West Ham Utd 1 Middlesbrough 1 (20/03/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

durham city hammer

Re: West Ham United v Middlesbrough: Match Thread

Post by durham city hammer »

Unless Faubert and Vaz Te are due back imminently i think Allardyce needs to take a punt on one or two of the kids ie Morrison, Montano or Hall or take a punt on a loan from somewhere, the lack of width, pace, guile, urgency is shocking and it's going to cost us if something doesn't change, give these lads a chance cos they can't be any worse than the options we are currently using, we urgently need to speed up our play, feel sorry fo Baldock, he's the only one who shows any kind of urgency when he plays, he also looks the most likely of any of our strikers to grab a goal, something needs to change if we are to go up, is he too stubborn to change it though???
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Romford wrote:Sad that the Journo's don't ask the questions that people want to hear the answers of.
I was itching to ask why he persisted with Tomkins as a fifth defender when we needed a goal ... or why Maynard was predominantly employed out of position on the right ... or why he took both strikers off the minute we scored a goal.

Not that easy though mate ... if you did, chances are you wouldn't get invited back.

I know this won't matter to many but I saw a different side to Allardyce last night. It was the first time I've seen him look - and sound - genuinely troubled.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

warp wrote:
i'm not sure, at times i think he's only after excuses, some other times i think he genuinely thinks he never made a mistake in his life!
When I saw the teamsheet for last night, I immediately wondered if Maynard was going to partner Cole up front or if he was going to be stuck out at right mid. Thinking that only one of these options could make any sense, I reserved judgment and expected to see a pleasant surprise of Cole and Maynard up front.

Match started and it was clear to see that Maynard was indeed plonked out on the right. Never in my life would I have thought that Nicky Maynard is a midfielder, let alone a RM. Or even a winger, if that is what Allardyce had intended it to be (Maynard certainly didn't play like a winger last night). It was a baffling square peg in a round hole. If Maynard was rated at 75 on fifa, moving him to RM would drop him down to about 56. Maybe Big Sam needs a quick game of fifa 12 to remind himself of his own squads best positions. :thup:

But what bothered me the most is the message that playing Maynard out on the right conveyed. We had Lansbury and Ravel on the bench, both midfielders, and both Allardyce signings, that if I am applying the common sense idea of the best player at the position will play the position... well apparently, Nicky Maynard is a better RM/RW than Lansbury or Morrison.

What exactly was the point of signing Lansbury or Ravel if an out and out striker is a better option out on the right of midfield?
Last edited by Aztec Hammer on Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Up the Junction wrote: I know this won't matter to many but I saw a different side to Allardyce last night. It was the first time I've seen him look - and sound - genuinely troubled.
That was my take on the interviews I saw and heard .

I've posted somewhere on the board today in 8 months he has gone from being as Cocky as Harry to as nervous as Roeder .

He's under massive pressure , and it's showing .

The players will smell the fear , and everyone heard the chant of "we want di canio" from Chav corner last night - it was a devastating chant , a real dagger through the heart .

We're third .
GeorgeParris'Pet

Post by GeorgeParris'Pet »

Up the Junction wrote: I know this won't matter to many but I saw a different side to Allardyce last night. It was the first time I've seen him look - and sound - genuinely troubled.
It's worrying to me that it's taken until last night for him to realise he has major problems.

Or perhaps, he has, the difference is now he is cracking and showing he is troubled...
GeorgeParris'Pet

the pink palermo wrote:and everyone heard the chant of "we want di canio" from Chav corner last night - it was a devastating chant , a real dagger through the heart .
Not sure why - his name has rung out from the stands plenty of times of already this season.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Aztec Hammer wrote:Did you see the Sky Sports interview after the game too?

Mentioned it twice in the space of about 10 seconds.
Just watched it now. It's essentially the same comment that - Baldock could have won it at the end with a header. He doesn't even say he should have scored.

He's not happy in that interview, but he's not digging the players out either!!! I thought it was quite funny

Managers don't generally come out and admit their mistakes...unless they are McCarthy and AVB in recent weeks. He's seems to be focusing on the positives, on how we could have won, rather than how we could have lost. Not gonna knock the manager for being positive in a press conference.

And lets face it if he was dwelling on the negatives he'd be a KUMB regular and not a manager!! :lol:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

GeorgeParris'Pet wrote: Not sure why - his name has rung out from the stands plenty of times of already this season.
There's a world of difference between a chant of "Paolo di canio" - saluting a former popular player , and "we want di Canio" , an implied desire to see the current Manager get the chop .

Unless of course Chav corner were merely commenting that PdC would improve Sams options , even in his forties ......
GeorgeParris'Pet

the pink palermo wrote:There's a world of difference between a chant of "Paolo di canio" - saluting a former popular player , and "we want di Canio" , an implied desire to see the current Manager get the chop .
Even Allardyce isn't stupid enough to think the PdC chants this season have been just salutes to a former player.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

GeorgeParris'Pet wrote: Even Allardyce isn't stupid enough to think the PdC chants this season have been just salutes to a former player.
I wouldn't know George , but tell me why the chant has been changed if the meaning is the same .
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Up the Junction wrote:I know this won't matter to many but I saw a different side to Allardyce last night. It was the first time I've seen him look - and sound - genuinely troubled.
It's an interesting point this and one I touched on last night. I don't think he is 'troubled', I think he was absolutely livid that we had given away a lead when he had set us up to close the game down and not for the first time recently.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

hammerdivone wrote:I think he was absolutely livid...
He definitely wasn't livid in the press conference I attended.
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

The Moth wrote:Just watched his sky sports post match interview....how embarrassing. The blokes a complete tool, imo.
I havn't seen it but if he was digging out Baldock then it's a bit naughty and bang out of order in my opinion, considering he only gave him 5 ****ing minutes how can he expect him to score in 5 minutes when the ball is being torpedoed at him in the air.
midlifecrisis

Post by midlifecrisis »

Felt sorry for him strangely, must be going soft . He came across a bit unbalaced .
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

It was always going to be tough for Allardyce to win over everyone here.

1. The type of football that is played when Allardyce is boss.

It really is long ball, percentage stuff, there's no denying that. And then we've always liked to think of ourselves as playing the right way, ball on the ground, pass and move stuff. There's the first clash.

2. Allardyce takes control at a time when an ex-West Ham legend starts his management career and gets off to an incredible start.

Let's be honest, imagine both Allardyce and Di Canio were exactly the same manager. They'd get the same results, play the same style of football that we love etc... who would we rather have if we had the choice? There's always going to be fans looking at what Di Canio is doing with Swindon and then thinking about what it would be like to have one of our own at the helm. Allardyce being from where he is from and sounding the way he does doesn't help the case much. Does he really understand us and what we're about? I have to say, personally, it ****'s me off the way he has given it the large about the 'West Ham way' in interviews.

He has pretty much put himself on a pedestal with his cockiness. If we get promoted, he looks like that England manager he has always wanted to be, making predictions and proving them right. If we don't get promoted, he looks a proper helmet.

Let's hope it's the former.
Faded & Dead

Post by Faded & Dead »

midlifecrisis wrote:Felt sorry for him strangely, must be going soft . He came across a bit unbalaced .
I felt the same, regardless of how I feel about his tactics etc etc, only because I don't revel in seeing a man down. UTJ and PP are spot on, somethings changed now... And "We Want Di Canio" made me shudder. A dagger indeed.
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

We Want Di Canio
Made me shudder as well if I'm honest, at the moment I'm feeling very uninspired by the football I've seen at UP but won't call for another manager, although if we go up I can really see us struggling playing how we are.
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

The "we want Di Canio" chants last night were ridiculous. Yeah it was a poor performance but if we win the game in hand we climb to second.

| was in the STB lower and couldn't tell how many people were shouting it - 20? 50? 100? Allardyce must have heard it , not sure how clear it came out on the Sky coverage though.

There is a long way to go and we can still go up, surely calls for a new manager should wait until the end of the season when the dust can settle and we know what league we're in.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Up the Junction wrote: I was itching to ask why he persisted with Tomkins as a fifth defender when we needed a goal ... or why Maynard was predominantly employed out of position on the right ... or why he took both strikers off the minute we scored a goal.

Not that easy though mate ... if you did, chances are you wouldn't get invited back.

I know this won't matter to many but I saw a different side to Allardyce last night. It was the first time I've seen him look - and sound - genuinely troubled.
Mate...its not you who should be doing it. I'm fully aware his ego wouldn't be able to handle a question from a proper fan...and you wouldn't be invited back.

Its the first time i've actually thought there might be a chance for a new face funnily enough.

27k with all the offers on screamed loud and clear what the fans think of the situation.

Sadly...i'm not surprised at all about our run at home. This has been coming all season...and all those who made out "how can you moan..we are top of league" are the guilty ones that have allowed this chump to play like he has.
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Faded & Dead wrote:
I felt the same, regardless of how I feel about his tactics etc etc, only because I don't revel in seeing a man down. UTJ and PP are spot on, somethings changed now... And "We Want Di Canio" made me shudder. A dagger indeed.
In life, it is often quite natural for someone to crave something that they don't currently have. It's that natural response of the grass always being greener on the other side. Of course that isn't always the case.

For me, if you are truly a special manager, you are able to make the fans forget that there are other managers out there. As much as I dislike him, if Man Utd lose a few games in a row or even go on a bad run, you can guarantee that hardly anyone thinks about any alternatives to Fergie.

If Allardyce is truly worth is salt, he'll prove it and put us on a winning run to end the season, making all the naysayers and PDC chanters look like idiots. If he doesn't do that, then maybe he shouldn't be our manager, and maybe Paolo should. Who knows right now? We owe him until the end of the season before we can truly judge him one way or another.

I hope we win the final 9 or 10 games, whatever it is, and win the league. It'd make me feel like a bit of a fool for doubting him, but I'd quite easily deal with that if it meant we were Champions.