West Ham Utd 1 Middlesbrough 1 (20/03/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Re: West Ham United v Middlesbrough: Match Thread

Post by Pop Robson »

midlifecrisis wrote:RE Mowbray interview.
final paragtaph

We have different aspirations but we both want to get promoted out of this league. I think West Ham are desperate to get up, I read in the program tonight that it's not an option not to get up is it, at this club? At Middlesbrough we're trying to build something, a foundation that we can put in place for a lot of years. If we do get up this year we would know that we're not quite ready - but you would have a great go at it.

Is that alright? Plenty of copy! Thank you, cheers

HOW BLOODY REFRESHING
So who said that in the programme ?
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

Up the Junction wrote:You've read the controversial parts already but here's Mowbray's presser in full:

http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=126108" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Always liked him and I thought his team played some nice stuff. :thup:
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

there seems to have been little written about matt taylors chance....i haven't seen it since but my thoughts at the time were that he should have scored and had a striker missed it Sam would be digging him out (and had it been collison posters would have been suggesting a bottling of the chance)...was it a more difficult chance than I thought?

For all of the talk from Sam about strikers not scoring enough, that chance and Fauberts against watford looked two of the easiest chances from the stands in recent times and both seemed to deflate the crowd through not converting them
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

hammer1975 wrote:there seems to have been little written about matt taylors chance....i haven't seen it since but my thoughts at the time were that he should have scored and had a striker missed it Sam would be digging him out (and had it been collison posters would have been suggesting a bottling of the chance)...was it a more difficult chance than I thought?

For all of the talk from Sam about strikers not scoring enough, that chance and Fauberts against watford looked two of the easiest chances from the stands in recent times and both seemed to deflate the crowd through not converting them
I agree, I've raised Taylor's miss on other threads as a bloody good chance. It wasn't completely straightforward but it was a good chance IMO and he should have scored.

I also raised the misses by Faubert v.Watford and Vaz te's disallowed goal against Donny as being bloody costly in so many ways.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

^^^^^^^

Or Piquionne's disallowed goal at Wolves !!!!

:lol:
m-h

Post by m-h »

Fwiw, thought Noble was absolutely brilliant. Was everywhere on the pitch, showing the passion, fight, willingness, energy, guts.
Shame a few around him didn't. Some of his tackles, you won't see better, even in the money league. It was almost like he was the only player who really wanted it yesterday, and i mean that, wanted it. A WIN.
MikeNewell'sOldBoys
Has liked: 2 likes

Post by MikeNewell'sOldBoys »

miami-hammer wrote:Fwiw, thought Noble was absolutely brilliant. Was everywhere on the pitch, showing the passion, fight, willingness, energy, guts.
Shame a few around him didn't. Some of his tackles, you won't see better, even in the money league. It was almost like he was the only player who really wanted it yesterday, and i mean that, wanted it. A WIN.
I thought he put in the effort, made some good tackles, closed down well but his distribution wasn't great. Often picked the wrong option or held onto the ball for too long.

Someone needs to tell him he to stop looking for the hollywood ball every time.
m-h

Post by m-h »

MikeNewell'sOldBoys wrote: option or held onto the ball for too long.

Someone needs to tell him he to stop looking for the hollywood ball every time.
Perhaps if somebody moved into space to receive that "Hollywood Ball" there's no doubt in my mind Noble would find it.

Reading back through this thread and everybody saying he slowed the game down, what a joke. Was the only one, trying to pick
the tempo up.

Shame we ain't a slick one touch passing team, give and go, because Noble would pull all the strings.
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

Gents,

Most of the negative posts on here are b*llocks.....we were held by two pieces of pure quality - nothing more.

We soaked up all their counter attacks and all their creativity on the ground when they had possession. Posters seem to be forgetting McCartney's brilliant header on the line......

Our players put in decent shifts however It was a scrappy game which both sides could have won very late on.

If Ogbeche's goal hadn't gone in, or their keeper hadn't pulled off a brilliant save against Tomkins header the posts on here would be completely different - so again - one quality finish and one briliant save was the difference - nothing more.

Tin hat.
Last edited by WoodgateHammer on Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

miami-hammer wrote:Fwiw, thought Noble was absolutely brilliant. Was everywhere on the pitch, showing the passion, fight, willingness, energy, guts.
-
Agreed, there were a couple towards the end, he slid in on one of them, won the ball and brought it out 30 or so yeards before passing.

Then another were he came in from behind on the left side, won the ball and appeared to shove the player over in the proces, but the ref didn't give it, so again he came away with the ball.

Two big tackles in the space of a few minutes to break up their attacks.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

OzzHammer wrote: If Ogbeche's goal hadn't gone in, the posts on here would be completely different - so again - one quality finish was the difference - nothing more.
yeah, but that's the point.
we should try not to be in a position where one quality finish will screw you up.

you go one up, and the first thing you do is taking off both your forwards and give away all the "momentum" you gained? really?!?

i don't say we should walk the league, but i'd like us to go at games, try and win them (i was of the same idea when we were battling for relegation). surely you'll get your ass kicked from time to time, but say three win and two losses are nearly twice as better than five draws. not to mention the fun.
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

warp wrote:yeah, but that's the point. we should try not to be in a position where one quality finish will screw you up.
-
I hear what you are saying, but also take into account their keepr was on fire with a couple of great saves....that's football.

It cracks me up that some people on here carry on like we have a devine right to walk this league..... Headbanger
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Ozz Rob Green had a blinder when, Saturday (as well as some other brilliant performances chucked in) so this "brilliant keeper" argument by BFS goes both ways.
MikeNewell'sOldBoys

miami-hammer wrote: Perhaps if somebody moved into space to receive that "Hollywood Ball" there's no doubt in my mind Noble would find it.

Reading back through this thread and everybody saying he slowed the game down, what a joke. Was the only one, trying to pick
the tempo up.

Shame we ain't a slick one touch passing team, give and go, because Noble would pull all the strings.
Agreed the movement was shocking from other players (Carlton's main weakness IMO) but I've thought that about Noble for a while now..

I think the best formation Noble plays in is a diamond with 3 very mobile players like the one Zola used with Collison, Behrami and Parker (see formation below). It could in theory work with Noble, Collison, Lansbury and Nolan with Bouba Diop and O'Neil as back ups but Allardyce seems set on getting the ball out wide for crosses into the box.

----------------Green-----------------
JOB-Tomkins-Faye-McCartney
-----------------Noble------------------
---Lansbury-------Collison--------
----------------Nolan-------------------
-----------Cole---Maynard-----------
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 916 likes
Total likes: 1918 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

hadleighhammer wrote:
Definitely from my left at the back of the STBL. We were saying what a load of old b*llocks it was and was the complete opposite of what we needed.

Not saying I can't understand the frustration. Last night was **** and, like those supporters singing PDC's name, I pin that on BFS and his "4-3-3" :thdn:
Are there any season ticket holders in there HH? Sometimes we don't even have those seats.
torrensvillehammer

Post by torrensvillehammer »

Oz hammer fan here, ccould someone please explain to me why you call part of the ground "Chav's Corner" please
MikeNewell'sOldBoys

torrensvillehammer wrote:Oz hammer fan here, ccould someone please explain to me why you call part of the ground "Chav's Corner" please
it's the corner between the West Stand and the Trevor Brooking Lower where all the chavs sit :lol:
thal

Post by thal »

torrensvillehammer wrote:Oz hammer fan here, ccould someone please explain to me why you call part of the ground "Chav's Corner" please
It's the corner of the ground where the Chavs sit mate. Or at least that's what it's perceived to be. The closest thing we have to Chavs out here are Bogans. But whilst I'd say a bogan is someone recognised as being uneducated and from a lower class, a chav is a burberry/sports clothes wearing, gangster wannabe that thinks they're well hard innit.
MikeNewell'sOldBoys

thal wrote: It's the corner of the ground where the Chavs sit mate. Or at least that's what it's perceived to be. The closest thing we have to Chavs out here are Bogans. But whilst I'd say a bogan is someone recognised as being uneducated and from a lower class, a chav is a burberry/sports clothes wearing, gangster wannabe that thinks they're well hard innit.
Never heard anyone been called a bogan!
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Radio interview with Mowbray on BBC website saying our goal was offside