Bristol City 1 West Ham Utd 1 (17/04/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Re: Bristol City v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Denbighammer »

Tommy Taylor's Jockstrap wrote:John Carew, Carew
No better than me or you
He's not got a ****ing clue
John Carew, Carew
Quality. :thup:
Roby
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 264 likes

Post by Roby »

Was at the game last night in the atrocious away stand behind the goal. Honestly, it was like something you'd expect from a League 1 club.

We started off really well and battered them. If we'd have got a second before they equalised it would have been game over but an absolutely shocking balls up from Green rocked us and we lost all momentum.

Noble and especially Tomkins had great games.

Reid is starting to look a decent signing. Taylor isn't.

Maynard was really, really poor.

Carew should never play for us again. I'd be tempted to recall Piquionne to put on the bench for the play-offs instead.

The result was a let down but we didn't play too badly and with the play offs still to come, we do still have a genuine chance of going up.

Keep the faith lads. :crest:
CazzaVR
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by CazzaVR »

Was there too, but was opposite in the home end. So difficult being in the wrong end! I was sat next to some right obnoxious little twats! :lol:

As above- thought Tomkins really shone. Noble was good too, but no one else seemed to be able to get into the game. How Carew missed all those chances (right in front of me!) I do not know. Green's gaff was horrendous and Demel is possibly the slowest, most immobile player I've ever seen. There was one moment in the second half where he was clearly trying to sprint across the box to make an interception, and it took him about ten minutes to get there!

There was a clear penalty in the second half- think it was Maynard- had his shirt pulled very deliberately. The ref made some strange decisions- Carew was penalised for every little thing. A lot of the time he was just standing his ground, going up for headers etc, not even a whiff of a foul.

Lansbury should've scored too- don't understand why some of these players don't just get their knee over the ball and hit it across the keeper and into the bottom far corner- the Lineker way!
GreenIron
Has liked: 124 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by GreenIron »

maltab wrote:I was near the front by the chap with the guide dog.
I was just behind him, lurking on the steps cos we were late.

Nice WHU shirt on the dog. :D
bobo

Post by bobo »

Massive thanks to WestHamShares for sorting me out my tickets! :thup:

Great to deal with & big praise to him waiting in the rain while we find a bloody place to park.
southbrishammer
Has liked: 117 likes
Total likes: 337 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

GreenIron wrote:I was near the front by the chap with the guide dog
I was just behind him, lurking on the steps cos we were late.

Nice WHU shirt on the dog. :D
I was right next to him. We should all wear KUMB id badges at games so we know who is who.

I'd forgotten what a dosshole Ashton Gate is, and was shocked by the quality of the home fans' songs - it was a close thing between "You're so Bristolian" (what?) and "Your supporters are ****" as to which was worst.

Apart from that and the way the team and the support went totally flat after the equaliser, I really enjoyed my first away game in 19 years. Possibly helped by the fact that I was home by 10:15, when most of you were still trying to find your way back to Temple Meads!
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

The amount of chances we created and then didn’t take against Bristol City is the hardest thing to take. On the dominance of play, on power of play and on chances created it should have been a victory for us. Because we've missed those chances, we've not capitalised on a very dominant and powerful performance by the players.

We ended up with a draw from a very good performance with the vast majority of the play in the opposition penalty box. We were in complete control of the game from start to finish and, even though they had a little spell after they scored, we took complete control again in the second half.

We can't really have created any more chances than we created away from home. When the ball went squirming across the box it just wouldn't deflect off someone and go into the back of the net for us. A scruffy goal or any goal would have done for us, but we just couldn't find it.

Come on you Irons!

Big Sam

Let's hope we don't hear all that again this season !!
Irrons
Has liked: 1290 likes
Total likes: 262 likes

Post by Irrons »

Pop Robson wrote:Let's hope we don't hear all that again this season !!
Well lets hope that Sam doesn't employ Carew up front in any of our remaining games then. Funny how those who love to dig out Baldock (who was great until his injury) have nary a word to say about Carew's shockingly poor performances this season, especially in light of his supposed 'quality', experience and hugely inflated wage packet.

As was mentioned earlier, a recalled Piquionne would be far more useful as a sub for the remaining games/play-offs.

I really hope that Sam gives a few fringe players some decent game time in our last two league fixtures, Baldock especially. I have a feeling Piquionne might just come back with a point to prove in the play-offs
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1986 likes
Total likes: 1665 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I want to see Piq back as much as I want Carew to start all of our next games.

But luckily I think I read he was injured and out for the rest of the season. PLUS my guess would be we had no intention of recalling him so it will be an end of season loan.

If we need to get him back, that says naff all about Maynard & Baldock the latter who must have been caught shagging BFS missus.

:lol:
the polecat

Post by the polecat »

The Bristol fans were actually singing "your sons bristolian" at Nicky Maynard. It's a reference to a quote he said in jest that by moving to West ham, his son wouldn't grow up with an awful Bristol accent.
PrawnSandwich

Post by PrawnSandwich »

the polecat wrote:The Bristol fans were actually singing "your sons bristolian" at Nicky Maynard. It's a reference to a quote he said in jest that by moving to West ham, his son wouldn't grow up with an awful Bristol accent.
That was funny although to be fair to them they did mix it up a little cos the c**** around me were singing 'We are Bristolian' at times as well.
OxfordRobbo

Post by OxfordRobbo »

Mayde Oi larf it did :D
hammer_lad

Post by hammer_lad »

Personally, i thought they were the best home fans all season.

also liked the ground thought it was old school and much better than the boring new stadiums.
Bramwell
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Bramwell »

CazzaVR wrote:Was there too, but was opposite in the home end. So difficult being in the wrong end! I was sat next to some right obnoxious little twats! :lol:
Cazza...I realise it is sacrilege to criticise our away support, but I was in the AWAY end on Tuesday night, and I TOO had some obnoxious twats around me. I don't quite get why some people think it's fun to be obnoxious. This one guy in the row behind me was singing (on his own) some random, wanky, make-it-up-as-you-go-along song. Geezer in the row in front of me turned around and suggested he shut the **** up, whereupon thje singer decided to pick an argument with him and carry on singing and clapping (out of tune). Others were laughing, but it was definitely embarrassed laughter. Could have been substance abuse I guess.
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

I was standing near that geezer clapping and singing **** all night, annoyed everyone around and totally ruined the night and atmosphere in our bit.
Tbh I don't think he was the full ticket which is why people held back on having a word.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

NorthBankAlliance wrote:I was standing near that geezer clapping and singing **** all night, annoyed everyone around and totally ruined the night and atmosphere in our bit.
there wasn't much of an atmosphere on tuesday though, was it?
especially in the second half.
i couldn't hear much, and i'd much rather some drunken noise than just silence.
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

It wasn't drunken noise the bloke literally clapped the whole game and it sounds silly but it killed any songs that started by him singing them out of tune.
hammer_lad

Post by hammer_lad »

Yeah that constant half hearted clapping the whole game was ****ing annoying.

i was a full section away and could hear him all game.
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

NorthBankAlliance wrote:It wasn't drunken noise the bloke literally clapped the whole game and it sounds silly but it killed any songs that started by him singing them out of tune.
He clapped the whole game? :lol:

That's seriously weird.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

hammer_lad wrote:i was a full section away and could hear him all game.
meaning that he still made more noise than most.
fair play to him i'd say...

NorthBank, i see what you mean, but if a single person singing out of tune is enough to discourage from singing songs, it could mean there wasn't much will in the first place.
I wasn't near him tho, so i can't really tell.
what i can tell is that the bristol game wasn't much fun off the pitch.