West Ham Utd 3 Birmingham City 3 (09/04/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Chelmo Hammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Re: West Ham United v Birmingham City: Match Thread

Post by Chelmo Hammer »

ihateroeder wrote:Blimey you are fickle, the bloke has been pretty poor for most of the season, has missed chance after chance. But scores one goal and suddenly he is brilliant, please get a grip, Cole will miss far more than he scores. Who knows how many Maynard may have scored had he been on the pitch.
Yes he will miss chances, like all strikers will, but he is also joint top goal scorer again and has provided a fair few assists along the way. He won everything in the air in the second half yesterday which set up numerous chances. He is not exempt from critisism, but some of the comments on here yesterday up until the second half were truly shameful.

Also, telling someone to 'get a grip' because he defended a player - I think you are the one who needs to get a grip in this instance.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Your post match pressers, exclusively in full:

Samuel: http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=126162" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Christopher: http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=126163" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

if you come out of this game with a clean sheet, you'll win this game today, I'm convinced about that". But unfortunately, I must have been talking Swahili...
:lol:
saludo de carlitos

Post by saludo de carlitos »

Great come back, although I feel we had to win this match and we wobbled again at home, a draw at home in our position just isn't a good result.
Hammer Laffers
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Hammer Laffers »

Anyone know anything about Stella's injury?
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

(from this site)

Given the way you played at Barnsley were you disappointed with the way they played in the first half?

SA: Well what they did was try to play the same way they did on Friday - and Birmingham didn't let us. That was the difference. What they should have realised, after a very short period of time, is that we cannot play this way, we cannot afford to make the sort of mistakes we did against Reading. That we did and unfortunately Birmingham punished us to the hilt with the quality of their finishing.

Is it not the managers job the TELL the players what to do/how to play? Or does he just send them out there and let them fend for themselves?
claretcloggy

Post by claretcloggy »

anybody reckon giving danny potts a go at left back then? didn't do too badly if I recall correctly in his debut games.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

I thought the same stepney. Surely he should have been on the sidelines shouting "Kick it long to Cole". :?

Still, I'm pleased everyone is glad that we've got our West Ham back. Clearly it wasn't good football we wanted, it was suicidal defending followed by an all out attack desperate attempt to get back into it.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Stepney wrote:Is it not the managers job the TELL the players what to do/how to play? Or does he just send them out there and let them fend for themselves?
Flip side of that ..... if a player keeps getting robbed of the ball after strolling it around the back four does he really need to wait for the manager to tell him to stop dilly-dallying??
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

SJB

Even the flip side ...has a flip side.....

:wink:
Harlow Hammer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by Harlow Hammer »

I couldn't give a monkeys how they play the next four games.

Long ball or the West Ham way just play with the same passion and desire as the second half yesterday will do for and stop ***** about with it at the back!!!

Surely the players must see that their effort makes the crowd get behind them, creating an impressive atmosphere yesterday.

Must admit disappoint that Cole sat on his arse at the end and then didn't even acknowledge the fans as he trudged off.

Maybe we need to go back to Pardews Positive Mental Attitude ways. Pride, Passion and Belief.

For a moment, I enjoyed yesterdays 2nd performance and it brought back to me what it is like watching West Ham with a great atmosphere. Noise was unbelievable.
JLP123

Post by JLP123 »

ihateroeder wrote: Blimey you are fickle, the bloke has been pretty poor for most of the season, has missed chance after chance. But scores one goal and suddenly he is brilliant, please get a grip, Cole will miss far more than he scores. Who knows how many Maynard may have scored had he been on the pitch.

Wow.... I said he was brilliant in the second half which he was. And who knows what the result would have been had Sam taken of Cole instead of Maynard? I for one, don't think he would have been as effective due to the style we played in the second half. Carlton bossed the CB's, scored, ****ed on a lot of long balls and should have been awarded a penalty.... And to come on to the pitch after such a poor performance in the first half and turn the game around, I believe, is BRILLIANT.

And if you're going to call me fickle then maybe you should look in the mirror. Maynard was very good against Barnsley but apart from that game only has one over goal to his name. So to say Maynard would have been better on the back of 1 game where he played well, I think, is fickle.
Last edited by Up the Junction on Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Abusive comment removed.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Stepney wrote:Is it not the managers job the TELL the players what to do/how to play? Or does he just send them out there and let them fend for themselves?
If you highlighted the rest of his quote too you would have seen what context he was talking about.

He was talking about making mistakes, clearly.

Be fair.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Didn't Uncle Avi one time get famously quoted for doing just that ? Telling them to go out and sort it out for themselves..??

Or am I imagining it ?

:oops:
Hammer Matty
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by Hammer Matty »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:Didn't Uncle Avi one time get famously quoted for doing just that ? Telling them to go out and sort it out for themselves..??

Or am I imagining it ?
I might be wrong, but I thought it was Chelsea away last year, and someone (Noble, Parker?) asked who they were supposed to be marking, and he said to sort it out themselves or something?

May be wrong though.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I remember a similar story, sure it was Parker who commented on it, but for the life of me can't remember the opponent, but you jogged my memory and I think you're spot on.

From the Special One's 8 page dossier to Uncle Avi telling them "Sort it out when you get on the pitch."

:lol:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Harlow Hammer wrote:Maybe we need to go back to Pardews Positive Mental Attitude ways. Pride, Passion and Belief.
Didn't see much of that shortly before he got sacked following our worst run of results since the 1930s (eight defeats on the trot, IIRC)!

As it goes I'm fairly sure some of Pards' words of wisdom are still nailed to the wall in the home dressing room.
Paulo Wanchope

Post by Paulo Wanchope »

It was interesting to see how much the team was affected by the crowd's mood. When it became 0-2 and the crowd started complaining the passing definitely deteriorated and the wnergy levels went down. Similarly when it went to 2-3 and the crowd got behind the team the whole tempo went up.
Gabers

Post by Gabers »

oh yes Pards phrases are very much cemented into the home dressing room to this day.....
hammersam

Post by hammersam »

Paulo Wanchope wrote:It was interesting to see how much the team was affected by the crowd's mood. When it became 0-2 and the crowd started complaining the passing definitely deteriorated and the wnergy levels went down. Similarly when it went to 2-3 and the crowd got behind the team the whole tempo went up.
Maybe because all the plastic fans who booed at half time left? Strange how we seem to need that siege mentality to cause a threat at goal.