Barnsley 0 West Ham Utd 4 (06/04/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Ironz

Re: Barnsley v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Ironz »

Great result. Thought you might appreciate a bit more conga.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

COYI
HamburgHammer
Location: Too far away from Upton Park, Hamburg, Germany, to be precise
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by HamburgHammer »

WCpete wrote:I don't know why people are getting worked up over the playoffs, if that is to be our lot. I would fancy us against any side in the league over 2 legs, and the final is an away match. Ball's in our court.
This! :thup:
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2641 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

It's absolutely wonderful to win 0-4 , it really lifted the spirits , but Irrons isn't lying or moaning , he's just pointing out what I was pointing out during the game....- our short passing was atrocious , even when we were 4-0 up They seemed too nervous , too stiff , when they should have been passing for fun . You all saw it , so don't criticise Irrons for pointing out the obvious , he's only being honest when some people think we've won 4-0 , everything must be alright .
Irrons is right about Taylor as well , he was mostly ineffective , and I'm buggered if I know what his position is .
I also read somewhere that Demel was some powerhouse that went roaring up and down the right side . The furthest he got was the penalty area , but at least he was solid , and I'm being harsh , sorry .
VasTe is a revelation , Maynard looks like he is overwhelmed at joining West Ham sometimes , but his goal was outstanding [ more please ] . I think Carlton should have come on at 3-0 to partner Vas Te upfront , as he has the ability to slow the game down while seeing the pass . I think they'd be dynamite , and are both Prem quality .
Green , Noble , Nolan , McCartney , Tomkins , Reid were all outstanding , while O'Neil was average [ I thought ] .
I hope this outstanding win is repeated for the next 5 games and the players remain positive .
Well done , Sam and the players , it was a great afternoon . , thanks .
markmc

Post by markmc »

Where was Faubert today, he wasn't named on the bench even, is he injured? not that he was missed mind....
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1983 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I'm assuming that that wasn't a full strength side; Barnsley were appalling.

Regardless, an excellent result that hopefully gets Reading out of our system.

Game on when Pompey scrape a last minute winner tomorrow.
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

markmc wrote:Where was Faubert today, he wasn't named on the bench even, is he injured? not that he was missed mind....
May have cost him his place after his last performance....or Allardyce has given him Easter off for being a good egg.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2641 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Good question about Faubert . I think he could have been effective at right midfield , but he makes me nervous at fullback as he has a tendency to kick or head the ball across the penalty area [ as in the Reading game ] instead of booting it upfield .
Sam must prefer Collins and Demel .
chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 210 likes

Post by chappo59 »

Great result today lads I want Reading to beat those smarmy ****ing Southampton knobs & us to overtake them to finish 2nd
Well done to the boys who went, both the Conga & "We are West Ham we play on the floor" made me laugh & made me proud :thup:
Orange Hammer

Post by Orange Hammer »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Good question about Faubert . I think he could have been effective at right midfield , but he makes me nervous at fullback as he has a tendency to kick or head the ball across the penalty area [ as in the Reading game ] instead of booting it upfield .
I read it was personal problems. He's getting divorced apparantly. Apparantly fell asleep on the job.
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by D C »

Got to play that team as much as possible now dont you think? Maybe Diop for O'Neil or Noble if we might need him. Aside fornthe goal I was agin impressed by Maynard, he might lose the ball some, but he pressures very well and id like to see more of Nolan getting foward when he drops deep.
markmc

Post by markmc »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Good question about Faubert . I think he could have been effective at right midfield , but he makes me nervous at fullback as he has a tendency to kick or head the ball across the penalty area [ as in the Reading game ] instead of booting it upfield .

I do like Fauberts work rate, commitment but his first touch, crossing and passing are questionable and has cost us dearly at times as in the Reading game, glad he's not injured though
jjwred7

Post by jjwred7 »

chalks wrote:we win 4 0 away from home, and create an all time club record of away wins, and STILL some warriors moan......

its priceless, and in my opinion sums up everything thats wrong.......

embarrassing :thdn:
I couldnt agree more Chalks!!!!
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

just back. three hours car park to house.not bad!

Really pleased we went and a fantastic result!- Cracking day out and fun all round... thought Maynard was excellent today his shot and the pressure on the GK for nobes is something we havent *cough* seen up front for a while. His shot second half was awesome too!

the Greeno love-=in was fun to start wth but a tad strange at the end , tbh.

Superb following mustve had 3K up there in the end, surely?@

A more dejected fellow than Sam B walking off to the tunnel at the end you wouldnt want to see- must be seeing his future crumbling as there doesnt seem to be a role for him.

12 away wins? and two to go- superb stuff west ham..18 from 6 games is STILL on! :crest:
Longneck'd Iron

Post by Longneck'd Iron »

Just got home, was wondering if Winston has waved to us yet? :lol:
WestHamByTheSea
Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Post by WestHamByTheSea »

Thoroughly enjoyed that this afternoon - ok Barnsley were awful but we've all seen enough instances of an awful team either frustrating or even beating us. We played well against Reading and got nothing, so this was just fine.

Can't find much fault really - nice to see a West Ham side knocking the ball around again with a bit of a swagger - so much of that to do with the movement on and off the ball today which has been lacking so often. There've been games where contrary to received wisdom it hasn't been 'hoofball' or lumping it long, but merely a case of 10 players passing to statues, whereupon the thing just goes sideways for 5 minutes then into touch. Today saw some terrific movement from the likes of Maynard (who showed he certainly can be up there on his own with the right service and help - ie. through-balls and knock-backs plus runs into channels from the wide men and Nolan, rather than aimless high balls and no midfield support), Vaz Te, Nolan and Noble. O'Neill put in a solid shift even though his shooting and crossing are still more Johnny Wilkinson-esque than Johnny Haynes, but a minor gripe; would've liked to see Angela given some more time to have a crack at them today. Taylor? Ok not great, but the side just had more of a natural balance today with him facilitating a proper 4-3-3 instead of the usual 4-5-1 dressed up to be one - a proper left-footed player on the left, allowed Linda to overlap well by covering him. Absolutely delighted for Maynard with his strike - a proper West Ham style goal that will hopefully see him push on and show us what we can do; there's a good player there, and his work-rate today was terrific too; not running around aimlessly (which seems to count as 'workrate' for many), rather he was intercepting or cutting out passes around their backline and generally setting them on edge -justly rewarded with Nobes' peach of a goal for his efforts.

All in all a fine display - ruthless, hard-working, some good finishing, and often very easy on the eye. Well done boys. :clap:

And well done too to the travelling fans; great to hear the songs right throughout - a wonderful advert for our club before a big TV audience. Reading FC and other franchises take note - THAT is what a proper club's support sounds like on a Bank Holiday, 200 miles from home, when the game's on free-to-air telly. By the way, today was also little Jonjo Heuermann's first ever away trip - his flag was the middle of 3 St Georges flags on the right of the goal; couldn't have asked for a better day out could he?!!

A great day to be West Ham, now let's hope for that for the next month or so and see where it takes us. COYI
PhillyHammer

Post by PhillyHammer »

Great game today, watched it on my mobile at work, and the team showed urgency+drive that they haven't shown all year. I fear Blackpool in the playoffs now though, Dobbie is scoring like a mad man.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Thought we were fantastic today, the players, the fans and the manager all deserve credit not just for today but for the record number of away wins too.
In an all round team performance, special mentions for Winston Reid and James Tomkins, Kevin Nolan (say what you like but he keeps scoring - top scorer now), Maynard, Vas Te and Mark Noble.
Good to see Sam praising fans in post match interview.
We_are_BML
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by We_are_BML »

PhillyHammer wrote:Great game today, watched it on my mobile at work, and the team showed urgency+drive that they haven't shown all year. I fear Blackpool in the playoffs now though, Dobbie is scoring like a mad man.
Aslong as it ain't brum i'd be happy. On the subject of the playoffs i think we will struggle and probably wouldn't even make the final :thdn:
WHU_Del
Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Post by WHU_Del »

Not read the thread at all, as I have been out all day and am very drunk. But that's exactly what I've wanted West Ham to do all season.
We've got the players, they just needed to be let off the leash :thup:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

ironworks41 wrote:Then to top it all off log on to KUMB to find blokes criticising the team...
One member (and I mean that most sincerely) out of 18,000, who has been sent to Coventry for a week as a result.

I think the gentleman doth protest too much.