West Ham Utd 1 Doncaster Rovers 1 (10/03/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Re: West Ham United Vs Doncaster Rovers: Match Thread

Post by taffhammer »

Hockley Hammer wrote:
It's what happens when players lose confidence and don't want the ball and nobody wants to take it off them. the further away from them the ball is the less chance they will make a mistake and let somebody else get the blame instead.

Blaming Sam is ridiculous, i've seen the same football played time and time again in the last two seasons as soon as the pressure kicks in. Good players will demand the ball, lesser players just want to get rid of it. The easiest way is to lump it 50 yards.
If the man in charge can't instill confidence in a team that is second in the table then who's fault is it ? Maybe the captain who leads by example on the pitch ? Maybe its our ,the crowds , fault for not getting behind a team when what we see infront of us is not exactly rip roaring football.One man gets the pat on the back when it goes well and then he should take the rap when it's not. But then again we are still second....funny old game.
maltab

Post by maltab »

Moving slightly away from the game - Diouf has got a lot of media coverage today with his comments that we should have signed him.He says Every club he has been to,he has had to win the fans around.The booing and hating just makes him play better,and makes him determined to do well for his club.
Others have said if it wasn,t for his reputation,he,d be in the Premiership.
After his performance on Saturday,has anyones oppinion of Diouf changed ?
Do we as fans have any regrets about not signing him ?
Were you impressed by his performance ?
Sauce!
Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.

Post by Sauce! »

maltab wrote:Moving slightly away from the game - Diouf has got a lot of media coverage today with his comments that we should have signed him.He says Every club he has been to,he has had to win the fans around.The booing and hating just makes him play better,and makes him determined to do well for his club.
He was man of the match imho, and he clearly loves being the pantomime villain. However, I was more impressed by our ability to hand them the game on a plate.

If we had signed him would we boo him any more than we do our current crop of "underachievers"?
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

taffhammer wrote:If the man in charge can't instill confidence in a team that is second in the table then who's fault is it ? Maybe the captain who leads by example on the pitch ? Maybe its our ,the crowds , fault for not getting behind a team when what we see infront of us is not exactly rip roaring football.One man gets the pat on the back when it goes well and then he should take the rap when it's not. But then again we are still second....funny old game.
I agree with you, there is an expectation level here that does add pressure, but I can't believe what I see when you see us lose control of a game that we should be comfortably winning again.

We go out full of confidence, you can see it. The way we started the Southampton game, the Watford game and Saturday. All three games we could have scored within a few minutes and settled the nerves.

Southampton we did but the sending off changed the game. Watford we paid for not scoring when we on top then Saturday we finally got the early goal, but seemed to just evaporate when Vaz Te went off.

It's amazing to think we are second when so many players have not reached any kind of consistent form three quarters of the way through the season.

I'm hoping the fact we have tougher games coming up is going to be the phsycological kick up the arse we need to press on.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

It wasnt all Route One.

Its Sams team, so their ineffectiveness is of course down to him but he is probably as disappointed as us that what looked "on paper" like "the best squad in the division" is coming up so short.

But it is ridiculous to keep trotting out the Hoofball cliche.Green rolled the ball out a fair bit... Lansbury,Collison,Noble and Nolan all had plenty of chances to stamp their authority, but looked inadequate.

It was the same under Pardew, in those"halycon days" nothing came from midfield.... most of Harewood and Zamora's goals came from their picking up scraps from long balls from defenders because of the lack of quality in midfield, at least we sometimes had a Sheringham to direct the ball toward the forwards.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2629 likes
Total likes: 1179 likes

Post by EvilC »

maltab wrote:Moving slightly away from the game - Diouf has got a lot of media coverage today with his comments that we should have signed him.He says Every club he has been to,he has had to win the fans around.The booing and hating just makes him play better,and makes him determined to do well for his club.
I don't think he won anyone round at Liverpool.

I have no regrets about not signing him - it was never to do with footballing ability.
Absentee Hammer

Post by Absentee Hammer »

EvilC wrote:
I don't think he won anyone round at Liverpool.

I have no regrets about not signing him - it was never to do with footballing ability.
Totally agree EvilC, he was/is a talented footballer, but the game is about a TEAM, not about a player.I would never want to see this excuse of a human in the beloved Claret N Blue of West Ham, you diss us, you spit at us, Screw you asshole
Jofwhufc

Post by Jofwhufc »

I honestly don't think he was that good. He was a main feature in all they did only because he took all free kicks and corners. He's was also captain which makes me think he is bigger than the club and thats why they were happy to have him.

He did seem to want to prove a point with his running etc but he was by no means spectacular. Was their most lively player but he is going to stand out when we are dire and lets face it Doncaster isn't exactly a team of superstars.

I still dont think if he wasn't such a C*** then he would be PL standard.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Jofwhufc wrote:I still dont think if he wasn't such a C*** then he would be PL standard.
There are far worse players than EHD playing week in week out in the Premiership
Jofwhufc

Post by Jofwhufc »

I'm suprised that if he is PL standard someone doesn't take a punt on him. Surely the 300 or so Wigan fans wouldn't kick up too much fuss if he had gone there
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

Jofwhufc wrote:I'm suprised that if he is PL standard someone doesn't take a punt on him. Surely the 300 or so Wigan fans wouldn't kick up too much fuss if he had gone there
One of the few areas Wigan are any good is in the wide positions.
stubbsy07

Post by stubbsy07 »

Another terrible performance form a handsomely paid yet massively overrated squad of players with a manager who's tactics go against all my footballing principles.

I hate West Ham at the moment. See you in Leeds.
Hatcham Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Hatcham Iron »

stubbsy07 wrote:Another terrible performance form a handsomely paid yet massively overrated squad of players with a manager who's tactics go against all my footballing principles.

I hate West Ham at the moment. See you in Leeds.
spot on stubbsy echoes how we all feel but we all will come back for more. its the west ham bug. Headbanger
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

Fk me that was hard going reading the last 20 odd pages......

For the first time, we had Ravel on the bench, we were struggling and could have brought him on for the last 20 minutes or so, who know's he could have won the game for us....Again, I have to ask why buy the kid if he's not going to be used, this was perfect for him to be introduced.
PrawnSandwich

Post by PrawnSandwich »

OzzHammer wrote: For the first time, we had Ravel on the bench, we were struggling and could have brought him on for the last 20 minutes or so, who know's he could have won the game for us....Again, I have to ask why buy the kid if he's not going to be used, this was perfect for him to be introduced.
So when Sullivan and Fat Sam said he was 'one for the future' and they were going to take time to get him settled and see where his head was at and we don't play him within two months of signing he's wasted?

Is the excitement because he's ex Manure - like Spector - or because he does a neat back heel on You Tube?
He has f*** all professional playing experience, yet the more he doesn't play for us the more Messi like he's becoming.
:lol:
Jofwhufc

Post by Jofwhufc »

I think what Ozz is saying is why not throw him on? We are playing Doncaster at home and we have no spark.

I'm not an Alardyce hater but I think that's just the way he is - rather see out the draw than lose the game. We all have opinions but I would have thrown Ravel on, may be that he gets used to the system and a little confidence so that next time we throw him on against Reading say, he can nick a goal and nick the game?

I know its all in a dream world but I just thought why not - we had no real reason not to as I think Donny were less likely to score when we were going at em' rather than throwing a defender on who looked completely lost TBH
PrawnSandwich

Post by PrawnSandwich »

Jofwhufc wrote:I think what Ozz is saying is why not throw him on? We are playing Doncaster at home and we have no spark.
I understand what he's saying but...
Jofwhufc wrote: gets used to the system and a little confidence
At home... with the impatient crowd who **** off players and boo when we're not winning...
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

PrawnSandwich wrote: At home... with the impatient crowd who **** off players and boo when we're not winning...

Do we? Or are you basing it on round about reports and listening on the radio?

Do people get fed up when we are playing **** football? Yes.
Do people get fed up when at home we let another lead go? Yes
Do people get fed up when we start really well, the place is bouncing then take our foot off the gas? Yes.

Now I don't for one minute condone the booing **** but the home crowd isn't as bad as many make out on here.
taffhammer

Post by taffhammer »

PrawnSandwich wrote: At home... with the impatient crowd who **** off players and boo when we're not winning...
I'd like to think given a choice of facing a small minority booing or sitting on the bench for the game he'd choose the latter or what the hell is he doing here.
taffhammer

Post by taffhammer »

Hockley Hammer wrote: It's amazing to think we are second when so many players have not reached any kind of consistent form three quarters of the way through the season.

I'm hoping the fact we have tougher games coming up is going to be the phsycological kick up the arse we need to press on.
I think they will but what worry's me is confidence is everything in football , which when still being second whilst not setting the world on fire you think we would have some at home. BFS has never been in a division where his team has been expected to win it, maybe it's a learning curve for him.