Barnsley 0 West Ham Utd 4 (06/04/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Re: Barnsley v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by HammerMan2004 »

w4hammer wrote:A more dejected fellow than Sam B walking off to the tunnel at the end you wouldnt want to see- must be seeing his future crumbling as there doesnt seem to be a role for him.
Must've seen a different manager than the one I watched. Big Sam was applauding and fist pumping the crowd as he walked off? :eh:
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1300 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Yes, Barnsley were poor, but we'd have beaten better sides that them today. The movement and style of football was terrific today.
I like Carlton but is it a coincidence that our best three footballing performances (Blackpool, Cardiff and today) in the last two months have all featured Maynard as the lone front man? I'm not so sure- I think his inclusion means we are inclined to play it on the ground more. Vaz Te helps that style and fluidity of movement- he has a stature about him on the ball and has quickly become our main man.

Our fans have understandably been getting nervous about the play-offs but I honestly think that other teams will be more wary about us than we are of them- I know the counter-arguments but we ARE hard to beat at home and teams have to respect our ability to go to away grounds and consistently come away with a win. Not that i've given up hope of automatic promotion yet- teams can easily choke when the prize is in sight. Reading seem on an absolutely mission unfortunately, but Saints have been top two all season and it'll be interesting to see how they react to Reading going above them and us halving the gap. We need to beat Brum and keep the pressure on and see if someone else bottles it. With that in mind- play up Pompey!
WHU_Del
Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Post by WHU_Del »

w4hammer wrote:A more dejected fellow than Sam B walking off to the tunnel at the end you wouldnt want to see- must be seeing his future crumbling as there doesnt seem to be a role for him.
HammerMan2004 wrote:
Must've seen a different manager than the one I watched. Big Sam was applauding and fist pumping the crowd as he walked off? :eh:
Guessing that Sam B is Sammy Baldock?
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

My mistake. Tired and booze. :lol:
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

A match thread of only 28 pages? We didn't lose then......... :lol:
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

delbert wrote:A match thread of only 28 pages? We didn't lose then......... :lol:
Exactly. Reading game had 72 pages, funny that.
m-h

Post by m-h »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:
Exactly. Reading game had 72 pages, funny that.
Billed as "Showdown Saturday" by the club wasn't it.................

Today was Barnsley.........no disrepect intended or meant.

Not saying we out of it, still all to play for.
Milesey

Post by Milesey »

Ironz wrote:Great result. Thought you might appreciate a bit more conga.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

COYI
And since we only have 28 pages, here's some more conga " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Perhaps people have less to say when things are going well!
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

HammerMan2004 wrote:My mistake. Tired and booze. :lol:

aye- was baldock i was referring to!
I am Legend
Has liked: 1550 likes
Total likes: 1622 likes

Post by I am Legend »

Yeah when we win then all os ok and we go off and enjoy the rest of the day like life is fine.

lose and it ruins everything, we have to vent, so come here.

Great game today, loved seeing Maynard, Nolan, O'Neill, Vaz chasing down everyone for like 60 mins, was incredible work rate and forced them into errors. And nice to see BFS took my advice on small quick passing in triangles.

Maynards goal was my fav, great build up, slightly similar if not so grand as the Cole goal vs wigan.

Now this is West ham, bring on 3-0 loss to Birmingham after Pompey beat southampton...
m-h

Post by m-h »

I am Legend wrote:
Now this is West ham, bring on 3-0 loss to Birmingham after Pompey beat southampton...
We're done with choking. We're back and those above should be worried. Noble's goal, ****ing brilliant.
I am Legend
Has liked: 1550 likes
Total likes: 1622 likes

Post by I am Legend »

Nah honestly i think we'll beat the brummies, i think the players will be full of confidence from now till the end. I know five wins in five wont be easy, but if we have a full fit squad then i think we can do it, as long as no stupid errors and Nolan, Maynard, Vaz keep scoring.

Want to see Baldock get a chance too, was hoping he'd come on today, along with lansbury, but 1 our of 2 aint bad.
m-h

Post by m-h »

I am Legend wrote:
Want to see Baldock get a chance too, was hoping he'd come on today, along with lansbury, but 1 our of 2 aint bad.
Thats was covered earlier in the thread.......that said we're on the up, lets make them above us sweat, even if we may end up third.
All to play for.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Good result today , and we saw a couple of cracking goals .Maynard and Nobles were brilliant finishes and Nolan yet again proved he has a strikers nose for being in the right place at the right time .

The away support was in jovial mood and the chants of "we're all deluded and we talk b*llocks" had Neil McDonald grinning as the lads went off at half time ...

12 away wins in a season , with 2 to play is a great return , and the Manager , quite rightly looked well pleased at full time as he trooped off , taking care to applaud the travelling support on the way ..........

Maynard and O'Neil both worked hard for the team today - really hard , and Green did all he needed , including entertaining the crowd .

Barnsley were crap , but in fairness you can only beat what's in front of you , so well played West Ham .
rsnwhu
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by rsnwhu »

Timely result and some very good football to watch after last week. Maynard's goal was sublime - the passing was crisp and everyone got involved. I especially liked seeing our side backs getting a solid run out. Well played to them. In general, our defense looked very much at ease although without getting too ahead of myself, Barnsley didn't really offer up much - a bit men against boys so to speak. Nevertheless, a solid win with lots of positives that give the lads some momentum going into the next match. Definitely worth staying up til 3am where I live to see the final whistle. Well played :crest:
Canadianhammer

Post by Canadianhammer »

Great game, great result. Well done to everybody.
The fans came through loud and clear.
Couldn't believe how many empty seats there were tho :shock:
Bring on the Brummies. I hope the boys fight hard to make the bosses proud Brum being their former team and all.
Happy times.
Happy Easter
Gummi

Post by Gummi »

It's 3 am here, game was shown at 1 am here. Pleased we converted most of the chances into goals. Great to see Maynard on the sheet. I'm glad I stayed up and watched the game. Fantastic - can't recall any hoofballs, on the floor from player to player and there it is. Hoping Soton to drop points tomorrow so we are 4 behind both.

Bring on Birmingham.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

Orange Hammer wrote:Good question about Faubert .

I read it was personal problems. He's getting divorced apparantly. Apparantly fell asleep on the job.
His missus claimed he always put in plenty of effort and his tackle was good, but every time he tried putting it in the box, it would always end up somewhere else. :lol:
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

Canadianhammer wrote:Great game, great result. Well done to everybody.
The fans came through loud and clear.
Twist and Shout! :raver: