West Ham Utd 2 Hull City 1 (28/04/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Hull City: match thread

Post by Aceface »

Irrons wrote: Have to say also that Taylor is a liability at the back just like Faubert - gives the ball away too often in advanced positions and his crosses rarely seem to beat the first man. Maybe he has caught the Faubert syndrome...
I thought Taylor had a pretty sound game on defence - thought it was better than his attacking play actually. He covered a huge amount of ground today.

Demel had a 'mare for his goal, but things like that never worry me as much as missing a cross or being nutmegged by a striker would - something as self-inflicted as that is easily sorted. Having got back and seen a replay, it's not as if Green is without blame - one punch and it's not a goal.

What are we now - one loss in the last 18? Hull are no mugs. This is the type of game we were drawing a month back, so a comfortable win is not to be sniffed at when removed from extraneous events elsewhere. Onwards...
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Aceface wrote: What are we now - one loss in the last 18?
The choker is that it was bloody Reading! Headbanger
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Just got back, having managed to get some last minute tickets. To be honest, I thought we were poor against a dissinterested Hull, who only came to life just before they scored and again, just afterwards, to leave us hanging on a bit. Dodgy at the back on and on the left and right side of our defence, and even though he scored 2 goals, I still thought CC was poor. I watched him carefully and monitored his movements. Too predictable, no sudden turn of pace to unsettle defenders, no late run into the box, no element of surprise, no pulling defenders out of position into areas they would prefer not to go. He took his second goal well, although he was left completely unmarked and in the middle of the park, we were once again too static and too one dimensional. We won, but that's about all you can say for it
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Also another thing of note was how many people was asking for tickets for the game around the ground today.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

smuts wrote:
The choker is that it was bloody Reading!
Even more of a choker is if we would have won that game which after the first 44 mins i was convinced we would, we would be sitting here now as Champions.. :lol:

Fine margins, a very decent season all round me thinks considering last year.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Puff Daddy wrote:Just got back, having managed to get some last minute tickets. To be honest, I thought we were poor against a dissinterested Hull, who only came to life just before they scored and again, just afterwards, to leave us hanging on a bit. Dodgy at the back on and on the left and right side of our defence, and even though he scored 2 goals, I still thought CC was poor. I watched him carefully and monitored his movements. Too predictable, no sudden turn of pace to unsettle defenders, no late run into the box, no element of surprise, no pulling defenders out of position into areas they would prefer not to go. He took his second goal well, although he was left completely unmarked and in the middle of the park, we were once again too static and too one dimensional. We won, but that's about all you can say for it
I agree, teh secod half was very poor, but did you not feel we were superb in the first half, could have had atleast 2 if not 3 more with more disciplined finishing!!
EastEndIRON
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by EastEndIRON »

I still thought CC was poor. I watched him carefully and monitored his movements. Too predictable, no sudden turn of pace to unsettle defenders, no late run into the box, no element of surprise, no pulling defenders out of position into areas they would prefer not to go.
Yes he was so poor wasn't he? Really, really poor. Scored both of our goals but thats just not good enough is it?

Headbanger

Its just not possible to please fans like you. Did you see how lightweight in attack we were when Cole went off? Of course you didn't.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Puff Daddy wrote:Even though he scored 2 goals, I still thought CC was poor.
:lol:

We only scored 2 goals today - if Carlton "shouldn't be seen in a West Ham shirt again" Cole wasn't there today we'd probably have lost one nil.
Bobby Orangeboom

Puff Daddy wrote:Just got back, having managed to get some last minute tickets. To be honest, I thought we were poor against a dissinterested Hull, who only came to life just before they scored and again, just afterwards, to leave us hanging on a bit. Dodgy at the back on and on the left and right side of our defence, and even though he scored 2 goals, I still thought CC was poor. I watched him carefully and monitored his movements. Too predictable, no sudden turn of pace to unsettle defenders, no late run into the box, no element of surprise, no pulling defenders out of position into areas they would prefer not to go. He took his second goal well, although he was left completely unmarked and in the middle of the park, we were once again too static and too one dimensional. We won, but that's about all you can say for it
Me too, and everyone of those things i highlighted in red i saw him do/doing and can give examples for each..

How can this be ?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:How can this be ?
It's Puff talking. Do you really need to ask, Bob?
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Up the Junction wrote:It's Puff talking. Do you really need to ask, Bob?
But Boss you have to admit ~ he's great for business...

:lol:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote: Me too, and everyone of those things i highlighted in red i saw him do/doing and can give examples for each..

How can this be ?

Because Bobby, I was standing, yes stading, just a few rows from the front off the Sir Trev stand and for much of that first half Carlton Cole spent what seemed like virtually all of it, also standing, about 10 yards away from me !!
JBs Caravan

Post by JBs Caravan »

Did the ref remind you of a poor mans Howard Webb?
Anyhow the lottery of the play-offs,the only competition in the world where the previous means zilch !!!!
Whats next for footy a 7 game series?
Cardiff away basically kills our advantage of away support,with the restrictions in place,and the police control
it becomes a tedious journey,more like a primary school trip.
We have to keep the tie open going into our home leg,this will be no mean achievement,
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Hull have had the best defence in the league this season.

We scored twice, should have had a pen and missed some very good chances (Lansbury, Vaz Te (2), Nolan) - and we noticeably took our feet off the gas after an hour.

Big :thup: for Reid today.
smuts

Post by smuts »

JBs Caravan wrote:Did the ref remind you of a poor mans Howard Webb?
He reminded me of the big bald German mechanic who fights Indiana Jones near the plane in Raiders of the lost Ark.
Bobby Orangeboom

Puff Daddy wrote:
Because Bobby, I was standing, yes stading, just a few rows from the front off the Sir Trev stand and for much of that first half Carlton Cole spent what seemed like virtually all of it, also standing, about 10 yards away from me !!
I really shoudn't have asked should i, more fool moi..
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

JBs Caravan wrote:Did the ref remind you of a poor mans Howard Webb?
He reminded me of a steaming pile of ****. I know it's de rigueur to knock the officials, but we've seen some ****ing awful referees this season haven't we?
Iron Spine v2.0
Location: You don't wanna go and eat a snack like that! You'll end up with your teeth all grey,

Post by Iron Spine v2.0 »

Thank goodness for Carlton today, we looked decidedly average up front when he left the field.

Just not happening for Baldy. :(
smuts

Post by smuts »

bubbles1966 wrote:Hull have had the best defence in the league this season.
Worth a look at one of their CBs? Chester I think his name was.
Last edited by smuts on Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henry Wilt

Post by Henry Wilt »

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************** 'cos I could watch us playing like that every day of the week and not get tired of it.... win or lose!!!!
Energy all over the park, a genuine will to win, mistakes... yes, but then I'm not perfect either. I'd rather watch that than what I've seen over the last few seasons.
We won in a way where they were never really in the game apart from a very brief period after their goal. What better way to go into the play offs (which was inevitable any way)???
Negativity here is giving me the *****!
(I put the stars in the 1st part because I re-read my post and who I quoted and decided I didn't really want to get banned for a complete moron who has less understanding of football than my Thai wife and in the last sentence because I don't swear in writing :D )