West Ham Utd 1 Watford 1 (07/03/2012)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Watford: match thread

Post by e17 »

Soton_Hammer wrote:Cant believe how inconsistent we are!

Watford! its Watford! Headbanger
West Ham! It's West Ham!

Never been anything but inconsistent in my 27 years of going over there.

In my first full season we finished 3rd. My first as a ST we were relegated. There was barely 3 years between those events.

Inconsistent is our middle name. I expected us to lose tonight, THAT would have truly been 'the West Ham way'

Calm down folks. We're gonna go up, & as champions at that. We're gonna win this weekend & absolutely gut Reading, Nolan to step up & Noble to supply the ammo.
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

From bbc:

Watford, for their part, defended doggedly and were just three minutes away from securing a third successive win at Upton Park.

Did you know?
Sean Murray's only other goal for Watford came in a 3-2 win over Leicester on 14 February
Matt Taylor, back in the West Ham line-up after a three-match ban, crashed a shot against the crossbar from 30 yards with less than a minute of the game gone.

The Hammers twice opened up a stubborn Watford defence just before half-time, only for Kuszczak to come to the visitors' rescue with saves from Noble and Tomkins.

Just before the hour mark, Watford lost Dale Bennett, who was carried off on a stretcher wearing a neck brace after colliding with team-mate John Eustace.

West Ham's failure to punish Watford proved costly as 18-year-old midfielder Murray shot home off the far post.

However, Vaz Te fired goalwards from a corner and the ball squeezed over the line before Kuszczak could react.

-
Live text:

90:00 +9:45 The final whistle is blown by the referee.
90:00 +9:34 Booking Booking
Jonathan Hogg receives a caution.
90:00 +8:30 Free kick taken by Robert Green. Jonathan Hogg challenges Mark Noble unfairly and gives away a free kick. Mark Noble restarts play with the free kick.
90:00 +8:30 Booking Booking
Booking for Alex Kacaniklic for unsporting behaviour.
90:00 +7:24 Julien Faubert takes a shot. Tomasz Kuszczak makes a comfortable save.
90:00 +4:40 Outswinging corner taken by Mark Noble from the right by-line, Troy Deeney makes a clearance.
90:00 +2:25 Henri Lansbury takes a shot. Tomasz Kuszczak makes a save.
90:00 +1:54 Troy Deeney gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on George McCartney. Direct free kick taken by Mark Noble.
90:00 +0:59 Free kick awarded for a foul by Chris Iwelumo on Julien Faubert. Direct free kick taken by James Tomkins.
89:29 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Mark Noble from the left by-line, Martin Taylor manages to make a clearance.
86:43 Substitution Substitution
Sean Murray goes off and Prince Buaben comes on.
86:43 Goal scored Goal - Ricardo Vaz Te - West Ham 1 - 1 Watford
Ricardo Vaz Te fires in a goal from deep inside the penalty box to the bottom right corner of the goal. West Ham 1-1 Watford.
86:13 Ricardo Vaz Te takes a shot. Save by Tomasz Kuszczak. Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Mark Noble.
85:47 The referee penalises Chris Iwelumo for handball. Direct free kick taken by Kevin Nolan.
84:19 Mark Noble challenges Troy Deeney unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Adrian Mariappa.
83:44 John Eustace takes a shot from long range which goes wide right of the goal.
81:53 Corner taken by Alex Kacaniklic from the right by-line.
81:07 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Mark Noble, Header from deep inside the area by Ricardo Vaz Te goes over the bar.
80:51 Kevin Nolan takes a shot. Carl Dickinson gets a block in.
79:49 Corner taken by Mark Noble from the left by-line, free kick awarded for a foul by James Tomkins on Martin Taylor. Direct free kick taken by Tomasz Kuszczak.
79:09 Martin Taylor challenges Carlton Cole unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick crossed by Mark Noble, clearance made by Lloyd Doyley.
77:58 Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Mark Noble.
76:59 Sam Baldock takes a shot. Save by Tomasz Kuszczak.
76:42 Abdoulaye Faye fouled by Troy Deeney, the ref awards a free kick. Abdoulaye Faye restarts play with the free kick.
73:39 Substitution Substitution
Ricardo Vaz Te replaces Matthew Taylor.
73:39 Substitution Substitution
Henri Lansbury joins the action as a substitute, replacing Joey O'Brien.
73:39 Julien Faubert has an effort at goal from deep inside the area missing to the right of the goal.
72:09 Alex Kacaniklic takes a shot. Save by Robert Green.
69:14 Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Alex Kacaniklic, Troy Deeney produces a right-footed shot from close range which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
67:53 Goal scored Goal - Sean Murray - West Ham 0 - 1 Watford
Sean Murray finds the net with a goal from just outside the penalty box to the bottom right corner of the goal. West Ham 0-1 Watford.
67:20 Troy Deeney is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Robert Green takes the indirect free kick.
67:02 John Eustace takes a shot. Save made by Robert Green.
65:01 Corner from left by-line taken by Sean Murray.
64:43 Alex Kacaniklic takes a shot. Blocked by Joey O'Brien.
63:14 Lloyd Doyley fouled by Matthew Taylor, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Tomasz Kuszczak.
60:57 Direct free kick taken by Sean Murray.
60:57 Substitution Substitution
Sam Baldock is brought on as a substitute for Nicky Maynard.
60:57 Mark Noble gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Jonathan Hogg.
57:28 Substitution Substitution
Dale Bennett leaves the field to be replaced by Martin Taylor.
50:05 Joey O'Brien takes a shot. John Eustace gets a block in.
48:24 George McCartney fouled by Sean Murray, the ref awards a free kick. Mark Noble takes the direct free kick.
47:30 Close range headed effort by James Tomkins clears the crossbar.
46:34 Dale Bennett gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Nicky Maynard. Matthew Taylor delivers the ball from the free kick left-footed from right wing, clearance made by Adrian Mariappa. Short corner worked by Mark Noble.
45:01 The game restarts for the second half.
45:00 +2:57 The ref blows to signal half-time.
45:00 +2:14 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Alex Kacaniklic from the right by-line, save by Robert Green.
44:49 Corner taken short by Matthew Taylor.
44:15 Jonathan Hogg concedes a free kick for a foul on Carlton Cole. Free kick taken by Mark Noble.
43:53 Matthew Taylor has an effort at goal from just outside the box which goes wide of the left-hand post.
43:33 Free kick awarded for a foul by Troy Deeney on Robert Green. Robert Green takes the direct free kick.
42:48 Sean Murray takes a shot. Save made by Robert Green.
42:12 Free kick awarded for a foul by Abdoulaye Faye on Troy Deeney. Alex Kacaniklic crosses the ball from the free kick left-footed from right wing, Carlton Cole manages to make a clearance.
40:56 John Eustace fouled by Carlton Cole, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Tomasz Kuszczak.
40:22 John Eustace has an effort at goal from outside the box missing to the wide left of the goal.
37:58 James Tomkins takes a shot. Save by Tomasz Kuszczak.
37:39 Unfair challenge on Matthew Taylor by Chris Iwelumo results in a free kick. Matthew Taylor takes the direct free kick.
36:50 Mark Noble takes a shot. Save by Tomasz Kuszczak.
35:15 James Tomkins fouled by Troy Deeney, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by James Tomkins.
34:36 Alex Kacaniklic takes a shot. Save by Robert Green.
32:31 Inswinging corner taken by Mark Noble from the left by-line, Header from close range by Carlton Cole misses to the right of the goal.
31:38 Alex Kacaniklic has an effort at goal from outside the box which misses left.
28:53 Chris Iwelumo concedes a free kick for a foul on Abdoulaye Faye. Robert Green restarts play with the free kick.
27:44 Foul by Joey O'Brien on Alex Kacaniklic, free kick awarded. The free kick is delivered right-footed by Sean Murray from left wing.
22:29 Direct free kick taken by Carl Dickinson.
22:29 Booking Booking
Mark Noble is shown a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
22:18 Mark Noble challenges Alex Kacaniklic unfairly and gives away a free kick.
21:24 Free kick awarded for a foul by John Eustace on George McCartney. Mark Noble takes the direct free kick.
17:57 Carlton Cole challenges John Eustace unfairly and gives away a free kick. Tomasz Kuszczak restarts play with the free kick.
17:19 Alex Kacaniklic produces a left-footed shot from just outside the box that goes wide right of the target.
16:37 Foul by Nicky Maynard on Jonathan Hogg, free kick awarded. Lloyd Doyley takes the direct free kick.
6:59 The referee blows for offside against Chris Iwelumo. Mark Noble takes the free kick.
4:45 James Tomkins gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Troy Deeney. Direct strike on goal from the free kick comes in from Sean Murray, save made by Robert Green.
3:51 Mark Noble gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Troy Deeney. Adrian Mariappa restarts play with the free kick.
1:03 Matthew Taylor takes a shot.
0:41 Shot from just outside the box by Troy Deeney misses to the left of the target.
0:00 The match begins.
Ironza

Post by Ironza »

Has 4-4-2 ever worked on the few occasions we have played that system? I remember against Derby us starting like that and than changing.

The formation does not suit Nolan so I don't understand why we play it? Felt we done alright during some periods of the first half but the ball just wouldn't fall for us.

After we scored both Noble and Tomkins were urging fans to get behind us. I can understand people being annoyed that things are not going for us but when you get two homegrown players pleading for support and not negativity something ain't right. That filters down onto the pith and does not help the players.........

Its a point, nothing less than 3 will do on Saturday....
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Hammer Laffers wrote:That's the last time I take Dyer's leg. Everytime I take him it's a boring game and a **** result!

b*llocks. It's you. You stop going, we will piss the league by 20 points.
ParisTheHammer

Post by ParisTheHammer »

Major wrote: No you're not and thats my point the modern football fan is all about winning. And if they don't its all about bitching. Over the years West Ham fans have always had a moan but i swear we wouldn't have been booing a team off that is near the top of the league. Its ******* obscene.

I'm guessing you're not that old? We have always been quite **** just sometimes shitter than others. Its what we are deal with it.
I didn't moan when we drew 1-1 to Birmingham
I didn't moan when we lost 1-0 to Southampton
I didn't moan when we lost 2-1 to Derby
I didn't moan when we drew with Palace both times.
Did have a whinge when we lost both times to Ipswich

I didn't moan for the most of last season, when nearly EVERYONE was moaning week in week out! I had a bit of a whinge when we lost 3-2 to Wigan, but quite frank I think I'm entitled to that one. However for the most part I was always optimistic even when we lost 5-1 at Newcastle. When Carlton Cole was having a drought and the whole stadium would boo him off, I never booed him I never jeerd at him, I always thought Cole gave his best and being a good player or not I had massive respect for him just for that alone.

Do not judge me, you don't know me or anything about me. Your are more than entitled to disagree with my opinion but do not spout your unnecessary abusive nonsense directly at me. Espically when it's pretty damn inaccurate.
Last edited by ParisTheHammer on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Same old West Ham hit the bar in the 1st minute, Faubert can't hit a barn door.

I felt sorry for those in the long queue for the TO at 7:43pm as I entered the ground.

Lots of Bolton style hoofs up to Cole to flick on, which for a change he won loads. Most when playing against the 2 short centre backs, alas they stuck the big giant to cover for the injured player and that was the end of Cole's flick ons
Billericay Hammer
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by Billericay Hammer »

morrisey is a hammer wrote:Very poor night at the office. taylor, faubert, and cole were horrid. We really didnt deserve any thing other than what we got. Fair play too Watford.
Faubert and to an extent Taylor I agree with, however Cole on the other hand I thought was a handful all night. His hold up play was good, he hardly lost a ball in the air all night, particularly in the 1st half and the areas in which his flick ons fell were good ones and in general he lead the line very well.
Major
%&!$
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 330 likes

Post by Major »

Do not judge me, you don't know me or anything about me. Your are more than entitled to disagree with my opinion but do not spout your unnecessary abusive nonsense directly at me. Espically when it's pretty damn inaccurate.
Why did you moan like f*** tonight then? anyone else that was spouting all the **** based on web rumour and radio can answer as well just so that you don't feel persecuted...

Touchy sod aren't you???
Hammer Laffers
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Hammer Laffers »

Dyer's Leg wrote:

b*llocks. It's you. You stop going, we will piss the league by 20 points.
To be fair you're not the first person to say that :lol:
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Why do we never win a home game that's not on a Saturday? :lol:.

Thought we did well first half, but struggled to break down Watford's 7 men on the line. It was frustrating, but it's what they came to do.
EastEndIRON
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by EastEndIRON »

Why did you moan like **** tonight then? anyone else that was spouting all the **** based on web rumour and radio can answer as well just so that you don't feel persecuted...

Touchy sod aren't you???
Well it clearly doesn't take much to annoy you does it

You "reactive sod"

:thup:
ParisTheHammer

Post by ParisTheHammer »

Major wrote: Why did you moan like **** tonight then? anyone else that was spouting all the **** based on web rumour and radio can answer as well just so that you don't feel persecuted...

Touchy sod aren't you???
I'm not touchy, far from it. Compared to alot of football fans such as yourself, I'm pretty damn mellow. I had a moan tonight because I thought that we should of been able to win. It was a game that would of sent us top with a game in hand, but like many times before we have now missed that chance, again. So to answer your question, sheer damn frustration. Whats wrong with that? Like I said before I don't moan everytime we lose.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:Why do we never win a home game that's not on a Saturday? :lol:.

Thought we did well first half, but struggled to break down Watford's 7 men on the line. It was frustrating, but it's what they came to do.
7 home games not on Saturday only 1 win and that was only 1-0 !!!!!!!!
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

just back

we're all too often seeing games where the players run their nuts off but we just seem to not quite spark.

faubert gave the ball away three times in the first five minutes and then when he missed the chance his head went down - I was in the STBL and could see he was staring at the ground avoiding eye contact with the players who tried to gee him up. his confidence looked shot all night and the chance he had in the second half looked like he just panicked and swung at it (not seen a replay so that may be harsh)

faubert and taylor tried to stay wide but rather than giving nolan and noble an outlet it left us losing second ball in the middle all game I thought

nothing that maynard tried came off tonight - but to be fair he had pretty crap service...baldock fared slightly better

crowd was edgy - booing at the subs was more directed at it not being faubert I thought (and based on the reaction in the STBL)

personally felt we could have introduced lansbury sooner - nolan was getting desperate for us to score (even before watford did) and was pushing further and further up and leaving noble with more to do

ref had short man syndrome and penalised cole pretty much as much as he could IMO

i know i'm biased but I felt we missed collison - two wide players was spreading our midfield too thinly

interestingly playing 4-4-2 we seemed to hoof the ball more than I'd noticed in the last five games or so.....
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Not at our best tonight , but even so we had at least 4 gilt edged opportunities in the first half to score .Had we taken any one of those we would have seen a different outcome .

I thought Kevin Nolans application , especially in the first half, was exceptional , whilst Nobes had a bit of a shocker for the first 20 minutes .Watford were determined not to give him time and space and it took a while for him to shake them off .

Second half we lost our shape a bit - the long delay caused us to lose concentration , we shipped a soft goal to their only chance on target all night , and we ended up chasing our tails .

Credit to the lads for getting a point at least , but no doubt Sam in his presser is bemoaning poor finishing costing us again , and he would be right .

My Motm would be Nolan for his first half display, the sponsors gave it to Tomkins .

One of those nights .
Major
%&!$
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 330 likes

Post by Major »

Well it clearly doesn't take much to annoy you does it

You "reactive sod"

:thup:
What is that smell???
EastEndIRON
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by EastEndIRON »

What is that smell???
:lol:
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

Just on the train nearing home. The good news from today is I should make last orders in the local Spoons. That is all I wanted to say
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

Second half we lost our shape a bit - the long delay caused us to lose concentration , we shipped a soft goal to their only chance on target all night , and we ended up chasing our tails .
...this is what the new "professional " set-up was supposed to eradicaTe. How the f*** did they get a sniff after the delay..we never settled, and then faubert ( was him, could have been anyone) fluffed a simple pass and for the next four ,minutes or so we're chasing shadows and didnt touch the ball- and they score- just like about every prermiership game I've seen at UP for the past however many years....as a team we just meandered around waiting for someone else to do something and BANG, goodnight.

The resources and talent in this squad is pretty poorly used, isnt it? Any idea what they do at training apart from "here's it comes lads...."

We are ****ing cursed. I tell you.
Trevor Montana

Post by Trevor Montana »

Sweeney Bod wrote:Just on the train nearing home. The good news from today is I should make last orders in the local Spoons. That is all I wanted to say
Praise Allah, that is good news :thup: