West Ham Utd 3 Birmingham City 3 (09/04/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Re: West Ham United v Birmingham City: Match Thread

Post by LeonRivers »

Billydinho wrote:But having such strongly negative attitudes towards players is quite ridiculous considering, nowadays, you don't get to see them that often.
This is true. I've hardly been in the last 2 years, and I can't honestly say exactly how poor or amazing any of our players are, particularly this season when it's hard to see any more than 30 seconds of our matches.

Even the motd analysis is dreadful. I'd go to matches and see a player put in an average performance and it'd be edited to a superb performance by the BBC. That is why you get so many people saying Bellamy, Vaz Te, Parker etc are better then they realised once they sign for West Ham.

Even though I don't go any more, I'm happy to admit that anyone forming an opinion on a player (particularly one that's only played for us this season) that doesn't attend many matches is a berk.
claretcloggy

Post by claretcloggy »

LeonRivers wrote: I wouldn't call any of them major stars (Cisse at a push), and they certainly weren't when Newcastle signed them.
I would..from that list of players ben arfa was a major talent who already played in the CL for Lyon and Marseille and had a few French caps under his belt. Tioté was a pivotal player for FC Twente and a Ivory-Coast international, Coloccini was sought after by a host of Spanish clubs when he joined Newcastle from Villareal and was already an Argentinian international who was part of the national team in the WC of 2010 and (though I'm not certain) 2006. Same goes about Gutierrez.
Cabaye was already a French international when he joined Newcastle and again, was much sought after. Ba, ditto. Santon; wild-card but was a talented youngster at Inter Milan and had already CL experience and Serie-A experience. The list goes on..it's not as if they had a team full of CCC, L1 and journey-man players. Still..huge credit to both Hughton and Pardew for getting Newcastle unified out of the CCC and then consolidating their position in such style (hughton for me had his part in this as well) and then improving on last season.
Major
%&!$
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by Major »

Still..huge credit to both Hughton and Pardew for getting Newcastle unified out of the CCC and then consolidating their position in such style (hughton for me had his part in this as well) and then improving on last season.
Very enlightening, what did you think of West Ham today? I thought we were quit good
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

claretcloggy wrote: I would..
There is a huge difference (and several rungs) between L1 and major star. You make it sound like you believe anyone that has played in the top league in any country is a major star.

If a pivotal player for FC Twente is a major player, what the f*ck is Cristiano Ronaldo? :lol:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Pardew/Newcastle thread here: http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=135875" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
west ham15
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

Was a quality match in the end and we did end up playing some decent football!

Vaz Te is just class what a bargain signing he ended up to be!
Geordie Hammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Geordie Hammer »

Major wrote:
A few of things:

1. If you change a football team you are not fickle you are a bellend no arguments, so well done for not changing teams. Thank you
2. Dislike a player by all means but stand by it even if they have a blinder!! My point is players don't suddenly become great or suddenly become **** (or ***** was it?) I stand by my dislike and like of different players but I'm big enough to freely admit when they've had a decent game. Just like I freely hold my hands up and say CC had a decent second half.
3. giving your all? what does that mean? I support by any way I can given the circumstances. Some of us arent fortunate to live (as I would put it) on the doorstep
4. I dont understand what difference redundancy makes? sympathy card? Far from it but you do the maths. It doesn't take a genius to work out that a massive reduction in income means sacrifices have to be made. I chose to go self employed relying on my other halfs salary to make ends meet. My kids come first so regular trips around the country following west ham aren't up there when compared to keeping a roof over our heads. But maybe our priorities are different. Iknow I really shouldn't have to justify myself to you but I will.

All i can say is that in my opinion i wish few more like you couldn't come to home games (for whatever reason). A confident CC is the best striker in the league bar none, shame that so called fans have sapped every last bit from him. All I can say is I bloody well wish I could go to more home games!
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

libero wrote:1: Playing 3 in midfield against a team playing 5 in midfield just doesn't work unless you get an early goal. Because they'll end up swamping you. Especially when one of the 3 is Kevin Nolan
If we'd have started with a 5 man midfield at home there would have been a minor riot and all manner of frothing at the mouth on here.
libero wrote: I hope to see Lansbury starting our remaining matches :think:
Agree on that, thought the lad had a decent game and worthy of more of a run out in the rest of the season.
claretcloggy

Post by claretcloggy »

Major wrote: Very enlightening, what did you think of West Ham today? I thought we were quit good
are you being sarcastic major :lol: ?well thanks anyway I must admit to my shame that the life of a dutch student is not that I can afford sky or anything..so was listening to bits and pieces over the radio (which has a bad reception but I'll take about anything I can get when it comes to covering of west ham games) but sounded bloody captivating and pulsating in the second half. Actually feel better thanks to that 2nd half performance.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Carlton was epic 2nd half, cant stress it enough and I thought, despite conceding 3 goals, Reid looked good again.

You have to wonder what Vaz Te has been doing for the last 4 years, really excellent player, much better than Championship standard.
west ham15
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

fjthegrey wrote:Carlton was epic 2nd half, cant stress it enough and I thought, despite conceding 3 goals, Reid looked good again.

You have to wonder what Vaz Te has been doing for the last 4 years, really excellent player, much better than Championship standard.
Scored 11 at Barnsley this season before signing for us!
claretcloggy

Post by claretcloggy »

LeonRivers wrote: There is a huge difference (and several rungs) between L1 and major star. You make it sound like you believe anyone that has played in the top league in any country is a major star.

If a pivotal player for FC Twente is a major player, what the f*ck is Cristiano Ronaldo? :lol:
I believe apart from santon, the others were already recognized good players. Didn't say they were super stars..but they were not really wild-cards or gambles either (though you could say every player who isn't a super star and comes from abroad is a gamble)
Scratchy
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 225 likes

Post by Scratchy »

I was proud of that performance. People can be very petulant if they don't get the result they want.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Disappointingly anonymous match for Willy Smallwood...
simonpaulthomas
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 224 likes

Post by simonpaulthomas »

I'm proud to be West Ham after seeing such a great comeback. We're still gonna win the league - just you wait and see!
eastsidejon

Post by eastsidejon »

Just read the post match quotes from Alardyce:

"The players, when we set out to win a game of football, they need to be aware of what the opposition do and what they don't do and what we did was play straight into Birmingham's hands in the first half.

I'll accept a lot of what happened in the first half was down to individual errors and comedy defending, but isn't it BFS and his coaching staff's responsibility to make sure the players are thoroughly drilled about "what the opposition do and what they don't do"? It really ain't rocket science. If they are individually or collectively too dim to work it out for themselves then they need to have it drummed into their heads.

I don't like the bloke and never have but haven't slagged him off and I was prepared to put up with him and his style of football as a means to an end but I just don't understand him though.
Geordie Hammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Geordie Hammer »

Aceface wrote:Disappointingly anonymous match for Willy Smallwood...
:lol: just choked on my pint! Quality
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

What a cracking second half that was

Even the other 'alf quite enjoyed that inbetween her pick 'n mix :thup:

To be honest, if we'd had more of that over there this season, I'd have been happy with us finishing 7th, 8th, 9th, whatever

Today just reaffirmed for me the fact that I couldn't really give a tom tit about where we finish, or if we even win or lose, as long as we give it some

Fair play to some of the support around us today too, made a proper din at points, & actually enjoyed it in West Upper. COYI
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Up the Junction wrote:
We got our West Ham back tonight.
With barely a ball played on the floor for the entire 2nd half. Entertainment wise one of the best games I have seen in years. Food for thought for some ..
Muddy
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Muddy »

That second half was madness. Radio rental. That wan't football, that was a free for all, great fun though. They were three terrible goals to conceed though. Glad i want to the wakefield after the match, sod queeing for the tube in the pissing rain.