Bristol City 1 West Ham Utd 1 (17/04/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

rsnwhu
Total likes: 7 likes

Re: Bristol City v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by rsnwhu »

Couldn't watch or see the game due to time difference. Disappointing result that would seem to mean we are playoff bound. As I thought in a post before the game, I thought patience would be vital in this game. Alas, it didn't work out.

I think we can't complain that we deserve 3rd place as a finish this season (for that is why we are 3rd after all !).

I think what this match showed us is that we really need Cole up front battering the opposition's CDs and thereby creating space for the likes of Vaz Te and Nolan etc……….If Cole can't give us 3 playoff games, I wouldn't hold out our chances of promotion via the playoffs as the strikers we have are not mean and "big" enough without him (and I have never rated Carew even when he played for Villa)

Hope we have a fit full set of players for the playoffs and then just let em have it !

I don't want to knock Greeno as he has been with the club so long and made outstanding saves throughout but I have never rated him as a great goalie simply because he seems to me to have "stiff wrist" (cues jokes) syndrome. Good diving saves but not so great otherwise with the handling. Not blaming him as he has been great over the years.

COYI :crest:
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

F*CK IT - just hope we don't get Birmingham in the play-off final.

I like this quote from the Bristol Manager: "West Ham are a big, big side with a lot of experience and they know how to win games" clearly hasn't seen us play much over the last few weeks then.... :wink:

Onwards and upwards via the play offs coz Soton ain't gonna lose to Coventry - who would have been relegated before the kick off.
hongkonghammer

Post by hongkonghammer »

Play-offs it is then. Need to try and win our last two games to go into the play-offs with as much confidence as possible. Looks like Blackpool or Cardiff and hopefully it will be Blackpool as they like to play decent stuff and I fancy us strongly over them in 2 games and think they would be two good games of football.
Hopefully we can get to the final and then it's about who turns up on the day. If it's Brum or Cardiff in the final then it will be rocking at Wembley as both are capable of getting good numbers.

Irons v Brum final is my predication. 2-1 to the good guys in the final
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

poplargeezer wrote:we bought John Carew they got Jason Roberts
Or more accurately, when they picked up Roberts in the January transfer window we signed Vaz Te ... who has scored more goals and is ten years younger.
GreenIron wrote:Big Sam on the radio straight after, talking b*llocks ...
tugboatpete wrote:the fat twat puts his hands in his pockets and sets us up wrong yet again
poplargeezer wrote:Big disappointment with BFS and his tactics tonight.
Interesting to note than none of you lads posted in the Brighton match thread.
shammy

Post by shammy »

Stop moaning. Its been a great season and its not over yet!..Those with short memories obviously dont recall the abject misery of the last 2 seasons in Brand Premiership. This has been a really enjoyable season, breaking our away points record and posting a good points total, you have to give Reading praise, they won something like 15 out of 17 games beating us and Soton away. Well done to them. lets face it, getting promoted at Wembley is the best way to go up so...COYIs!!!!
BenniBlanco

Post by BenniBlanco »

I dont understand all the negativity or slating of Sam, last year we probably would have lost this game
We have a great chance to go up, more so than the two times Pardew tried.
The play offs in the past has created some great times for us.

I cant wait
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Typical West Ham, spank Brighton for 6, give us all hope, and then let it down with a draw at Bristol. Can't really complain, we are where we deserve to be, but it's ****ing frustrating considering where we were a few months back and the team we've got compared to Reading and Soton.
hongkonghammer wrote: Hopefully we can get to the final and then it's about who turns up on the day. If it's Brum or Cardiff in the final then it will be rocking at Wembley as both are capable of getting good numbers.
You must be aware of a different Birmingham to me then, as the Birmingham I know struggles to get 20k at home.
kthammer

Post by kthammer »

61dicksey wrote:No back to back wins since January pretty poor really , too many pitiful draws at home . We may be hard to beat but not hard to neutralise, Brighton an exception.
Sums it up for me
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

smuts wrote: no back to back wins this calender year.
This single point speaks volumes.
Major
%&!$
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by Major »

you lot are such ****ing drama queens!!! :lol:

no ones died, we had a good night out last night, there are some right good pubs in Clifton, manky old locals though!!

All i have to say is:

She wore, she wore, she wore a claret ribbon,
She wore a claret ribbon in the merry month of May,
And when I asked why she wore that ribbon,
She said it's for the West Ham boys who are going to Wembley,
Wembley, Wembley,

********** Major runs off down the road still pissed***************
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

smuts wrote: no back to back wins this calender year.
prophet:marginal wrote:This single point speaks volumes.
Portsmouth and Forest at the end of Jan :thup:
Ticket 2 Ryde

Post by Ticket 2 Ryde »

Very disappointed last night however on the long drive home and on the ferry back gave me lots of time to reflect on our season.
We all know what cost us some may say it was our home form and I can go with that however it was our games that we needed to win that we didn't, reading away was a collapse I thought I would not witness again this season however at home we was worse. And away to saints we just didnt turn up just long ball after long ball these three games in my oppinion is where we lost out on automatic promotion ...
If we had won those three it would be us going up this morning and not the hob knobs!
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Whatever way you want to look at it, it was this run of results that cost us automatic promotion:

Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

No need for so much soul searching.

We are the third best team in this division behind two teams who are a year ahead of us in terms of organisation.

We got a reasonable but disappointing result when the other two teams did better as they have done on several occasions over the season.

Our overall squad may be 'better' but I believe the other two sides know their best team, whereas we are still looking for a few missing pieces.

Like others I will go into the play-offs confident that these players CAN beat anybody if they put their mind to it. If we don't we don't but I hope we will be where Reading & Southampton are this time next year, because we have everything in place for that to happen.

We could go up comfortably in the play-offs or fail at the last hurdle - that is certainly the West Ham way I have always known.
Doyley

Post by Doyley »

We have had a very good season....we hardly ever go straight back up, so the play-off's at the first attempt is an achievement...it could have been different, but that's not our way....we should all know that...

We have to be positive, but the fact we are West Ham, will always be a thorn in our own side.....we are now dreaming of going up via the play-off's, but we all know what happens to our dreams!!

Just for once, i wish we can get a little luck and do it in style at HQ....our first visit since 1981 (when me dad almost threw me onto the pitch when Tonka burst the net against the Scoucers!)

Keep the faith!
CentenaryUpperHammer

Post by CentenaryUpperHammer »

HammerMan2004 wrote:Whatever way you want to look at it, it was this run of results that cost us automatic promotion
:thup:

I still think that we have done well this year considering the state we were in at the end of last season. We ended up rock bottom, sacked another **** manager and were on the verge of losing two of the stand out players of last year (Parker & Ba). Sam was brought in and has tried to turn the morale in the club from **** to good enough to get out of this league. This is billed as being easier but it is no doubt more physical and gruelling which has shown due to our inability to finish off games.

If we do manage to get up this year then next year we will hopefully see a more settled, happy team in which we can build on and concentrate on staying in the Premier League. To say this league hasn't been enjoyable is an understatement. Some great days out and days at home. Outranks most seasons im my opinion. For now though, I'm looking forward to the playoffs.
ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 119 likes

Post by ironsonthebrain »

HammerMan2004 wrote:Whatever way you want to look at it, it was this run of results that cost us automatic promotion
Can I also add losing to late goals at home to Cardiff and Ipswich didn't help either? In truth we haven't been good enough for automatic promotion if you look at our form since the Millwall game, especially not at home. If we hadn't dropped so many points at UP last night's draw could have been a good point, whereas it was a case of we had to win . Barring a Saints meltdown we have to suffer the playoffs - if we are away 1st leg then we should make Wembley, whether Sam gets the preparation and tactics right and our players have the mental strength to win the final is another matter
Muddy
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Muddy »

Can't argue with that, we all knew it at the time.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Doyley wrote:
Keep the faith!
Well put Doyley.

We've got at least 1 and maybe 3 huge games coming up. That's what we're here for after all.
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

Goldsmith wrote:The home leg of the semi-finals is the day before my first University exam and the final is on the same day as my Mum's 50th. Headbanger

Last thing youwant the day you hit the big five O, is people reminding you of it! You were just thinking of your mum when you booked the ticket...