West Ham Utd 6 Brighton & Hove Albion 0 (14/04/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Re: West Ham United v Brighton and Hove Albion: Match Thread

Post by Up the Junction »

Post-match pressers:

Gustavo Augusto Poyet Domínguez: http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=126176" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Big Sam: http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=126175" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And Mr T's match report: http://www.kumb.com/report.php?id=101195" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
billybondsballbag
MILF lover
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by billybondsballbag »

Rasp wrote:Yeh agree but we was mass favourites in the play off in 2004 v Palace and look what happened there..
We didn't enter into the play-offs in great form in 2004. We'd had a stuttery, stop/start season and we were favourites because of the size of the club, the premiership players we'd retained (although by then we had sold the vast majority of the 02/03 squad) and the players that we'd brought in. We made it through the semi-finals but were never entirely convincing - I still sometimes wonder what would have happened if Bent's early attempt on goal at the BG had gone in - and we went into the final with both fans and media believing that, in spite of our indifferent season, we'd walk it, which is a recipe for disaster. By way of contrast, we've been more consistent this season (certainly harder to beat), we have invested more heavily in the squad in terms of players brought in and players retained, and have found our best form just before the play-offs. We have an experienced manager, and we know that the financial implications of failing to get promoted aren't anywhere near as dire as they were in 2004. The differences between this promotion push and that of 03/04 could hardly be more pronounced.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Without going back over the thread did it seems like at times we were playing kind of a 4-2-3-1 with Noble and Lansbury sitting a bit deeper with O'Neil Vaz Te and Nolan the 3 and Cole up top ????/
Rasp
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rasp »

bbbb
The squad we had for that final was an odds on side to win that game, although Dowie was doing a great job at Palace I think Pards had us playing good football dare I say the West Ham way, I can remember thinking on the train on the way up that we are in the prem no doubt about it, how wrong I was when that goal went in late on..

Apologies off topic
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:Without going back over the thread did it seems like at times we were playing kind of a 4-2-3-1 with Noble and Lansbury sitting a bit deeper with O'Neil Vaz Te and Nolan the 3 and Cole up top ????/
Not really mate. It started as a Christmas tree, but we spent most of the first half playing playing 4-3-1-2 with Noble tending to play deepest and Nolan or Lansbury playing off the front men.

Second half, Noble played deep in front of the back four so more like a 4-1-3-2. It was so fluid that it was hard to tell, at times especially with Taylor pushing up and RVT dropping off at times.
westhamnil

Post by westhamnil »

A thought; I wonder how that bell-end Durham feels about his "Are Brighton now a bigger club than West Ham?" rant earlier this season? The man takes dumbf**kery to levels not heard before!
MB

Post by MB »

I should add that the formation was fairly irrelevant as the players seemed to have such a good understanding and covered each other.

It certainly was not a rigid formation with defined roles.
miles
This site...
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 383 likes

Post by miles »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:Without going back over the thread did it seems like at times we were playing kind of a 4-2-3-1 with Noble and Lansbury sitting a bit deeper with O'Neil Vaz Te and Nolan the 3 and Cole up top ????/
Think Nolan and O'Neill sort of peeled out towards the flanks when Vaz Te and Lansbury cut in from wide positions with just Noble sitting deeper in the center. It was quite a fluid midfield, very good. They had no idea how to deal with the swarm of attacking players buzzing around Cole. Quite a change from watching the laboured and predictable antics of Taylor and Faubert out wide. The versatility of the Bog Brush and O'Neill has made a big difference. Passed it crisply on the deck in the opposition half too. Good stuff from Fatty... :thup:
Mr P
Location: On the outside of a rather cheeky bottle of Viognier...

Post by Mr P »

Not taking anything away from us as I thought we played and pressed superbly, but Brighton committed footballing suicide by insisting on the keeper always passing short balls out to his defenders. It just invited us to pressure them and meant that when they lost the ball it was always in a dangerous area. If he played it into midfield and they lost the ball it meant the defenders were still sitting deep and there was space to run into or they were too deep to play offside.

Credit to Brighton for wanting to play out of the back like that but it was clear their players don't have the technical ability to play short, sharp passes like Poyet clearly wanted. To keep doing it was just ridiculous
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

MrP

Not just that, but the commentator was saying that it was Amateur defending at best. No, he said, that would be unfair to Amateurs.

:lol:
cornishiron
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by cornishiron »

From the Brighton forum:

''I don't get to many away games and was right next to the WH supporters in the middle of the stand.
Was that a typical example of the gay chanting that goes on when away?
I see there hasn't been an issue made of it so can only assume so.
Pretty much. I thought this was interesting...

WHAT THE CLUB SAY..(from programme)

"West Ham have signed up to the Govt's sports charter to tackle homophobia, committing football league clubs to challenge discrimination and tackle the issue of homophobia and transphobia both on and off the field. Clubs will strive t make football a welcome place for everyone."

WHAT THE FANS SAID..

"Do you take it up the ar*e?"
"Rent boys, rent boys"
"Does your boyfriend know you're here?"
"Stand up, cos you can't sit down"
''

Any thoughts?
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Any thoughts?
Yes it was bloody hilarious. :lol:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

A tiny iddy biddy nit pick.

Why the fkcu did they bring on Carew ????

The sooner he's out of the squad the better imvho.
cornishiron

Post by cornishiron »

RyanWHUFC wrote:
Yes it was bloody hilarious. :lol:
Thanks Ryan, any slightly deeper thoughts?
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Thanks Ryan, any slightly deeper thoughts?
No mate, no deeper thoughts on the subject, I just couldn't help but laugh and join in with the chants aimed at Brighton.

Same old West Ham taking the piss. :crest:
MB

Post by MB »

cornishiron wrote:Any thoughts?
The Brighton fans seemed to take it in the jest in which it was chanted. There will always be the odd idiot who thinks these chants are true and spits it out with a bit of venom, but for the most part it was light hearted banter.

Does this kind of banter have a place in the world? Successive governments would say no. I would say that the law should be able to distinguish between banter and hatred as should the individuals on the receiving end.
MB

Post by MB »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:Why the fkcu did they bring on Carew ????
To make us all appreciate Carlton a bit more... or maybe to rest RVT as he does not seem to know the meaning of "slow down" the way he was tearing around at 5-0!
cornishiron

Post by cornishiron »

MB wrote:
The Brighton fans seemed to take it in the jest in which it was chanted. There will always be the odd idiot who thinks these chants are true and spits it out with a bit of venom, but for the most part it was light hearted banter.

Does this kind of banter have a place in the world? Successive governments would say no. I would say that the law should be able to distinguish between banter and hatred as should the individuals on the receiving end.

It is undeniably funny (which I must admit was one of the reason I posted it)... But I was also wondering whether anyone felt that chucking bananas in the 70s was also seen at the time as a bit of a humerous wind-up.?
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

MB wrote: To make us all appreciate Carlton a bit more... or maybe to rest RVT as he does not seem to know the meaning of "slow down" the way he was tearing around at 5-0!
Quite right too. Every goal was essential yesterday. Goal difference may well decide who goes up automatically.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

cornishiron wrote:It is undeniably funny (which I must admit was one of the reason I posted it)... But I was also wondering whether anyone felt that chucking bananas in the 70s was also seen at the time as a bit of a humerous wind-up.?
Blimey, turn it in and have a word mate, and just celebrate the win. This has got naff all to do with chucking bananas in the 70's.

There have been plenty of threads on this subject, dig one out. Don't really think it has a place on a match thread TBF.