West Ham Utd 6 Brighton & Hove Albion 0 (14/04/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Re: West Ham United v Brighton and Hove Albion: Match Thread

Post by Up the Junction »

Willtelll wrote:Terrific performance but did anyone notice it was the first time we lined up 4-4-2?
It wasn't.
ishtar wrote: saddly it seams with nothing to moan about some of our supporters have nothing to say.
That's twice now you've moaned about your fellow fans already on this thread, good to see someone keeping up the status quo.

Apologies for the delay with the post-match pressers, they'll be coming once I've managed to decipher Gus Poyet's ramblings.
UptonHammer

Post by UptonHammer »

The most important point about yesterday was the confidence we have now going into our last fixtures.
COYI :crest:
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

Brilliant performance from everyone today with the final score line easily being more if Lansbury's effort went under the bar after 30 seconds, if Nolan was able to turn in a chance and if the referee actually awarded us penalties, the one before the Vaz Te goal wouldn't have been given as the ref had waved his arms in the air saying no pen, thank god for RVT.

Brilliant day at The Boleyn (we rarely say that) with lots of noise and the banter between us and Greeno and also their substitute (who's name I didn't catch) who gets a lot of respect from me.

Now watch us, in typical West Ham way lose next week!
Adie64
Has liked: 463 likes

Post by Adie64 »

Fantastic yesterday, well done to the Brighton fans helped create a good bit of banter, more like the old day's.
Haven't been in the Chickenrun for a few years, was where my Dad & I used to have our season tickets in the 80's. Well done the lads by the brighton fans kept the banter going well. Did anyone see the ginger woman come down to the Police pointing at the West Ham fans proberly moaning about what we were singing. :lol:
Well done to the players and Big Sam that was proper entertainment, great to have a player like Vaz Te again it's been a while.
A lot about yesterday was like the Good Old Day's.
COME ON YOU IRONS.
DjBelz

Post by DjBelz »

Clearly our best performance of the year, but really a continuation of our effort vs Birmingham and for a large part of the Reading game as well. Apart from some questionable tracking back and slow aniticpation in defense, we have actually been playing the best stuff of the year for a little while now....

This performance / result was coming - we have really hit our strides over the past few weeks. For me you can tell from the players first touch, lack of fear to run at players and off the ball movement (apart from defensive lapses. All at their peak in last 3-4 games.

I think the most noticable elements are (among others):

1. Nolan being active - probably 30-40% more dynamic
2. Vaz Te clearly can get the crowd, and the rest of the team going, not to mention put the ball in the net... just the spark this team needed.
3. Winston Reid is growing very quickly into a top tier defender in this league. Close to our most improved this year I would think?
4. Structure- instead of aimless runs by mccartney/faubert and co down the right, we are more willing to go through the middle first, squeeze defenders into tighter/narrow passages, and then look to spread the play. not only is the team more dynamic and fluid, but also a whole lot less predictable. Lansbury might not have had his shooting boots on - but just having his threat there meant a lot of extra time for Taylor and co out on the wings.

Form is everything at this time of year, and we just need to keep at it. Quality is there and starting to show in spades.

Pity it came too late. Probably only 3-4 games earlier and we would be going up auto.

COYI!

:crest:
HammermanDan
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by HammermanDan »

Kitt the car wrote: Brilliant day at The Boleyn (we rarely say that) with lots of noise and the banter between us and Greeno and also their substitute (who's name I didn't catch) who gets a lot of respect from me.

Now watch us, in typical West Ham way lose next week!
It was Craig Noone, quality banter, fair play to the lad for laughing at the "you're not playing cos you're ****" and sayin no to the chant of "do u take it up the arse?" hahaha.
kthammer

Post by kthammer »

DjBelz wrote:
1. Nolan being active - probably 30-40% more dynamic
I think that was because he was playing in a different system where for long periods he appeared to be playing left midfield - it meant he had to be much more active - lansbury and vaz te were taking up a lot of the space he normally occupies. it all mean a much more mobile midfield. Though it doesn't half help if you are 3-0 up after 10 minutes doesn't it ?
Mosterhammer
Has liked: 1134 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Mosterhammer »

Any links to the last 3 goals? Cant do the red button thing.. Thanks in advance!
robert greenhio

Post by robert greenhio »

Mosterhammer wrote:Any links to the last 3 goals? Cant do the red button thing.. Thanks in advance!
Would be much appreciated by me too.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

Mosterhammer wrote:Any links to the last 3 goals? Cant do the red button thing.. Thanks in advance!
It's really quite simple. Just point your remote control at the television, place a finger over the red button and press it firmly.
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1316 likes
Total likes: 775 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

Up the Junction wrote: Apologies for the delay with the post-match pressers, they'll be coming once I've managed to decipher Gus Poyet's ramblings.
:D He does get a bit flustered when the chips are down, doesn't he?
Mosterhammer
Has liked: 1134 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Mosterhammer »

It's really quite simple. Just point your remote control at the television, place a finger over the red button and press it firmly.[/quote]

:D Thought it was on the internet.. Don't have that channel in Norway. Thanks for breaking it down for me though!
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

what a glorious relief to come out of the ground and see happy faces, jokey banter and people shouting " yes pal, you missed it six- shoulda been ten" in their phones as opposed to .."'''' ...thats the last time...."

blakc lion and the vic were bouncing afterwards :lol:

nice set of atmospheric pics in and around the ground from a brighton fan...wish I could "see" pics like this bloke- top stuff!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dannyla...7629456306020/
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Was away in Ireland ths weekend and missed what looked a brilliant day. Might have to boycott hull as well to ensure we have a goal fest! :lol:
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

I wonder if Carlton spends his time over chuffing his way through the referee's associations wives.

He get's manhandled constantly and the Ref gives it the other way practically every match.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2641 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

If Noble had scored later on , he would have made my prediction of 7-0 correct .
The good news is , I changed my mind about the Grand National horse and won £340 .
Overchuffed was not the word . :D
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

They started out like us at the Baggies last year. And continued the same way.

They defended appallingly.

The first, what the hell was the keeper doing on his knees as the ball sailed past him.
The second. How come the keeper doesn't claim the ball 3 yards out and how can the defender miss the ball that completely.
The third. Tonka won it so easily and the rest of them went to sleep, Nolan had yards to spare.
The fourth. Quite how the penalty wasn't given I have no clue. And the ref wasn't playing the advantage because their wasn't one.
The fifth. Lansubry looked a bit offside there's no telling where that would have gone if it hadn't hit him.
The sixth. Quite good comedy actually.

I mean an impressive performance from us, but honestly they defended worse than Barnsley, but we half expected it from them. Brighton, pretty good defensive record they have I think.

Shockingly never came out to play at all.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Great performance and a great win. The most important thing is probably the confidence going into the final games and, quite likely it still has to be said, the playoffs. None of the other three will relish playing us if we can play with that sort of confidence.

Still, shocking defending by them for pretty much all of the goals.
Rasp
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rasp »

sendô wrote:None of the other three will relish playing us if we can play with that sort of confidence.
Yeh agree but we was mass favourites in the play off in 2004 v Palace and look what happened there..