis
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Gormalysis »

llanelliiron wrote:In the sun
Some comical marks there
Did the person who gave those ratings even watch the game? Faye 6!? Wouldn't say Maynard was a 5 either.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

llanelliiron wrote:In the sun ... Some comical marks there
Wasn't written by Justin Allen - ie the journalist who lied about the booing and got the stats wrong last week - was it?
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Superb result.

That is two very good away wins on the trot and we have another two tough ones coming up.

My main concern is that we get in front because generally we have been hard to beat and I am confident we can hold out in games.

I think it is right to be critical of the finishing, we were a coat of paint from it being 1-1 when we could have been at least three goals clear and for their crowd and players it would only have been a consolation not a lifeline.

Two good home wins now please :thup:
Big_Russ

Post by Big_Russ »

Faye played ridiculously well, head on everything. So composed. Positionally amazing

Noble was excellent in CM worked his socks off, tackled passed and linked play very well

Maynard looked full of potential, very quick and ran the channels well

Collison had a nightmare, second to everything the whole game, Vaz Te is the laziest man alive, spent most of the game jogging behind McCartney, Cole was an embarrassment when he came on, back to goal, no control, look out fans its carlton cole!

Rest of the side played ok, lack of pace in midfield is a real worry, as was our inability to finish any of the 10 chances we had at 1-0 up.

Roll on Wednesday! :raver:
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Thought that we were a better team when Tomkins was back in centre back, his natural role and it is called 'natural' for a reason. Don't think that we need to necessarily need to play someone to cover our defence imo, isn't our defence good enough? Didn't we prove that yesterday against Cardiff that we don't need a man covering the defence? :think: Even when Diop comes back, I don't think he should automatically deserve the right to slot back in that place. We should be more attacking and aim to whallop some of the teams that are our remaining fixtures. Go all out attack as I think yesterday was one of the best performances I have seen in a long while.

On another note, thought that Lansbury was really good yesterday and didn't deserve to be taken off early. Especially seeing as Collison was just as bad. (Not a personal dig at Jack, just to make it clear.)
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:On another note, thought that Lansbury was really good yesterday and didn't deserve to be taken off early. Especially seeing as Collison was just as bad. (Not a personal dig at Jack, just to make it clear.)
I was amazed it was him that came off as Collison wasn't playing great and Vaz Te was offering nothing.
Parso

Post by Parso »

Lansbury did have a full 90 in the week for the U21 so maybe he was pulled early for the rest. I think he will play Wednesday night.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Parso wrote:Lansbury did have a full 90 in the week for the U21 so maybe he was pulled early for the rest. I think he will play Wednesday night.
He came off after 70 mins for the Under 21's.
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

Big_Russ wrote:Cole was an embarrassment when he came on, back to goal, no control, look out fans its carlton cole!
I am a Cole fan and always defend him - but got to admit that I thought he looked pretty lazy when he came on. Really thought he would have seen Maynard's application, felt a bit of pressure and thought "I'd better put in a shift here". No sprinting to close players down - just seemed to jog around.

Looking forward to Wednesday too!
Last edited by Up the Junction on Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote edited.
hammerjohn

Post by hammerjohn »

Maynard did well , not sharp enough in front of goal but perhaps that will improve but nobody could fault his passion and work rate.
He gave 100% and we can ask for no more from him. As for Ricky Vaz Te I know some people seem to see something in him, but personally I see him as a liability.
Cardiff were playing a negative defensive hit them on the break sort of game which could have cost us.
It's one thing to play them off the park, it's another to finish them off when you can.

Faye was superb, and without doubt deserved to be MOTM.
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

Refusing to do the voucher exchange I travelled by train & sat with home fans in the 'Grandstand', opposite away fans.
Our support was excellent in terms of noise (if not huge numbers) while Cardiff was poor. Nothing like Ninian Park - seemed more like a theatre audience where I was.
I didn't hide that I was West Ham when we scored but no one seemed to mind (as it should be)
Nice to hear comments that West Ham best team to have played there this season - but they didn't like the ref! or Faye!
GeorgeParris'Pet

Post by GeorgeParris'Pet »

hammerjohn wrote:He gave 100% and we can ask for no more from him. .
Scoring one on ones?
hammerjohn

Post by hammerjohn »

GeorgeParris'Pet wrote:
Scoring one on ones?
No George his work rate, he tracked back to help the defence , worked his socks off.
GeorgeParris'Pet

Post by GeorgeParris'Pet »

Sorry, I expect all players to work hard.

For me, given the role he was given his performance was acceptable. However, surely one of the reasons for buying him is to finish. At which he was woeful yesterday.

Am quite sure it's new boy syndrome - Cole would have received dogs abuse for missing the chance that Maynard did yesterday.

Not suggesting he should be dropped, I'd give him games and a lot of them - but to suggest we can't ask for anything more is an opinion I can't agree with.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Re: Cardiff City V West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by prophet:marginal »

BalaamBoy wrote:
I was watching on TV so the effect of the microphones may be slightly distorting. Was it as soulless and lacking in atmosphere as it seemed?
Not at all. Quite a fun atmosphere, I thought.

Didn't help that West Ham were shoved right in the corner, with blank space on either side, but, even though it was reliant on a moody old drum, the Cardiff support made some noise until we went 2 up.

Then, audible only to them, the old fire drill went off. :D