West Ham Utd 1 Middlesbrough 1 (20/03/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Romford
Big X

Re: West Ham United v Middlesbrough: Match Thread

Post by Romford »

Roby wrote:The "we want Di Canio" chants last night were ridiculous. Yeah it was a poor performance but if we win the game in hand we climb to second.

| was in the STB lower and couldn't tell how many people were shouting it - 20? 50? 100? Allardyce must have heard it , not sure how clear it came out on the Sky coverage though.

There is a long way to go and we can still go up, surely calls for a new manager should wait until the end of the season when the dust can settle and we know what league we're in.
But the papering over the huge gaps all season doesn't fall anyone does it ?

We have been staggering cowardly/negative at home all season......

Anyone who has half a brain cell can see that we need 2 goals in a home match.

Was that team yesterday ever going to do that ???

I personally think we were very lucky to get one.

We are extremely lucky still to be in with a shout of promotion....but with the managers ego and his obvious inability to change, we all know what the formation will be to the end.

What a total waste Headbanger
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Aztec Hammer wrote:
In life, it is often quite natural for someone to crave something that they don't currently have. It's that natural response of the grass always being greener on the other side. Of course that isn't always the case.

For me, if you are truly a special manager, you are able to make the fans forget that there are other managers out there. As much as I dislike him, if Man Utd lose a few games in a row or even go on a bad run, you can guarantee that hardly anyone thinks about any alternatives to Fergie.

If Allardyce is truly worth is salt, he'll prove it and put us on a winning run to end the season, making all the naysayers and PDC chanters look like idiots. If he doesn't do that, then maybe he shouldn't be our manager, and maybe Paolo should. Who knows right now? We owe him until the end of the season before we can truly judge him one way or another.

I hope we win the final 9 or 10 games, whatever it is, and win the league. It'd make me feel like a bit of a fool for doubting him, but I'd quite easily deal with that if it meant we were Champions.
We don't owe this fella anything...he is on huge earnings and we are playing not to lose with a defender in midfield and a striker out wide.

Its him that owes the fans of this club that we haven't given him a harder time for mugging off our traditions, ignoring his promises and lying to all and sundry about formations..

As for winning 9-10 games....i'll have a pint of what you've had fella :thup:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Romford wrote: We don't owe this fella anything...he is on huge earnings and we are playing not to lose with a defender in midfield and a striker out wide.
Whilst all of that may be true , it may be worth pointing out that of all of our full time Managers , which seems to be an ever increasing number these days , Allardyce , for all his cautioness has the highest win percentage of the lot .
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

Romford wrote: But the papering over the huge gaps all season doesn't fall anyone does it ?

We have been staggering cowardly/negative at home all season......

Anyone who has half a brain cell can see that we need 2 goals in a home match.

Was that team yesterday ever going to do that ???

I personally think we were very lucky to get one.

We are extremely lucky still to be in with a shout of promotion....but with the managers ego and his obvious inability to change, we all know what the formation will be to the end.

What a total waste Headbanger
bingo! He's afraid to change it. I couldn't believe what he said at the weekend before the Leeds game. Something along the lines of "we have to play this way to grind out results". What a coward! And he justified it by saying Man city and Man U weren't playing pretty football to get results. absolutely laughable.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

the pink palermo wrote: Whilst all of that may be true , it may be worth pointing out that of all of our full time Managers , which seems to be an ever increasing number these days , Allardyce , for all his cautioness has the highest win percentage of the lot .
Helps when we're playing in the Fizzy Pop though.
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

Ironically i actually think that if he was playing the tactics he is currently deploying in the premier league he would recieve less critisism as it would match expectations more readily. The problem is there is a real danger that we might not attain that goal due to the predictable and conservative nature of his game plan.

The 2 goal reference by chas is so obvious and I genuinely knew when he made the substitutions he did that we would reduce our offensive threat and draw on a potential equaliser.

I really feel for Baldock and Maynard who must wonder why they had been purchased for a team whose coach has little intention of utilising their key assets and style of play.
AJ
Location: Dreaming dreams, scheming schemes, building castles high

Post by AJ »

I take it Vaz Te, Faubert, O'Neil are all unfit as thats why we had Maynard on the wing?

Or can Ravel play right wing?

I think we have been unlucky with injuries but you only ever gain momentum with a settled first 11.

Problem is Sam does not know his best 11 and if he does the players he wants are not fit, or out of form?

You would say his ideal formation is 4-1-4-1, being Green, Demel, Tomkins, Faye, McCartney, Diop, Noble, Nolan, Taylor, Vaz Te, then either Maynard or Cole

Yesterday he tried to keep the same formation but use different players to fill the slots, which people will say is a no no, and you should choose your formation based on the best 11 fit, not putting square pegs in round holes.

All our strikers seem low on confidence and maybe its due to the public bashing or is it due to the poor service from midfield?

Probably covered but we set out far too defensive and had far too little creativity and pace, if a game needed Ravel and he has the talent he should have played a large chunk of the match, and thats what we need in home games, creativity, helps get the fans off their seats and encourage the team, instead of operating like we are away from home at the Boleyn Ground. Problem is if Ravel cant play right wing then Nolan needs to be pushed up front to accomodate him. We so need someone to take the ball and run with it at the opposition defence.

Hope Vaz Te returns soon then or Ravel can play right wing and Sam has the balls to play him, what we should have gone for last night in hindsight:

LW: Taylor
CM: Noble
CM: Collison
RW: Vaz Te / Ravel / O'Neil / Faubert
AM: Nolan
CF: Maynard
Last edited by AJ on Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

the pink palermo wrote: Whilst all of that may be true , it may be worth pointing out that of all of our full time Managers , which seems to be an ever increasing number these days , Allardyce , for all his cautioness has the highest win percentage of the lot .
I bet Curbs will be up there too ?

You know where you can stick your stats mate :wink:

In this league, with these players....even Roeder and Grant would have pi$$ed it by now.
steptoe61

Post by steptoe61 »

Not that im interested in percentages but his draw percentage must be pretty high eh ?
Devs Hampton
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Devs Hampton »

Just got in and found Sam's email in my inbox -ffs what a lot of complete drivel. Got to the point where I really dont want to hear it any more of his totally unrealistic match analysis , marked it as spam! :crest: TID and TAA
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

the pink palermo wrote: Unless of course Chav corner were merely commenting that PdC would improve Sams options , even in his forties ......
Can I just say it weren't from the Chav Corner, but the STBL.
steptoe61

Post by steptoe61 »

I think a trained chimp would have pissed it by now
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Aztec Hammer wrote: Helps when we're playing in the Fizzy Pop though.
Probably .One or two of his predeccessors undoubtedly saw their win % boosted by spells in division 2 as well , which ought to highlight the real issue , that being, it's been a very very long time since the Boleyn faithful saw both winning and entertaining football in the top flight .
I share the view with many he is overly cautious , I also believe the jury to be out on a few of his signings , but I cannot argue with the fact we are third in the table , have won more away games in a season than we have done for 20 years , and are only 3 wins short of matching our best home wins record for a decade .For all the talk of his budget , a fair chunk of it will be getting consumed by Ilunga ( prior to release) , Faubert , Piquionne, Barerra......only one of whom is getting picked by him .

But fear not , following promotion , an under invested squad will be getting battered in the opening dozen games next season , and the panic button will be hit .
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

hadleighhammer wrote: Can I just say it weren't from the Chav Corner, but the STBL.
Apologies to anyone I've misrepresented there :thup:
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

hadleighhammer wrote: Can I just say it weren't from the Chav Corner, but the STBL.
I was sat in the BML and it came from my left - I thought it was Chav Corner as well, but might well have been the Rio!
Last edited by Doc H Ball on Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

What i must add...I think the away performance at Blackpool was the best i've seen from a West Ham team in 20 years.

I'm not a Nolan hater....but it does seem odd that our best run was when he was out suspended.

We need to find a place for Nolan (because he wont be dropped) but also get some width into the team.

That means leaving the defensive midfielder out...

I already know the answer to that Headbanger
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

the pink palermo wrote:
Apologies to anyone I've misrepresented there :thup:
Can I just say that i had a pair of Oliver Sweeneys on yesterday...and they are defo not chav.

I totally disagree with that name for the fine people in the corner
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

the pink palermo wrote: But fear not , following promotion , an under invested squad will be getting battered in the opening dozen games next season , and the panic button will be hit .
I personally don't want him to get the sack but just change his style of play,not blame the fans and play players where they play best. The funny thing is we are all talking about promotion this promotion that but that is far from certain.I'd rather have the points than a game in hand and we are letting Southampton,who tried their best to make it easy for us in december, pull away from us. Thats a worry.
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

Last night reminded me of when we played boro at home in 1989, a poor boro turned up and did a number on us, sealed our fate in a way for relegation that year. Last night boro did the same to us and in away possibly sealed our fate with the playoffs, which isn't a bad thing. Except we'd still be stuck with him. It would be easy to say Sack Him, especially as I've never wanted him and will never support HIM. He's a stain on this club but let's face it unless we don't go up we're stuck with him. Catch 22 for me, I want us up but not with BFS in charge and if we go up I can't see him leaving.
What summed him up perfectly was his substitution at 1-0 of cole and Maynard for Carew and collinson. Only can be seen as negative, which of course is what he has brought to this club.
I blame Gold n Sullivan, they knew back in jan last year the fans woudnt suffer him so surely they knew that if things went Badly then the fans would turn on him,
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

mywhufc wrote:Last night reminded me of when we played boro at home in 1989, a poor boro turned up and did a number on us, sealed our fate in a way for relegation that year.
A late Bernie Slaven brace? Seem to remember something about him sitting naked in a Boro shop window as a result?