West Ham Utd 1 Watford 1 (07/03/2012)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Watford: match thread

Post by Denbighammer »

the pink palermo wrote:Either way , should be a regulation win by at least 7 (seven) clear goals I would think .
Amended that for you in line with your earlier prediction. :P
Tonto

Post by Tonto »

I cannot make my mind up on our best team or formation. We play better when we keep it tight and hit on the run like away from home and Maynard, Vaz Te and Baldock are perfect for that. Blackpool, Cardiff and Middlesbrough were great results. But at our place teams don,t have a go so it is harder to hit on the break which is really frustrating. Having said that we need to win 8 games and the only way to win is attack (or is it?)...so it's 442 (i think?) for the next two games with Maynard and Baldock up front. Then Cole can batter his way through if we struggle. We have two halves and two sets of strikers who do different things. If we play 433 they swamp midfield. Then the trouble with keeping it tight is teams can nick it like cardiff and ipswich did. We have to go all out attack and shout from start to finish....... 1-0 to us then (last minute)....sorted? That feels better!!?? God it's like getting married every bloody game.
kenthammer
Has liked: 245 likes
Total likes: 395 likes

Post by kenthammer »

Tonto wrote:I cannot make my mind up on our best team or formation.
youre BFS arent you :lol:
Last edited by bristolhammerfc on Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: long quote
Jackanakanory
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jackanakanory »

Managed to get a day off work and coming up from Pompey for this one.

Hoping we can give them a sound thrashing.
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

Good god.

What is it from Watford to Upton Park?

An hour on the tube?

Terrible turnout,
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

I'm missing this game to...wait for it....go to Mahiki :oops:
AJ
Location: Dreaming dreams, scheming schemes, building castles high

Post by AJ »

hawkins_hammer wrote:I'm missing this game to...wait for it....go to Mahiki :oops:
go shopping with the missus?
CockneyBoy7

Post by CockneyBoy7 »

Can someone please explain to me why Big Sam and all previous managers of WHUFC seem to see some potential in Collison, He is for definite our weakest link. I can't get my head around it why sam insists on starting him when we have lansbury on the bench who has all that flair, pace and a great footballing brain. Maybe it is just me but I really don't understand it. Anyway... Team for Watford,

Green,
o'brien, tompkins, faye, george mc
faubert, noble, nolan, taylor
cole, baldock

I agree with everyone that we need to start conserving players for the run in but with the whole pompey thing going on we need to start our best team and ensure every point possible and then conserve players when those say points are in the bag. Too me cole is the integral part of our plans right now as its proven in the previous two games that our others strikers look a lot more dangerous when they have cole supporting, holding up the ball and playing off of him. Long high balls to short players doesn't work.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

hawkins_hammer wrote:I'm missing this game to...wait for it....go to Mahiki :oops:
Work as a temporary traffic light?
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

CockneyBoy7 wrote:Can someone please explain to me why Big Sam and all previous managers of WHUFC seem to see some potential in Collison, He is for definite our weakest link. I can't get my head around it why sam insists on starting him when we have lansbury on the bench who has all that flair, pace and a great footballing brain.
Welocme to the site.

Collison and Lansbury both played on Sunday.

Cardiff were unable to play their normal game in midfield.

Game won.
Henry Wilt

Post by Henry Wilt »

the pink palermo wrote:I wonder if Sam may be tempted to give Nobes the evening off for this one ? He's been playing solidly since Saints away whilst the rest of the midfield have been getting periodic rests due to injuries and or suspensions .

Certainly be interesting to see what the rest of the side could do without him .
I was wondering this myself. The lad has absolutely runs his legs off in the last few games and if anyone deserves a night off I would think it would be him (although I don't think that he would want it) but I do think he would be sorely missed.
Czech Hammer
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Czech Hammer »

Chrissieboy wrote:Maybe time to try Baldock and Maynard together. They could be like Cottee and McAvennie. Certainly busy enough to put pressure on Watford and make life very tough for them.
Czech Hammer likes this :thup:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

Although I advocated the Maynard/Baldock attack myself, I suspect that Watford are going to go 10 men behind the ball, which might lend itself to big Barlton getting the nod? Big of presence in the box for the tried and testing lump the ball up to the big fella tactic (trademark).
Steelyhammer

Post by Steelyhammer »

Matt of iron wrote:Good god.

What is it from Watford to Upton Park?

An hour on the tube?

Terrible turnout,
Probably close to an hour which is nothing. Pony turnout and they'll leave getting an earful as per.
beckton

Post by beckton »

Wash your hair?
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

f*** me that is an awful turnout!
Czech Hammer
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Czech Hammer »

That's disgusting. You should be ashamed of yourself.
Gabers

Post by Gabers »

Id really like to see Baldock start and not a bad idea with Maynard. I felt on Sunday when Cole came on that we lost shape as we were too tempted to lump it into him

Maynard and Baldock could be busy bee's and would also help us keep the ball on the floor as we did so well against Cardiff when we knocked it around
libero
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by libero »

Two crucial home matches, 6 points at stake, the players have just had a week in the sun and an uplifting win against the kind of team we used to slip up against - great stuff all round

I think we should take advantage of all this and not rest players for these 2 matches, but concentrate on getting all 6 points.

The only change I'd certainly consider making would be replacing Maynard with Cole or Baldock, because, despite what a lot of people are saying on here, I think he wasn't good enough on Sunday - his finishing on those 3 golden near open goals was dire and I haven't seen anything yet that makes me think he's better than Baldock or Cole

Other than that, I'd keep the same team :crest:
Soton_Hammer

Post by Soton_Hammer »

Hopefully another 3 points! :thup:

I would stick with virtually the same team that played Cardiff, maybe take out Maynard and put Cole in though?

Matty Taylor is back and I would imagine Faubert would be fit. Would Reid be back and available?