Leeds Utd 1 West Ham Utd 1 (17/03/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Re: Leeds United v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by richneal »

the pink palermo wrote: I am a touch surprised at the negativity on the thread generally as a point at Leeds is good in any season , it keeps us in touch , and well in with a shout .
A competitive game of football .
It's all about expectations though mate . . . 10 years ago if we had scraped a point up there with a minute to go we'd all be delirious.

Trouble is, a lot of us think that with our fan base and our squad (and their salaries), we should be waltzing thru' this division. Now, as anyone who reads my posts will know, I'm not BFS's biggest fan, but nicking a point up there under the circumstances was a job well done.

Having said that, a couple of things today stood out - Maynard didn't appear to do too well up front on his jack, but to be fair to the lad he didn't really appear to get the sort of service you'd expect/wish for. The second, related point was that although I thought Faye was brilliant in his tackling and marking, his frequent & speculative 45-yard punts forward leave a lot to be desired.
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by smuts »

richneal wrote: Having said that, a couple of things today stood out - Maynard didn't appear to do too well up front on his jack, but to be fair to the lad he didn't really appear to get the sort of service you'd expect/wish for.
That was my gripe....but not just based on yesterday....it's happening almost every game and the poor sod looks lost trying to hold the ball up on his own all the time.
Posh-Hammer

Post by Posh-Hammer »

Agree with Smuts and Richneal. No doubt on Tuesday we will see little Sam on the wing! This constant rotating of our strikers and playing them in the wrong positions and in hopeless circumstances on thier own is ridiculous. We need to sort out our front line and stick to it. Baldock and Maynard must be feeling very disillusioned and Scaloni is right, it is gutting to watch the same thing happening up front at each game. Big Sam needs to sort it out. We need to see our strikers scoring too! Everyone on here can see where our problems lie.
phil 64

Post by phil 64 »

Top day came out the station went round the corner into Yates stayed there for a couple of hours. Loads of west ham in there and fair to say Leeds aswell all good banter. After game was one of the last ones to leave the ground as I was in the top tier . Not a pleasant walk back to the station got lost. Had to go past plenty of shitty pubs full of inbreads .one with alot of police vans around it by a park. Looked as if it had kicked off big time . Got to respect the point up there . When we beat peterbrough next week things will look alot better coyi
droshky
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by droshky »

At least its not p*ssing down this morning! From the first ball sailing a foot over Maynard's head, Mrs Redknapp could've pointed out a flaw in the plan. Going thru Tompkins on the floor was starting to work in first half, but only if our scaredy cat fullbacks pushed up. Of course the 2nd half rethink didn't happen till it was time to bring Cole on, and by then Leeds looked more likely. Good fight back at the end, another 5 minutes and who knows? Great crowd, good 2nd half banter with them and later with gayboy and I thought the stewards and filth did ok. Even found a decent boozer in canal redeveloment, all Leeds bar us but no probs and, believe it or not, decent grub at the Midnight Bell, Water Lane. Surely we can win the next few??
MarshyWHU

Post by MarshyWHU »

frankiemac wrote: Top day out, in town early doors...where did all the west ham drink? We went oneills, had one there before moving off, walked in and out of a seriously moody wetherspoons, then the sports bar, foleys and the hop...barely saw a hammers fan at all before the match
Managed to eventually find Oneils at about midday, but bouncer turned us away cos we were West Ham, said there were about 150 of us in Yates back by the station so ended up in there. Was a good laugh, a few Leeds in there too but as it filled with West Ham they either ****ed off or got very quiet.
Major
%&!$
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Major »

Were you the bloke with the green jacket on, or the bloke in the ralph lauren beanie? Saw both of them take a few unnecessary digs, whole thing seemed totally uncalled for but that younger kid definitely threw a few swings at the OB. Stupid thing to do, but as usual the plod wade in way too heavy handed. **** em, COYI.

No mate my little incident happened outside a Pub on the way back to our B&B (which was a **** hole by the way, stupid cow has just woken us up abusing us for staying after 10, she's a funny old girl who is watching me write this and keeps slapping me round the head, the lads reckon she is being southernist!!, bet i don't get a runny egg now :lol: )

Better drag myself in the shower and get down the motorway then, my head hurts, far to old to do two night on the trot now!!!

Chin up people, we did ok yesterday
Chelmo Hammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Chelmo Hammer »

Sounded like a good point well earned. It keeps us within touching distance of Reading and Southampton who both have tricky looking away games on Tuesday, while we get another chance to put the home form right. Things will be looking better come 9.45 on Tuesday evening I reckon.

One thing that is really starting to get to me on here is those posters who continually have a pop at those who dare to try and look on the positive side of things – it is making this place a very unpleasant place to be at the moment.

The same people sit behind their key boards and make moronic, knee jerk reactions about every little long ball, miss placed pass and missed opportunity but then immediately clam up when we score.

It’s almost as if these ‘fans’ want us to lose every game, not get promoted and for Allerdyce to get sacked just so they can say they were right before starting all over again with the new man.

The same ‘fans’ will then tell you it is their right to express their opinions but then in the same sentence completely disregard every single other opinion that does not match theirs. UTJ and others were right to call them out, and some of their reactions to being called out only confirmed things.

All these things is why I find myself posting less and less here after 5 years of enjoying being a KUMBer.

Still, here’s to 8 matches unbeaten and getting back into the top 2 come Tuesday evening :crest:
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Chelmo Hammer wrote:All these things is why I find myself posting less and less here after 5 years of enjoying being a KUMBer.
Spot on with all of that... :thup:

It's awful.
waltham hammer

Post by waltham hammer »

Chelmo Hammer wrote:Still, here’s to 8 matches unbeaten and getting back into the top 2 come Tuesday evening
Well said mate. I will be there Tuesday night full of optimism again. I feel our luck has to change soon. We could easily have been four up in the first 20 mins against Doncaster. Saints have been very lucky in their last two away games. Could and should have lost both.
smuts

Post by smuts »

I imagine the plan is to have Tomkins sitting back and allowing Noble and Nolan to get up and support Maynard....however it just doesn't really work (although the first against Cardiff was a good example of it actually coming off) as the back four inevitably put it forward and the two CM's are still sitting deep helping out the defence.

What about Nolan right up front and tell Maynard to stay within 10 yards of him for Tuesday? Worth a punt or not?
smuts

Post by smuts »

waltham hammer wrote: Saints have been very lucky in their last two away games. Could and should have lost both.
Leeds ****ing battered them...they should have won it easily.

Soton's first pen was a joke, the Millwank defender was getting up the Soton player went over the top of him and the handball for the second.....what was the bloke doing? Headbanger
splott

Post by splott »

Keep Calm and Carry On Folks...BFS will see the light re hoofball in the run in,you see. The Old Bill seemed a bit excitable yesterday by all accounts. Maybe its because they are now being fat b..... by their own and they have got to get fit or they will get a pay cut !!!!
COYI,lets bash Boro on Tuesday night. :raver:
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1949 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Fortunately I miss most match threads because I'm normally at the game. Reading back over this one, you've got to wonder if there ain't one or two ringers in here on the wind up.

We can't affect what Soton or Reading do one iota, unless we play them. f*** them, we've just got to get as many points as we can and see where it takes us. How do their results affect our performance?

I like seasons where there's something to play for. These last 10 games and then maybe the play offs are going to be exciting and the Ongar Road posse are planning our sorties to Peterborough, Leicester and Burnley with a sense of anticipation.

Karren Brady is wrong when she says there are 300,000 West Ham fans. There's about 25,000 staunch ones, 10,000 day trippers, 10,000 exiles and about 255,000 armchairs who include some naff posters.
southendmadhammer

Post by southendmadhammer »

How many people saying that its all ok and we did alright are spending 150 quid to leeds and watching that?

seriously, we bought a quality striker in maynard and we are hoofing 50 yard balls up to him - he must be wondering why he moved here!

I never boo and support the team the whole game and sing my bollox off but its so depressing watching us trying to attack at the moment...we have to get more bodies involved in attacks otherwise i cant see us winning enough games to be promoted.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Our defense is a big plus for us. Their goal....a rebound of the crossbar is the most difficult to defend and we should excuse them for that.

Top marks Sam for bringing in Collins when it was apparent that we needed cover in that area. that has appeared a very astute move.

The rest of it? Well, I guess you need more than two windows, and no injuries, to produce a fully functioning team.He must be as frustrated as we are to see the midfield producing so little.

Best atmosphere/crowd I've seen for ages. Leeds deserve the Prem.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2483 likes
Total likes: 4383 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Doc H Ball wrote: We can't affect what Soton or Reading do one iota.....How do their results affect our performance?
They build pressure, and your state of mind when under pressure affects your performance and how well you do your job.

Knee jerk, panicky reactions happen on the pitch too (not yesterday though - thought we showed good composure to get the draw after going 0-1)
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Southend.There were plenty of opportunities for the midfield to show their qualities but there was not much on offer. It wasnt a defensive line up. Not many options other than route one I'm afraid. Cole caused more of a threat than Maynard, but perhaps he cant play 90 minutes for some reason?
Av it

Post by Av it »

Chelmo Hammer wrote:Still, here’s to 8 matches unbeaten and getting back into the top 2 come Tuesday evening
Spot on :thup:
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2024 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread.