West Ham Utd 3 Birmingham City 3 (09/04/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

aaronwhufc

Re: West Ham United v Birmingham City: Match Thread

Post by aaronwhufc »

Reid has to start. No matter what. Faye will be giving free kicks away left right and centre against Zigic.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Georgee Paris wrote:I just hope all the moaners, groaners and stoners stay at home for this. I had my head bitten off for suggesting the fans were partly to blame for the reading result having bottled it at half time. Hopefully we give Sam and his team longer than 45 mins.
Your totally right about the Reading game! To be frank, if we don't go up this season, I'd blame it on teh negativity of supporters at home, yes Sam's tactics are uninspiring, but I, like many thousand others get right behind the team no matter how we play, thats what we are 'SUPPORTERS' we SUPPORT the team!! It's those several thousand moaners and fans who are quiet unless we are winning that let the side down!
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

Billydinho wrote:Nervy 1-0 here.

Carlton with a late winner.
Sorry but Carlton is not fit enough for these current tough games!
Gummi

Post by Gummi »

Bring on Monday already :<
HamburgHammer
Location: Too far away from Upton Park, Hamburg, Germany, to be precise
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by HamburgHammer »

Several things needed in my humble opinion to get the three points against Brum:

1) The crowd. Make some noise, be positive. Cheer on our lads, even if the odd pass goes astray. Upton Park needs to be an absolute fortress. Let's create a hostile atmosphere for the Birmingham team. Hopfeully they'll be impressed by our team on the pitch and equally or more impressed by the noise level off the pitch.

2) The effort. I want to see constant running and chasing. Let's give the Birmingham players no time on the ball, attack them early in their half and win as many balls from them in midfield as possible. If the effort is there, I'm sure the support from the crowd will be too.

3) Our back four should stay the same. Reid's positional sense should be enough to keep Zigic in check. Tomkins is a rock anyway.
McCartney has grown in stature in the last few matches and Demel will get better and better as he gets back to 100 %, even if he might only last 70 minutes or so due to lack of match fitness. Collins should be our back up on the bench.

4) Nolan needs to put in another shift like the one at Barnsley. Noble massively important as our second skipper on the pitch. And Vaz Te will cause Brum problems without end.Taylor should start as well. O'Neil and Diop on the bench please.

5) We need to put their defense under constant pressure and I hope we do that with two strikers. Maynard should start every of our remaining games and should be partnered by either Cole or Baldock. Carew should also be on the bench and one out of Cole or Baldock (whoever is not starting the game).

6) Allardyce needs to show a positive approach for this, not just with regard to team selection, but also with his substitutions.
If we take the lead, don't take off a striker and bring on a midfielder or defender. If we lead by a goal, go for the second one. If we have two, try to score the third. We have shown this season that usually bad things happen when we just try to hold on to a slim lead and sit back for the rest of the game.

We are the best team and squad in this league. Let's go out there on Monday and show Brum that we are... :crest:
Last edited by HamburgHammer on Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

The crowd haven't been the problem...
BigFatSam
Has liked: 210 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

Romford wrote:The crowd haven't been the problem...
:thup:
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Romford wrote:The crowd haven't been the problem...
Perhaps not the whole problem but it's not the owners, management or players standing around me every home game...also I know this has been the same for god knows how long at home so i'm not sure why I expect it to change especially when the majority seem to have made there minds up already...also I don't think the Olympic stadium decision is helping either...whenever it has become a big decision time the club seems to suffer.

Anyway Birmingham. :| 1-1
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

The selection for who partners Tomkins in defence is going to be massive for this game - as we know painfully well from last season, you can shut Zigic out of the game for 89 and a half minutes, but he only needs that 30 seconds to change the game. Be interesting to see whether FS plumps for Faye or Reid for the job. Haven't been overly impressed by Collins but would be tempted to have him in at RB for the extra height in the box.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

You're right, Ace, but surely the CB question is only half the story; we've got to stop the crosses even being sent in, let alone reaching his bonce - up in the ozone layer.

Such has been the depth of the therapy required to get over the shock of last season's disastrous Spring games against BCFC that I can't remember who was playing FB when we played them then.

No matter. Linda's had a decent run recently and Guy 'Big Boots*' Demel may be stepping into the team at precisely the right minute.

*How big did GuyDem's boots look yesterday? Looked like a pair of luminous sledges! :lol:
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

prophet:marginal wrote: Such has been the depth of the therapy required to get over the shock of last season's disastrous Spring games against BCFC that I can't remember who was playing FB when we played them then.
I certainly haven't forgotten - the horror of realising we'd somehow got Wayne "Micro" Bridge marking Zigic as his header went in during the home prem game isn't something I'll be forgetting in a hurry.

On the positive side, they don't have anyone of the calibre of Seb Larsson to feed Frankenstein this time around...
Gator_Hammer
Location: It is not guilty that man who eat the pie but one that gives it.

Post by Gator_Hammer »

3-1 us.

Cole, Nolan, Agent Spector (og)
OxfordRobbo

Post by OxfordRobbo »

Matt of iron wrote:I absolutely detest these shits.

I hope we absolutely destroy them.
Absolutely
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Diop to mark that freak Zigic.
jjwred7

Post by jjwred7 »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just happened to catch this video. Demel is a BIG boy. I have not seen him play for West Ham yet. Is he still this big and fit??? If so, he might be good to have in there against Zigic.

COYI..lets flattens these guys!! One at a time, but lets win this one too!!! :raver:
blues1875

Post by blues1875 »

Matt of iron wrote:I absolutely detest these shits.

I hope we absolutely destroy them.
But you won't - cos you never do!

And for the slightly more balanced guy who suggests that Ziggy won't get the service that Seb offered, I introduce to you Mr Chris Burke!

See you at Wembley gents, where we shall beat you once more.

KRO
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

blues1875 wrote:
But you won't - cos you never do!

And for the slightly more balanced guy who suggests that Ziggy won't get the service that Seb offered, I introduce to you Mr Chris Burke!

KRO
Only chance you will ever sell an allocation against us...which sadly sums your club up

PS..I can remember us destroying you a few times in the 80s
Dan1326
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by Dan1326 »

blues1875 wrote: But you won't - cos you never do!

KRO
700ish supporters in the away end on Monday. You're just a **** team in Villa **** team in Villa.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

I should just add...you had the smallest allocation of 900 and you still have loads left.

In your psotion..that is a truly shocking support.

You can pay on the day still !?
Faubert's Boot
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Faubert's Boot »

18k average attendance at St Andrews too, embarrassing :lol: