West Ham Utd 3 Birmingham City 3 (09/04/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Re: West Ham United v Birmingham City: Match Thread

Post by Denbighammer »

w4hammer wrote: err yes we were. we couldnt cope with thier extra man in the midfield, and once again, couldnt react to a formation that didnt pan out the way Sams laptop said it would., does my ****ing head in- the bloke is so past it. and he's ALL OURS.
Loving the hindsight on here tonight. If Allardyce had started with an extra man in midfield, he would have been slaughtered for being negative.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by carnage »

w4hammer wrote: err yes we were. we couldnt cope with thier extra man in the midfield, and once again, couldnt react to a formation that didnt pan out the way Sams laptop said it would., does my ****ing head in- the bloke is so past it. and he's ALL OURS.
We were all over them until they scored. But you are criticising him for not doing what people have been having a go at him for all season, namely 5 in midfield. You couldn't make it up.
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

Gonna try not to get involved in the manager out foxing as I wanted Houghton at the beginning of the year.

However, that was ****ing top notch and the place was rocking.

Great second half.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3680 likes
Total likes: 2384 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

carnage wrote:I don't think we were "out foxed" or got it wrong tactically. It was very poor errors by players who should be able to do better. The 3rd goal was criminal.
Totally agree. We outplayed them in the first half but lining up without a holding midfielder combined with a couple of sloppy errors gifted them a two goal lead that they didn't deserve.

I can't fault Sam for not playing with a DM given the stick he's been getting for being too negative especially as that same midfield three murdered Barnsley three days ago...
Ironza

Post by Ironza »

What an excellent fightback from us today, loads of character, bottle, desire, passion and hunger.

I thought we started at a very good tempo but woeful defending cost us in that first half.

The first goal.....George has played a poor ball but have to say the initial pass from Noble could have been better - along the ground instead of bouncing up right in front of him....petty I know but I always look at the build up to an error!!!

The second.....Not sure why Tomkins is playing that into CC when he has very little option....put him in trouble with that pass. Wrong ball to play in my opinion.

Poor from Carlton for the third - bottled it.

Little the manager can do when we make costly errors like that.

Second 45 was fantastic - everyone superb and well done BFS with the changes he made.....Lansbury looked very lively
Jigga
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Jigga »

Midfield was not the problem today.

Changes to the back four cost us the points IMHO.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

W4hammer and co

You don't like Allardyce, and you never will. Fair enough. But if you're going to say Hughton out-smarted him in the first half then at least show some grace and admit Allardyce got it spot-on in the second half.
eastsidejon

Post by eastsidejon »

eastsidejon wrote:I don't like the bloke and never have but haven't slagged him off...
Up the Junction wrote:What's this post then Jon? Constructive criticism? :)
Yep. Just being totally honest. I moan and groan about him to my mates but I can't see the point of booing him or the players even though they frustrate the **** out of me.

I'd actually like to have a beer with the bloke and try to understand what goes on in his head.
eastsidejon

Post by eastsidejon »

GwentHammers wrote:I have not read lots of the posts of this match thread so apologies if I am repeating myself.

Today was the turning point - maybe a little late - Reading losing next two games might help !

This game has similar pointers with the Spurs game - we lost that night but it kick started the revival - the whole club fought together ...

I really do believe we will win every game now & if necessary that includes the playoffs ...
You are Avram Grant and I claim my £5 :)
sjb958
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by sjb958 »

a question for you all -if we win all of our last 4 games, do you think we will go up automatically?
Last edited by sjb958 on Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geordie Hammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Geordie Hammer »

sjb958 wrote:a question for you all -if we win all of our last 4 games, do you think we will go up?
Tough one. We'd stand a good chance. Southampton and Reading WILL drop points. Ive given up on the idea of 1st spot but have a feeling a 90th minute David speedy goal on the last day will see us scrape in there!
RM6

Post by RM6 »

sjb958 wrote:a question for you all -if we win all of our last 4 games, do you think we will go up?
Never say never, but being realisitic the next four games are about who we meet in the Play Off semi.
claretcloggy

Post by claretcloggy »

wins breed confidence..it won't harm our chances therefore imho
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by upton o'good »

sjb958 wrote:a question for you all -if we win all of our last 4 games, do you think we will go up automatically?
I guarantee it. :wink: In fact the last 3 would do it...

We're heading for the play-offs so the last 3 games, if won, would be both play off semis and the wembly final.
eastsidejon

Post by eastsidejon »

RM6 wrote:Never say never, but being realisitic the next four games are about who we meet in the Play Off semi.
And maintaining the intensity shown in the second half. If we do end up in the play offs (and I think we will) we need to go into them with some self belief and that will difficult to achieve if we just limp through the next four games. Have to go for it and if Southampton or Reading implode then great but it's out of our hands now.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

That was the "West Ham" way :lol: ...what a game! Although it wasn't the result we wanted, that was a fantastic match. All the fans in the second half were united after things got a bit shitty, the players really put a shift in as well and i cant remember the last time i enjoyed a game so much as that.

I think going over the match, Birmingham were pretty lucky, they just took advantage of all opportunities that come their way. I was just glad we had the attitude to keep fighting back, especially after Reading where we were also on top and went in behind. This time our heads didn't drop and we got the sort of performance in the second half that we have wanted all season at home. I thought Nolan had his best match but for me Lansbury changed the game. Why he hasn't started more often is beyond me!

On another note, Birminghams fans were proper **** again. Brought f*** all and couldn't even hear a whisper from them at any point in the match...just like last season.
tonkaman
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by tonkaman »

Not long back in now, what an awful journey!!

What an entertaining 2nd half! Great stuff! Shame we couldn't play like that in the first, or we would have crucified them!
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1949 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Just got back. Haven't read thread, but what a fantastic game! We showed the same spirit as when we played 'Wall and I loved it.

Also worth noting just how good the crowd were. Even had we lost that game 3.1, with the second half performance they would have been cheered off. Proof again that it's how they play rather than the result which triggers the fans. Thought we were ****ing magnificent.

Now I'll read the thread and come back miserable...
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1949 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

bubbles1966 wrote:.... left me in high spirits for whatever may come. :thup: .
That was my abiding feeling too. Sets us up for the play offs if necessary knowing we can turn over the next best team in the league if we play like that.

Not scared now.
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1202 likes

Post by ironilunga »

I think there is every chance that we could be back in second place at the close of play next Saturday. This point could well be crucial.