Bristol City 1 West Ham Utd 1 (17/04/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

djclipz
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Re: Bristol City v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by djclipz »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Image
Yep that is a killer! It's obvious that it is our home form that killed us, the 7 or 8 we drew at home just weren't good enough, the players didn't perform, we didn't have an answer to teams just sitting for the majority of the game and then hitting us on the break and so now we find ourselves basically left with the playoffs. Can't say im too confident on that one either, we been there before and it isn't nice, maybe our only saving grace is we are quite tough to beat. So we'll see, all is not over yet.. Maybe a bit more importantly we didn't perform against southampton or reading either. 6 and 4pts they took off us, so should we really be above them in the league??

Would have loved to of seen us walk this league i think now we have the players but at quite a high cost, but there are still some massive question marks over some.

Remarkable record for Reading though in the last 17 games, something like 15 wins, 1 draw. Well played.
kthammer

Post by kthammer »

Last night was typical. We had plenty of players like Nolan, Vaz Te, Maynard, and Lansbury on the pitch who are supposed to have the creativity to unlock defences but in the end it took a centre back's header. What Southampton show is that you have to have a creative system, not just a percentage game. In this league there are too many well-organised teams like Bristol who put in a massive effort and reduce us to firing in balls rather than creating proper chances.
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

Hockley Hammer wrote:We could go up comfortably in the play-offs or fail at the last hurdle - that is certainly the West Ham way I have always known.
I'm not quite so confident. If we had started badly, developed over the season, and not got quite anough points, Id agree. But what killed us was late season, after we had had two windows and time to bed in players. So how can we be confident we'll be better next year.
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

As the whistle blew last night and the scorelines came through, I tweeted and Congratulated! Reading in particular, you do not manage the number of points they have achieved easily and they deserve promotion! Southampton also have had a good strikers that have been consistent.

Yes last night was disappointing and I would be telling a lie if I said anything different, people were tweeting and saying on facebook to loyal fans get over it! yes we will bit of course we are going to feel temporary down!!

When you think of the money that has been spent on wages at West Ham and the players brought in, add to that the tactics and team selections from Sam we have under achieved and Sam must take and carry the can for it!

Carew is just a waste of space and more important money, I keep saying it however nice a guy Carlton is he is finished in top football, he is not consistent enough and his fitness is in serious doubt full stop! I would like to know if he fully trains at all?

It was always going to be a hard game for Maynard, he did not cut it last night, that is the way it goes, but what a bench we had, who did we have to bring on, Vaz was quiet, well he has had a few great games, but here is were the two clubs are different they seem to keep producing week in week out?

Now it is the play-offs which I see as a pure lottery, finishing third does not worry me, but I am not confident that Sam can put out the right team and play the right tactics to gain promotion, Yes I will shout and be as Loyal as ever, but not confident. :crest:
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

I actually think the physical presence and hold up play of Cole may have won us the game last night. carew come on he is a joke is'nt he? Although thinking about it a bit more he doesn't make me laugh :think:
CentenaryUpperHammer

Post by CentenaryUpperHammer »

Are there any, dare I call them, highlights from last night?
Gummi

Post by Gummi »

CentenaryUpperHammer wrote:Are there any, dare I call them, highlights from last night?
http://www.footreview.net/home/viewvide ... 1-west-ham" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PrawnSandwich

Post by PrawnSandwich »

From what I saw last night we missed Cole's hold up play.
Maynard isn't a tall target man and hardly won the ball against their centerbacks when we lumped it forward.
Carew did better, but ultimately was awful.

Not really a whinge - Bristol simply wanted it more on the night.

Shame, but bring on the play offs!
kthammer

Post by kthammer »

after such as good season strange that Greeny chose last night to let in what looked like a very soft goal - just about their only shot on target...
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Always going to get the knee jerkers after a disappointing result. End of the world blah blah.

Bottom line is it has been a reasonable season. We've seen some excellent football at times, we've seen some dire football at times. Overall, I think we have underachieved given our squad - looking at the run of fixtures we drew, if we had won those, we would be clear - always what if.

Despite underachieving, I think Sam has done a reasonable job in rebuilding morale, making us a tougher outfit and certainly more physical. I am looking forward to the playoffs, confident other than facing Birmingham.

My worries with BFS lay with Mark Curtis, Tomkins having him as his agent, and all the dodgy press building from that agent on twitter. I think he is rotten to the core, but that is another subject and I am behind him and the boys going in to the playoffs.

COYI, we can do it. :crest:
CentenaryUpperHammer

Post by CentenaryUpperHammer »

:thup:

Definately a soft goal but the amount of points he has earned us this season outweighs it massively!
10 Iron

Post by 10 Iron »

Away to Blackpool 3rd May please.

Who sponsors those Orange Boots? ****ing embarrasing imho
wayneloschi

Post by wayneloschi »

We would all like to be safely back in the Premier League with two games to spare but it just didn't happen.

I for one would rather be where we are today than where we were this time last year.
Minute chance of automatic promotion and the prospect of a first new-Wembley appearance Vs certain relegation from the Prem.

We've given ourselves every chance.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

I thought once we scored we concentrated immediately on not losing. Our pattern of play changed and we seemed quite nervy.

Green was unlucky and is still probably the best keeper in this league.

Was great to be in with the West Ham fans, I thought the policing was well over the top both before and afterwards. David Gold nearly ran me over outside the ground.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

How did Maynard play?

I do wonder if he's about to get the Baldock treatment from a section of the support if he doesn't start scoring soon.
redfred

Post by redfred »

Brizzle City here.

It might not mean a lot but I thought West Ham were the best side to come to the Gate this season. I have been reading this forum since just before we played you at UP this season and I must say that as an outsider looking in and based on our two fixtures this season, the criticism aimed towards Allardyce's style of football is a bit harsh. In both games I thought West Ham played some good football and particularly last night you played through us on numerous occassions with some neat one touch football. You also got the ball out wide and got some brilliant crosses in which you should have done better with. The chief culprit being Carew who couldn't be bothered to head the ball properly on two occasions when if he had done, he'd have scored.

In Kevin Nolan you've probably got the best player in the Championship. He was like a magnet for the ball; everything went through him and he was everywhere, however he should definitely become a referee once his playing days are over because he seemed to want to make all the ref's decisions for him last night. His whinging face got right on my tits.

All in all, so long as your team keeps their nerve, there isn't a better side in the Play Offs than West Ham. So you'll just have to wait a little bit longer for promotion. I hope you don't just so Maynard's ambition of Premier League football (which was the ONLY reason he left us and not money; I repeat NOT money, the greedy little fecker) isn't realised. He got the reception he deserved last night.

One criticism was the amount of your fans that started leaving after 75 mins when you were all over us. What was that all about?!
The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

Back to old school football last night. A proper old English ground, fair play to the Robins fans they gave as good as they got and we're in good voice.

We had good chances but same old stories with inedpt finishing. Felt sorry for Maynard, given little protection from the Ref and BFS's tactics were cruel. Gave him no help whatsoever. The Brizzle centre backs were able to steam through him with balls palyed up to head height, he had little impact on the game much to the delight of the home crowd.

BFS is playing a blinder with the media, he knows exactly what hes doing. 1800 WHUFC fans last night witnessed a very average performance against a piss poor championship team, yet he churns out the same **** I've heard all season. We did have chances and should have won but listerning to his laughable comments driving home you would have thought it was champagne football. Hes knows only a small percentage of fans have seen the game first hand and can defend the performance. Granted the effort was acceptable but we lacked quality.

Need to get our heads straight for the play offs. I'm a great believer in the law of averages. My concern is that we wont beat Blackpool 4 times in a season.

I'm now done til the play offs. Found it increasingly hard this season, not only for attending games but even monitoring WHUFC news and posting on here. Its sucked th elife out of me and last night symbolized the end of the season. Its been a f*** up inmho, BFS has had a divisive effect on the club, there have been few highlights, am glad we have 2 games to prepare properly for the knockout phase
Chippenhammer
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Chippenhammer »

I think that Carew has been the worst signing of the season. He was an early bloomer and is just bloomin rubbish now. Listened to commentary last night and it was continually the ball comes across and Carew has missed it. We need to clear out players like him and I would flog Collison based on this season too. He cannot force himself a place in the centre and is not a winger.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

upton o'good wrote: I'm not quite so confident. If we had started badly, developed over the season, and not got quite anough points, Id agree. But what killed us was late season, after we had had two windows and time to bed in players. So how can we be confident we'll be better next year.
To be honest, looking at the league table today you could say we were undone as much by Reading having the most exceptional run as much as our own disappointment. 46 points out of 51 is unbelievable form at this stage of the season. As much as I hate them you have to acknowledge their achievement. That is an incredible run,

I am more confident because I have seen a better team emerge in the last few months. The results have not always been great, but there are good grounds for optimism. Two defeats in the new year in the league is pretty decent by any standards, but Reading (and Southampton) won games that we drew which will be the difference in the end.

To me losing one game in nearly six is a great basis to start from. it's getting the right formula at the other end that will improve it.
10 Iron

Post by 10 Iron »

bristolhammerfc[i][b] wrote:I thought once we scored we concentrated immediately on not losing. Our pattern of play changed and we seemed quite nervy.[/b][/i]
Green was unlucky and is still probably the best keeper in this league.

Was great to be in with the West Ham fans, I thought the policing was well over the top both before and afterwards. David Gold nearly ran me over outside the ground.

Not for the 1st time unfortunately. A very fair post from Redfred, maybe we sometimes cannot see the wood for the trees.
The potential is there. Needs someone to hit the right buttons.
BFS is still a little to quick to criticise our players in public,imho. I have not heard him once apologise or admit he got anything wrong

There are many more managers i would prefer , however, to be fair, he has done a decent job,we need some stability, build on what we have.

Here is to Leicester on Mon.
Still have the boat trip and play-offs to look forward to.

Feel a lot better about us this season than the past few.

I
Last edited by 10 Iron on Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.