Peterborough Utd 0 West Ham Utd 2 (27/03/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

lukeWHU

Re: Peterborough United v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by lukeWHU »

Major wrote:Whatever the actual words were last night make no mistake it was sung to have a go at our current manager and that is plain wrong in my book.
I agree the intention behind the song. Much of what was sung was directed at Sam.

I don't agree bobby and bonds don't get mentioned. Both were sung for last night and do at most away games. Not sure how many away games you have been to this year, but ivebeen to most and all of PDC, BM and BB get sung for on a regular basis. Trev doesn't in all fairness.

Hear what you are saying about PDC, but he has probably been our best player in the last 20-25 years, so he will always have his supporters (particularly among those who don't remember/ too young for the other legends).
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

What a game and a great atmosphere from all our travelling fans, it is backing like that which can carry our Team and Players and lift them, we need it for 90 minutes plus on Saturday non stop.

Still get frustrated with Sam and his one upfront, will he ever learn or is it True? you can't teach an Old Dog! new tricks? Vaz made such a difference last night, his work ethic and energy should be bottled! as for Carlton, I know many think nothing should ever be said about him but he is a liability we have been carrying him for far too long!

Onwards now to Saturday we have got to Nail this one, Sam Please forget you one trick only format and look at video and see how Reading can be Beaten!
roblo
Has liked: 152 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by roblo »

Kitt the car wrote:Nolan's backheel would have been a brilliant goal!
:thdn: we play on the floor.
Major
%&!$
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by Major »

I agree the intention behind the song. Much of what was sung was directed at Sam.

I don't agree bobby and bonds don't get mentioned. Both were sung for last night and do at most away games. Not sure how many away games you have been to this year, but ivebeen to most and all of PDC, BM and BB get sung for on a regular basis. Trev doesn't in all fairness.

Hear what you are saying about PDC, but he has probably been our best player in the last 20-25 years, so he will always have his supporters (particularly among those who don't remember/ too young for the other legends).
Im older than i thought then and I've gone deaf!!

Ive been to most this year and seriously cannot remember the other songs, can't even remember them last night!!

Senile old **** :lol:
marcushammer

Post by marcushammer »

vmixture wrote:Tonight...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cheers V mixture class video , my head even makes an appearance :lol:

Great atmosphere behind the goal loved it
V-M
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

We had a verse of six foot two, eyes of blue and a couple of rounds of Billy Bonds claret and blue army at the back. Surprised you didn't hear the Bobby Moore song, I thought the whole end were singing that one!
V-M
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

marcushammer wrote:Cheers V mixture class video , my head even makes an appearance :lol:

Great atmosphere behind the goal loved it
Took a few but that was the best, proper atmosphere and that was a good 15 mins before kick off. Used top love getting in the ground early to soak up the atmosphere, doesn't happen anymore with all seating.
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

Woken up this morning to find a gash on my chin, my voice ****ed and my finger ****ed.

Do I care?

Do I f***!

Best away night ever.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

So Major, do you not like the Dailly and Miklosko songs that were sung last night? :eh:
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

Men will hold their manhood's cheap that they were not at P'boro 0 West Ham 2

Now that i've been on the terraces I look forward to being a lecturing, moany old patronising sod like the rest of you lot have been on here for years. 8-)

The game itself, other than the opening fifteen minutes of 'stick it up their end and dont concede under any circumstances' football we dominated. In the first half it was the same old problems of a lacking final ball and gifting them opportunities against the run of player. However, two huge saves from Green aside we were comfy all game.

As for the songs, right or wrong, it shows that the club can ignore us during the week but not on match days and I enjoyed how the "we play on the floor" went from command/reminder to a declaration of what we were witnessing.

Don't want to mention too many individual performances as it was a good team game, but people that single out Cole after the shift he put in last night need to get a life. As for O'Neill, I thought he was toilet but after he scored he turned into Xavi with lots of nice on-two touch passing with Noble and Nolan that killed off the game. As for Taylor I thought that was his best game in ages, although he still suffers from everyotherpassisamisplacedoneitis.

"sign up greeno sign up greeno sign up"
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

hawkins_hammer wrote:Mepeople that single out Cole after the shift he put in last night need to get a life.
Say what? He was utter gash :lol:

That said, I agree with you about O'Neill. Got brushed off the ball so easily throughout, scores a goal and turns into a great player.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

HammerMan

Cole wasn't gash.

His movement and running was very good and brought others in to play.
Yes, overall he wasn't brilliant and was guilty of some errors - as usual! - but that shouldn't take away from what was a decent enough target man performance.

Been waiting 18 years for last night. Was ****ing sensational.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Major wrote:i have just spent 20 minutes reading this thread with my coffee..

what a bunch of bell ends there really are on here, its ******* hilarious!!! fickle? its not even that good!!

The crowd were every loud last night, just absolutely gutted about the PDC chants, i thought our away fans were more classy than that. I was wrong. Play on the floor is fair enough and much preferable to booing which i didnt hear a hint of last night, we played well 2nd half but looked nervous for the first half hour, Julian made a big difference, for me he has been missed latley and should start for Reading. Nolan was very good last night as well, with a bit more confidence we are capable of playing decent football even under Sam as we showed in the second half.

All in all a great night just wish some of our crowd were a bit more grounded and realistic and stop all this b*llocks about Paolo, a. he is a **** and largely untested, b. its plain wrong calling for another manager when we can still win the ******* league, c. we have had more than enough managers over the last few years and should stick with one.

I still predict we will win the league by 3-4 points.
Agreed, I have reminded myself of why I avoid match threads whether I can't make the game or when I come back; just sometimes check the last few pages for the sensible posters who have been to the game. People slagging off players and formations based on the radio or the match thread only FFS.

The trouble with the PDC chant is that a few months ago it was just remembering an old star, now it is putting pressure on BFS and the board - which won't result in any change in manager all the while we are still in contention - so it is negative. The play on the floor chants are valid as a reminder, and second half we did - there was some good incisive football as well as possession football once the game was won.

First half the team weren't bad, there was some good movement and we were trying to get behind their defence to cross. Vaz Te in particular taking people on and trying things, and McCartney and Taylor linking up well.

Cracking night out and a good performance from the team and fans.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:
Been waiting 18 years for last night. Was ******* sensational.
I was trying to work out when I last stood. The Chicken Run's Last Stand circa '95?
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

Major wrote:i have just spent 20 minutes reading this thread with my coffee..

what a bunch of bell ends there really are on here, its ******* hilarious!!! fickle? its not even that good!!

The crowd were every loud last night, just absolutely gutted about the PDC chants, i thought our away fans were more classy than that. I was wrong. Play on the floor is fair enough and much preferable to booing which i didnt hear a hint of last night, we played well 2nd half but looked nervous for the first half hour, Julian made a big difference, for me he has been missed latley and should start for Reading. Nolan was very good last night as well, with a bit more confidence we are capable of playing decent football even under Sam as we showed in the second half.

All in all a great night just wish some of our crowd were a bit more grounded and realistic and stop all this b*llocks about Paolo, a. he is a **** and largely untested, b. its plain wrong calling for another manager when we can still win the ******* league, c. we have had more than enough managers over the last few years and should stick with one.

I still predict we will win the league by 3-4 points.
Not sure about winning the league major but i'm with you on the rest of what you've said. Carlton is crap at the moment, it's a confidence thing, i've seen Owen, Shearer, Henry and plenty of others go through it - just look at Torres. And before some idiot says i am, I'm not comparing Carlton with their attributes or skill. I am just saying he is a striker and as soon as he gets one in off his arse or something, we'll start seeing the best of him again. Ii didn't see Peterborough fans slating their strikers for not scoring. As you say....many fickle fans on here though.
Cambs Iron
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Cambs Iron »

Strange how peoples views differ. I thought Vaz Te first half was pretty poor, wasn't beating his man, struggled to trap the ball and he did come across as a sulker but thats just his personality. He did put one cracking cross in and second half he looked alot better. Maybe a few weeks out he needed 45 mins to get back into it. His header was quality. Vaz Te and Faubert worked alot better than Vaz Te and O'Brien.

Cole i thought ran and closed the ball down well but lacked any end product when on the ball.

Taylor and George work very well together. Not Georges biggest fan but i thought he was brilliant last night.

Noble, Nolan and O'Neil were all pretty quiet first half last night, all seemed to pick up the pace after the first half.

We made the second half look easy, BFS got it spot on last night IMO.

Atmosphere :thup:

Songs about Di Canio, 'we play on the floor' etc.... i didn't join in.
AMC1964

Post by AMC1964 »

great away day, one of many this season. However....

I totally agree with the Major on the daft chants for PDC, singing about christian (f#######) dailly etc, but worse of all...Hands up who were the total knobbers who were singing "let him die, let him die" when a player went down at the far end in the first half? come on?

you idiots. After the Muamba incident recently, you should know bloody better, and it gets worse..it was one of our own players you mugs. hope you are feeling suitably stupid today.

Other than that, tremendous support throughout, and great banter with the seats..lol.
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

Also...I've been to three away games this season and seen us win all three by a combined score of 7-nil!
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote: His movement and running was very good and brought others in to play.
Yes, overall he wasn't brilliant and was guilty of some errors - as usual! - but that shouldn't take away from what was a decent enough target man performance.
His second half performance was better than his first because of the football we played. His hold up way was poor. Lost count the number of times he received the ball, tried to spin the defender and just got completely out-muscled. I think I counted two headers won over the course of the game?

Also, my view wasn't great but at one point did we not hit the bar in the second half, the ball fell to Cole around the corner of the six yard box and he literally just stood in the area with the ball at his feet for what seemed like an eternity before losing it and settling for a corner?

Pretty sure he should've scored a left footed shot in the second half but I'm not sure of his angle because of the view from the other end.

What's football without differing opinions eh? I think you're deluded :wink:
rare as rockinghorse shat wrote: Was ******* sensational.
Agreed.
phil 64

Post by phil 64 »

Making the change and bringing Faubert on to link with Vaz Te was the telling factor to the game i know Faubert isn't everyones cup of tea but he's a 100 % er . Even in the 1st half Vaz Te was getting on the ball if we keep off his back i think he could become a very good player for us, and he scores . All in all a good night for us apart from that Charter pub barge thingy what a dump .Ran out of larger on there biggest day of the year shocking. One more thing we went for an indian before leaving to get home forgot where we left the car all the car parks looked the same that would have pissed me off if we had lost :crest: