West Ham Utd 1 Middlesbrough 1 (20/03/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Re: West Ham United v Middlesbrough: Match Thread

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Morocco Mole wrote:
In his quieter moments tonight I think Sam will regret the double substitution. It handed Boro the initiative in a game which up until then we completely controlled, but these things happen and we are in a better position tonight than we were this morning so it's all good.
Without actually creating many clear cut chances we were not bad. Launching balls into the box only came at the end to no real good effect, I thought we knocked the ball round looking to pass rather than hoof. But I got annoyed at times with the lack of players showing for the ball.

But, as you say, I couldn't believe the substitution - we finally get the goal, shall we pile on the pressure and look for number two? No, lets put on Carew and try to hang on to one-nil. As has been proved several times this season, this team can't hang onto a one goal lead. I was sort of pleased when we signed Carew as I thought his experience would help, but he has proved to be shot with no movement and his control seems to have deserted him.

Though we gained a point on Reading I would not describe it as all good, they lost away - we drew at home in a game we largely controlled. When analysing any result you don't just compare points to other teams you have to look at the whole picture, based on that I describe the result as "ok" and not disasterous. But in context of the last few home draws it puts worrying doubts in players and fans minds.

I haven't seen the BFS rant against fans yet so I'll reserve judgement, but he has to take a share of the blame for failing to nail the win.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Hampshire Hammer wrote:
Though we gained a point on Reading I would not describe it as all good, they lost away - we drew at home in a game we largely controlled. When analysing any result you don't just compare points to other teams you have to look at the whole picture,
In that case you should be taking into context the fact that Boro have the second best away record in the league, behind only us..

& Reading lost to a team that only had 28 points before last night.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

A very stretched and fragmented game. We struggled to hold onto possession despite Boro not really playing great and seemed to snatch at every half chance rather than work a proper opportunity.

The goal was a gift to be fair, but we didn't build on it. On came Carew and Collison to hold onto the lead, but rather than tighten up in the middle and stifle Boro and play on the break we seemed to maintain our stretched formation. There was more than one occasion before their goal when they broke and outnumbered us at the back.

Their goal was a great strike, but he had much too much space and I could see it going in even before he struck it. Time to control it, turn to face, set it onto his left and spank it into the bottom corner.

Five home draws in a row at a time when we can ill afford them. At least Reading lost.
CBHammer

Post by CBHammer »

Sorry if already posted, haven't trwaled through previous psots yet! But how predictable are we becoming? No Plan B! Just knock a long ball forward. We will knock about 3-4 sideways/backwards passes, then hoof! There's not even an angle on most the long balls forward making it easy to defend. Teams don't neccsarily have to defend well against us, just have to concentrate, and stand up. To be honest, I thought Allardyce, would have been the difference for us going up this year! Thought there would be no more square pegs in round holes! Maynard on the right...Oh dear!

In the interview with Sky it sounds like he's having a small dig at Baldock for missing a header towards the end... If I wasn't annoyed after the football, driving to work John Cross is on talk sport havign a swipe at us fans!!
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Hampshire Hammer wrote:
Though we gained a point on Reading I would not describe it as all good, they lost away - we drew at home in a game we largely controlled. When analysing any result you don't just compare points to other teams you have to look at the whole picture,
Bobby Orangeboom wrote: In that case you should be taking into context the fact that Boro have the second best away record in the league, behind only us..

& Reading lost to a team that only had 28 points before last night.
All true, but I was responding to the words "all good". I still think that, given the way we had largely controlled the game and restricted their attacks, we should have held on for the win. The reason we didn't hold on to the win is that we handed the initiative to them with the double substitution, not the fans but the managers decision.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2625 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

I'm struggling to see how people are defending last night's performance. It is fine to have the odd one of these in isolation, but this is on top of a sequence of **** results at home, accompanied by **** performances.

We have far to many one-paced players in the side, and in general we simply don't move - and because we don't move, passing is hard. We were IMO lucky to take the lead last night - and once again, we took the lead, and failed to shut up shop. Given the chances they had at the end, we could easily have lost. The substitutions totally destroyed any shape that the side had.

We had five players on the bench last night that all play in midfield or up front. We played for over an hour, bereft of any ideas, yet the manager didn't attempt to change it. Why?

To me Tomkins doesn't have the required touch to play in midfield, but I can see why he is picked there given our current options. I'd like to see one of our strikers given a run of games (preferably Maynard), instead of people being in and out of the side.

I'm hoping the re-introduction of Vaz Te might give us some additional width.

End of rant.
CBHammer

Post by CBHammer »

Also, the subs were the difference last night!

The game was calling for some creativity! I would have liked to have seen Ravel, bit of the unknown, our players have said how quick his feet are in training I believe, and Boro players wouldn't have known anything. Then we score... I said to my borther, no chance he'll get on now! But to bring on CAREW!! When was the last time he played? And played well?
southendmadhammer

Post by southendmadhammer »

Post-boro thoughts:

1, How can anyone say Noble was our best player last night? He looked knackered from about 30 mins onwards and spent most of the game passing to them - twice would have cost us a goal against most teams. He slows our play down so much and he less said about his free kicks and corners the better.

2. Its sad to see Allardyce alienating our fan base. I havent particualrly enjoyed coming this season as much as I thought. Our style is horrible to watch and I find myself as frustrated as I was at times with Grant last season.

3. The worse thing for me is seeing Maynard (who has scored goals for fun in this division) being played so deep - what is he going to do there!

4. I have supported Carlton ever since he signed but honestly, he really is poor.
winchy33
Location: 2nd turn on the right. If you reach the river you've gone too far

Post by winchy33 »

Agree with pretty much everyone, as tactically it was poor

Maynard is not a winger, and all our main attacks (that weren't punted down the centre) came from McCartney and Taylor linking up. Thought Faye was very strong again, Nolan was non-existent. So many times Noble/Tomkins even Faye at one point had the ball unchallenged in the centre and we're standing there trying to pick out a pass, wondering whether to play it short, or punt it long, usually opting for the latter

Got to remember though we've gained a point on Reading. Yes it was 2 points dropped, but Reading missed the chance to pull clear too. 2 points behind, 1 in hand. If we're gonna moan at least wait until the outcome of the Reading game, that we should be really fired up for. It was poor, but we're in with a great shout still. Would hate to see the reaction on here if we were doing a Leicester . . .
Paulo Wanchope

Post by Paulo Wanchope »

Did you see that moment when Cole when to ground holding his face?

The ball had bounced on his head.

What a ****.
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

...the grim humour of being a west ham football fan always shines through , doesnt it...

"FINALLY.." I shouted out, as Green chose not to hoof his goal-kick, rather to pass to his centre-back Collins last night

" Its only 'cos Collins can kick it further..." came a witty response from three rows back.

Cue Collins wange-ing in the general direction of aura borealis, sirius or was it arcturus? Who knows, its was a lump into the unknown.

Welcome to West Ham, 2012 :?
Hockley Hammer
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

The substitutions last night showed up our problems with our front six yet again.

There was a case for taking any of them off - none of them were playing well. They all had the odd moment but none of them was the focal point of our play. Nolan played a few very good passes but then disappeared for periods, Cole did some good link up play but never threatened their goal. Maynard looked lost as did Tomkins going forward. Taylor had the odd moment and poor old Noble had a nightmare, but fair play to him for keeping going. Noble needed support last night and got none.

Baldock for Maynard was the obvious change, but it can't be doing Maynard's confidence any good. The poor sod looks totally lost on the field.

The Tomkins experiment has to stop unless it is for a defensive reason, that makes sense against a big side who are strong in the air and at set pieces.

Yet again the defending by our centre halves was the only performances that stood out - unbelievable.
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by Marky »

I guess how you see the club at the moment depends on whether you are in the Romford camp or the Major camp.
Me, I am with Romford. This is the worst team I have seen in 15 years. Worse than Pardew's in the Champ and I was at most of the games at that time.
Sam just doesnt get the club with his tactics and team selection. Gold for me does get the club and I know he wont be happy. If we dont go up he will be probably be sacked. What gets me though is the arrogance he has to wards the fans telling us we have outplayed everyone when we havent.
dundeeiron

Post by dundeeiron »

A very disappointing display all round. No real incisive penetration. Nobody seems able to take on a man and beat him with genuine pace then provide the killer pass which could finish off the opposition. As the game went on the ball must have been "black and blue" the number of times it it was blootered in to the box. Are there no "Devonshires" around in the lower divisions any more? I also can't get round why he wants to continue using Carew for anything. He contributed very little and surely Baldock with a bit of pace would have been better introduced at that time rather than the cumbersome Carew.

It also seems that most of the creativity is supposed to come through Noble but I can't see that happening. Can't fault him for effort but not creative enough.

When we have to rely almost entirely on our full backs putting in crosses from out wide then something is wrong with our set up and it is patently clear that the "flair" which we have been known for in the past has been completely eroded. I may be wrong but a "luxury" player would not go amiss just now as we seem to work hard enough but with little end result to show for much effort.

Or alternatively.......are we just not good enough :think:

Oh...I forgot BFS.....Tomkins is not a midfielder!!!
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

When I arrived home early morning I was that sick I did not want to post, what a lame excuse! those who blame the Boo Boys for the points we are dropping! I will never Boo our players, but the cost of tickets these days I understand how frustrated some maybe!

Some feel there is only one explanation except the Truth! which is it is down to Sam's team selections, his tactics and substitutions, don't you think that maybe what makes the players as nervy! to go 1-0 up at home and then bring on Carew is beyond me, other Managers must be so aware of what Sam will do and have faith there is nothing lost in attacking.

We can't go on like this, I am doubtful now we will get the automatic promotional spot and then if we have to win the play-offs it will
be a Lottery as again other teams will know they can beat us and they will have nothing to lose!

Cole is such a nice guy but he is simply not coming up with the goods and I am unsure he will ever do it again he is not fit and has no confidence.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

I just don't understand the logic to sign players then not play them in proper positions, Baldock who was going well before and his injury and Maynard, why sign a striker to put them on the wing, why not just a sign a winger.

Also I partly understand the Tomkins at DM but stick him at CB he is a CB, we have the players on the bench and even in the reserves to do a job playing CM at this level, O'Neil, Lansbury, Nolan, Noble, Collison can all play there or even change the tactics and go two up top and don't play a DM at home.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

Whilst I'm not anti-Sam in the slightest, it was slightly concerning that he persevered with Tomkins in the middle for the 90 when it was simply just a waste of a position. He must have seen we were effectively playing a man light with Tomkins simply unwilling to get his foot on the ball.

On the other hand, I actually think we looked better after the subs. On the night, Collison for Maynard wasn't a midfielder for a forward, it was a right mid for a right mid and I felt Collison looked more comfortable there. Carew wasn't particularly effective but nor had Cole been for the previous hour odd.

I thought after the subs we actually built a few strong attacks, which we'd struggled to prior to our somewhat fortunate goal.
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

James P wrote: Collison for Maynard wasn't a midfielder for a forward, it was a right mid for a right mid and I felt Collison looked more comfortable there. Carew wasn't particularly effective but nor had Cole been for the previous hour odd.

Maynard though looked so frustrated last night, Carew was utter rubbish though, why not bring Baldock on when he is looking about our most effective striker at present and what does he get 5 minutes each time! Sam is starting to look clueless, has he lost the plot?
Hockley Hammer
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Marky wrote: This is the worst team I have seen in 15 years. .
Really? It may well be one of the most frustrating and disappointing sides I have watched here over the years, given the players we have and the league we are in, but to compare to the last two seasons where we meekly rolled over against nearly every team we played when it mattered, where we couldn't hold a two goal lead against nearly anybody I find very strange.

Nothing will ever be as bad as last season, although the season before came close.
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

Haven't read the rest but my thoughts:

First half we were using the width passing alot and Maynard and Cole were making some brilliant moves on the last line of defence, it was a shame Cole's final touch, or his late reactions let him down many times last night.

The fans in the first half were brilliant singing for pretty much the whole half, when we play football the fans get behind the team. Towards the end though it wen't back into Allardyce's way of football and that followed through for the second half which obviously infuriated the fans.

I took the PDC chant as a laugh, do you all really want PDC as manager? He's not had a full season at Swindon and I wouldn't want him to ruin his status at the club if he has a **** season with us. No thanks.