West Ham Utd 2 Reading 4 (31/03/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

the oldham stripper
Duke Nuke 'em
Location: for 25 years I've lived with fear. i sometimes wish I'd never met her

Re: West Ham United v Reading: Match Thread

Post by the oldham stripper »

wizzo_66 wrote:Re Jason Roberts - the promotion push under Pardew - we were their promotion rivals, beat them at their place. But he always seems to score against us, likes getting one over on us. Was the same at Blackburn.

Given the importance of the game, it was understandable that he would be right up for it.

don't they all :(
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:
I can't tell with the penalty.
It was right in front of us in the BML and it looked like Hunt went down easily, but also that Faye went in to him quite clumsily.
From the replay, it showed pretty much the same thing; that there was contact, but Hunt definitely made the most of it.
I'd say if it was a penalty - which could have gone either way - then it was quite a relatively soft one.
Seeing it again I think you can see why it was given. It looked like a lunge and if there was any contact then it's a penalty. To be honest I thought it was a goal anyway.

Agree with you about Baldock for the 4th goal - absolutely shocking - he didn't even look where he was playing it, and then jogged forward.

Four pieces of poor play - four goals conceded. The difference between us and Reading and Southampton. Both those sides generally punish the opposition not let them off the hook.
Romford Iron

Post by Romford Iron »

Adrian Durham yesterday said it was the most stonewall penalty you're ever likely to see, and the goal wasn't offside, he froze it and he was level. On that basis we should be praising the officials rather than be bad losers :lol:
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Romford Iron wrote:Adrian Durham
:lol:
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Well, he was correct about the offside anyway.

Go Adrian!
Romford Iron

Post by Romford Iron »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Well, he was correct about the offside anyway.

Go Adrian!
:lol:
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:I'd say if it was a penalty - which could have gone either way - then it was quite a relatively soft one.
Hockley Hammer wrote:Seeing it again I think you can see why it was given. It looked like a lunge and if there was any contact then it's a penalty.
When I first saw it, and for the first few replays, I was convinced there was no absolutely contact at all. I wasn't looking hard enough, or for long enough, as the contact came after the challenge.

Faye lunged after the ball, his foot almost attempting a stamp to reach it. Throughout the entire movement of his leg, when he was reaching for the ball, all the way through to when his foot stamps into the ground, having failed to reach the ball, there was no contact with the Reading player.
Then, after Faye's foot was firmly planted in the ground, the Reading player ran into his stationary foot and fell to the ground.
It wasn't like Faye's momentum took him into the player, so although his foot didn't catch him, his body carried on into the player, either
But the Reading player made sure his run took him into Faye, made sure his foot tangled with Faye's, so when he flung himself to the ground there had been contact.

Very much a case of a player looking for the penalty, and the ref falling for it. It happens a lot, the likes of Torres is a master... wait for the challenge to come in, and make sure there's contact, before performing the "fall"

I thought Foy was appalling all game, on so many levels, but I guess worse refs than him have fallen for the make sure there's contact trick. And whilst I thought there were question marks about a few of their goals, I felt the penalty was the most obvious example of the officials not getting it right, and was a major turning point in the game
Gabers

Post by Gabers »

Ive looked at that 4th goal about 30 times now and he was offside! at least 1 yard
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

But they scored straight afterwards because Kebe smashed it in the net, so if the penalty wasn't given we would have been 1-3 down anyway. Our shambolic defending coupled with Allardyce's ridiculous substitution were the main turning points in the game imo...
sjb958
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by sjb958 »

Turns to Stone wrote:I must admit, I've never really got the leaving early thing. I know that we're not renowned for comebacks, but there's always the chance that you might be the bloke that missed 3 goals in 45 seconds to see us bury Reading.
When have we EVER scored 2 late goals? In fact when was the last time we scored any late goals - say after 85 mins to win a game? I honestly can't remember....
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by smuts »

Hines against Villa....didn't Noble score a winning pen against Liverpool in the 93rd minute?

Gabers wrote:Ive looked at that 4th goal about 30 times now and he was offside! at least 1 yard

Level
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Turns to Stone wrote:I must admit, I've never really got the leaving early thing. I know that we're not renowned for comebacks, but there's always the chance that you might be the bloke that missed 3 goals in 45 seconds to see us bury Reading.
sjb958 wrote: When have we EVER scored 2 late goals?
Come on sjb958, it's like in the nightclub when you're on the pull......the chances of pulling an absolute stunner might be low, but if you go home, it's never going to happen!

Having said that, I once went to a game in Leicester with my Dad on our way back from a Summer Holiday in 1994.

When we left with 10 minutes left it was 2-1 to Leicester City. Final Score - Leicester City 4 - 3 Southamton.

We missed 4 f***ing goals. As he said on the drive home whilst listening to Sports Report "At least we beat the traffic!"
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I reckon "you can see daylight" between the attacker;s upper body and the defender.

Offside !!!!

:wink:
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

The BBC hate us so probably edited the image.

Handball!
Turns to Stone

Post by Turns to Stone »

This is somehow going to work it's way back to the Piquionne handball against Wolves last season isn't it!

Turns to Stone wrote:This is somehow going to work it's way back to the Piquionne handball against Wolves last season isn't it!
If Dan113213131 or whatever the number is, has something to do with it! :D
Turns to Stone

Post by Turns to Stone »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote: If Dan113213131 or whatever the number is, has something to do with it! :D
Probably still conducting experiments in his back garden as to how Mark Clattenburg could have actually seen the movement of Piquionne's arm.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 838 likes

Post by mushy »

bubbles1966 wrote:The pattern has been there since day one of the season. We can play at a high tempo for maybe close to one half of a game.

If the opposition hang in there, a combination of inferior conditioning and our now suspect state of mind, will allow the opposition back into the game. (away from home we can play more defensively so it doesn't impact)

We didn't really dominate them for 40 minutes - we did for about 20 - then after that they started to claw their way back into it - Hunt could, and probably should, have equalised on about 22-23 minutes.

Kebe had the beating of our left - and Roberts used his experience to stop playing on Faye and go up against Tomkins, at which point he became a 100% more effective.

For all the talk of us being worse second half, the reality is both halves finished 1-2 and we conceded goals from sloppy square balls 25-30 yards from goal in both halves, whilst Faubert was exposed defensively in both halves.

In the second half we were chasing the game and inevitably became a bit more ragged... yet still scored, and Maynard's chance was the clearest one created all day.
Which is more or less what we did to Peterboro on Tues, let them huff and puff and run themselves ragged, then take full advantage.
Sam claims this is a tactic they employ.Not sure how you adapt this at home though when the crowd are baying for early blood.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDet ... 93,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (featuring "gripping video" from behind the scenes)

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/Gallery ... 83,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wouldn't be surprised if this match ended up on DVD in their club shop.