West Ham Utd 1 Middlesbrough 1 (20/03/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Re: West Ham United v Middlesbrough: Match Thread

Post by Pop Robson »

Paulo Wanchope wrote:Did you see that moment when Cole when to ground holding his face?

The ball had bounced on his head.

What a ****.
Or when he thought it should have been a corner after it hit him when he fell over again

Or his attempt with the header that he seemed to duck trying to head it

Carlton 'Comedy' Cole (very nice bloke though)

BFS did a Tommy Cooper impersonation on 40mins too !!

If you didn't laugh sometimes you'd cry, seen it all before over the yrs
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

Why is Noble still getting pelters? He gets the ball, he takes more responsibility then Nolan, all he wants to do is pass it forward, it's not really his fault if he has a centre half next to him and Nolan who is an absolute weasel. The boy has no options, Taylor doesn't show, other then a long punt to Cole his other options are the full backs.
As for CC he is best when he has a strike partner, a willing runner to create space for others! Carlton has never been a success as a lone striker.
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

kitthehammer wrote:I was actually more disappointed in collison coming on for maynard than carew coming on for cole.
I have yet to see what collison brings to us and if he was going to replace anyone it should have been noble who was having a shocker.
Carew did more than cole, baldock would have done more than maynard had he been given longer and as others have said, maynard looks totally lost.
What is it about our managers that they insist on playing strikers out on the wing?
But it has to be said, it is the players that should have rustled up a second goal during the mid 2nd half spell. We know we will let one in so we have to score two. I blame both the manager and players.
All of the defence had a good game but we seem to say that most seasons despite letting goals in.
Its all down to the strikers not sticking it in the net with ample opportunity to do so.
Some good points. I don't rate Collison. Not sure what he brings to the team. He just looks like an average player to me.

Maynard does look isolated. He toils away but not sure he gets the type of service that he needs.

I think the experiment of playing Tomkins needs to end - how long can you play your best(maybe second best) defender out of position for?
jacko

Post by jacko »

simon1982 wrote:Why is Noble still getting pelters? He gets the ball, he takes more responsibility then Nolan, all he wants to do is pass it forward, it's not really his fault if he has a centre half next to him and Nolan who is an absolute weasel. The boy has no options, Taylor doesn't show, other then a long punt to Cole his other options are the full backs.
As for CC he is best when he has a strike partner, a willing runner to create space for others! Carlton has never been a success as a lone striker.
Agree with you about CC. He plays well with someone up there.

I didn't think Noble has a stinker but I would prefer him not to be taking our free kicks. Does anyone ever fancy him to score them?

and why don't we ever score last minute winners!? we just seem incapable of doing it.
Pop Robson

Post by Pop Robson »

simon1982 wrote:Why is Noble still getting pelters? He gets the ball, he takes more responsibility then Nolan, all he wants to do is pass it forward, it's not really his fault if he has a centre half next to him and Nolan who is an absolute weasel. The boy has no options, Taylor doesn't show, other then a long punt to Cole his other options are the full backs.
Noble was knackered by the end, like a one man midfield last night. No wonder he made a few slip ups
jacko

Post by jacko »

Geordie Hammer wrote:Last night, BFS reminded me of Roeder. "This is my way of doing things....we'll keep doing it because it will come right eventually"
He has definitely adopted the seige mentality. He seemed petulant in the interview with the sky reporter. He must know that they aren't playing well. We have no fluency - a sure sign of zero confidence.
jacko

Post by jacko »

Pop Robson wrote:
Cole was knackered by the end, like a one man striker last night. No wonder he made a few slip ups
Edited it for you.
Pop Robson

Post by Pop Robson »

Thanks

We all now after yrs of watching that Cole ain't going to do it up front on he own

It's all down to BFS tatics, he moaned about the strikers not scoring. So he signs 2 more and plays them mainly on the wing.
Last edited by bristolhammerfc on Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed quotes
PrawnSandwich

Post by PrawnSandwich »

Noble's freekicks are terrible.
Was crying out for Taylor to take one and when it finally happened he stuffed it straight into the wall.

Summed up last night for me really.

Poor overall - I couldn't believe we were so slow.
Lacking in width, pace, creativity and desire.

Still a game in hand and the possibility of finishing in automatic promotion so not all lost.
I just feel for the Season Ticket holders.
Syphalis

Post by Syphalis »

poor performance on the whole....the reason we are not scoring goals is simple........lack of creativity in midfield. We have no real old fashioned wingers with pace and the ability to beat a man, all our midfielders seem to be of the same genre, good passing players but lacking any real pace or desire to push on into the box. The amount of time we won the ball in midfield then the player with the ball looks up to find the rest of midfield walking alongside or behind him was a joke. I dont like the system BFS plays, we crowd the midfield but dont dominate games effectively as the player up front is too often isolated so the ball just gets pinged back.
I feel for Maynard cos I think there is a decent player in there just not getting the service and when he finally does get 1 chance he is snatching at it a bit. We need wingers, Faubert has pace but cannot beat a man or cross the ball and then who else can play wide ? We are just playing central midfielders in the wide positions therefore giving us a pedestrian midfield. We are just very lucky Reading lost last night otherwise the play offs would be beckoning for sure.
Tarbs
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Tarbs »

What I ****ing can not stand is being told how I should feel about performances.

I have come out of the last 10 or so games angry at the lack of effort, enthusiasm, and desire. These are things that the players have to get from somewhere and they cant blame the fans again for poor support or a bad atmosphere, its not the fans responsiblity to get you motivated.

For the last 6 years we have watched ****ing dross, millionaires strolling around not giving a f***.

Its over 12 hrs later and my blood is still ****ing boiling, usually I calm down by the time I get halfway home and look to the positives but I just cant stomach it any more.
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

One up front with his back to goal for most of the game and another forward the chairman probably made him buy in the transfer window playing in the wrong posistion is why we didn't win.I don't see the point in Booing but understand the frustration when paying good money to be entertained or get results.
Stop blaming the crowd BFS, i'm in it and take offence.Who picks the team and decides the tatics ? the buck stops there.
jacko

Post by jacko »

I thought the players looked committed. I don't think work rate was the issue.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

jacko wrote:I thought the players looked committed. I don't think work rate was the issue.
The players are putting in plenty of effort and care but are just being instructed wrong.
Canadianhammer

Post by Canadianhammer »

Work rate was good but.....laboured. Every move they make is telegraphed making it easy to defend against.

My take in three words....... Slow......unimaginative........predictable

Why don't we give the young lad from Man U a try?.... can't do any worse surely.
BlowingBubbles

Post by BlowingBubbles »

"There was a lot of good football played though, people are ignoring that and are only looking at the result. When opposition teams come here they make it very hard for us to play our game, in the second half we did much better.
"Some of the great play will be forgotten due to the fact the final ball was missing. We have to learn how to find a clean sheet because at the moment we are struggling to score more than one goal a game, not maybe so much away from home but certainly here."

This is from the website this morning, an interview with Sam. It completely sums up how bad his management is at the moment. Firstly, I'd like to say that 'our' game is actually 'your' game, if you change it, maybe these teams won't be able to pick up points at our place as our predictability will be lost.

Secondly, great play isn't great play unless it has an attack behind it. Teams like Middlesbrough who will happily take a point against us away from home will let us play 'great' football in our own half because simply it means we ain't gona score, we're clueless.

Thirdly, Sam's mentality and lack of a clue is summed up by the last thing he says 'We have to learn to find a clean sheet'. Do you think there would be any other manager in the country who looks at the matches that we're drawing, conceding one single goal and saying actually we need a clean sheet, never mind the fact we're only scoring one goal. I don't understand it. He is basically saying that this week in training, we'll practice defending. Our defenders are playing well Sam, please put Cole, Baldock (to a lesser extent) Maynard 12,15,20 yards from goal, let them have some shots, do some routines, but the last thing you should be doing this week is practicing defending. That goal by Ogbeche was unstoppable, no fault of any individual. It's impossible to stop every shot during the course of the match, if one go's in, we make sure we score two. Do the basic defending fair enough, but there's going to be times when players of this quality work themselves a yard and hit an unstoppable shot into the corner of the net.

Just please concentrate mainly on attacking and shooting for one week. It might help.
BMLGirl
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by BMLGirl »

jacko wrote:I thought the players looked committed. I don't think work rate was the issue.
Not my impression. Oh well, if they are then it must be Sam telling them to stroll around the pitch, to not look to get into space, to not move to make passes possible. At one point in the first half, Green was doing his nut at pretty much everyone coz he wanted to release the ball early and everyone was just strolling away from our goal area. Pretty fed up with it tbh. Knew it wasn't going to be pretty under Allardyce, but didn't expect it to be this bad!
Last edited by BMLGirl on Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4294 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

simon1982 wrote:Why is Noble still getting pelters? He gets the ball, he takes more responsibility....
The issue with Noble is more "what is his role?" What exactly are we expecting from him on the pitch?

Overall last night, he did alright. He worked hard, threw himself into (and won) several tackles. He only got caught in possession or gave it away 5 or 6 times in total, which is a small proportion of his time in possession

But all this getting on the ball seemed to be in the middle third or on top of our centre backs. None of it led to anything much.

Letting him shoot from set plays when Taylor is on the pitch is....a bit bemusing - though his delivery for Tomkins header was sweet.

I'd much rather see him in possession 30 yards from their goal, than ours. This deep lying stuff is cods.
Geordie Hammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Geordie Hammer »

Can it also be stated that CC needs a slap. The way he went down like he'd been shot when the ball tapped him in the face was embarrassing! Considering what we had seen on saturday night, I think his actions were disgusting!
steptoe61

Post by steptoe61 »

Geordie Hammer wrote:Can it also be stated that CC needs a slap. The way he went down like he'd been shot when the ball tapped him in the face was embarrassing! Considering what we had seen on saturday night, I think his actions were disgusting!
Perhaps he will mention said incident in one of his "hilarious" tweets