West Ham Utd 2 Hull City 1 (28/04/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

MrHammer73
Has liked: 58 likes
Total likes: 85 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Hull City: match thread

Post by MrHammer73 »

Oh well but least we finally have back to back wins since January which could be important for the confidence levels going into the play offs.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1791 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

kayahammer wrote:Nobes man of the match!

Carlton won't be :D overchuffed about that
The interviewer asked Noble to give the fizz to Carlton, who was indeed MOTM.
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

We were pretty dire in the tail end of the second half - pretty much as soon as Cole and Vaz Te went off. Bringing on McCartney for Nolan made it even worse. What was wrong with bringing Collison on? No movement in midfield with all the changes which meant we had to lump it to the two smallest mini strikers we have in our squad. Hull played some nice football after they decided to stop parking the bus, and wanted it far more at the end. Shocking referee performance, they should have had at least one red card and he didn't even give a free kick for any of them?? What a joker.

Forgot to add, what the f*** was Demel doing for their goal. :eh:
Last edited by Irrons on Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Irrons wrote:We were pretty dire in the tail end of the second half - pretty much as soon as Cole and Vaz Te went off. Bringing on McCartney for Nolan made it even worse. What was wrong with bringing Collison on? No movement in midfield with all the changes which meant we had to lump it to the two smallest mini strikers we have in our squad. Hull played some nice football after they decided to stop parking the bus, and wanted it far more at the end. Shocking referee performance, they should have had at least one red card and he didn't even give a free kick for any of them?? What a joke.

McCartney needed a bit of game-time, especially if he is to be the back-line player nominated to the squad for the play-offs. Collison's place is already secure as a starter/backup to Lansbury/O'Neill

At least it puts to bed any notions that a Maynard/Baldock axis is the way to go, but sadly that offers a lifeline to John Carew.
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

Het-Field wrote:At least it puts to bed any notions that a Maynard/Baldock axis is the way to go, but sadly that offers a lifeline to John Carew.
Baldock or Maynard need to be paired with Cole or Vaz Te - they don't work together if we are playing a team like Hull that chase down and press our slow passing, slow moving midfield and defence. I think if they had a bit better service they would be a decent pairing given time to play together - but with the plodding pace of our midfield thats never going to happen.

Have to say also that Taylor is a liability at the back just like Faubert - gives the ball away too often in advanced positions and his crosses rarely seem to beat the first man. Maybe he has caught the Faubert syndrome...
Last edited by Irrons on Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Irrons wrote: Baldock or Maynard need to be paired with Cole or Vaz Te - they don't work together if we are playing a team like Hull that chase down and press our slow passing, slow moving midfield and defence. I think if they had a bit better service they would be a decent pairing given time to play together - but with the plodding pace of our midfield thats never going to happen.

Have to say also that Taylor is a liability at the back just like Faubert - gives the ball away too often in advanced positions and his crosses rarely beat the first man. Maybe he has caught the Faubert syndrome...

Taylor didnt look good today, and he would be the only questionmark I would have over the team going into the play-offs.
If only....
Location: Wondering why WHU is not on the thrillseekers list of the most extreme rollercoasters

Post by If only.... »

Sadly flat end to the main season.

Wish we could have buried Hull like Soton did Coventry to hit the play-offs flying.

I know we took players off but it just highlights all the horrible games this year that we have thrown points or cup places away in through letting in late goals.

If we are two up and come under pressure late in a game the mindsets are going to have alarm bells going off for players and fans. Guess we just need to be at least four ahead....

Onwards and upwards.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

kayahammer wrote:Nobes man of the match!

Carlton won't be overchuffed about that
Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: The interviewer asked Noble to give the fizz to Carlton, who was indeed MOTM.
Cheers! Didn't hear that.

On the down side we're in the play offs. But on the upside, we're in the play offs :D
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

If only.... wrote:Sadly flat end to the main season.

Wish we could have buried Hull like Soton did Coventry to hit the play-offs flying.

I know we took players off but it just highlights all the horrible games this year that we have thrown points or cup places away in through letting in late goals.

If we are two up and come under pressure late in a game the mindsets are going to have alarm bells going off for players and fans. Guess we just need to be at least four ahead....

Onwards and upwards.
I'd still be cacking it :arry:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

nickie

Not excusing Green he should have clobbered the forward but going up for the header didn't you see the arm so Green was unable to fully extend.

Plus I guessing he wasn't thinking that Demel would be heading the ball like that. Almost Faubert-esque.

Demel hasn't convinced me at all really, not much pace, positioning not bad, cannot head or cross a ball. JOB for me.
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

Just having a post match pint. I can not believe the comments saying we were dire in the second half. I am not denying it was not a good Half to watch, but ffs we had nothing to play for, and a more important game a mere few days away. I would have been more pissed off if they pushed to hard and picked up injuries.

MotM- the old bloke admonishing the Chicken Run Confa by brandishing his walking stick.

Moan - I am ****ing soaking wet.

Que Sera Sera
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

If only.... wrote:Sadly flat end to the main season.

Well we could have kept Carlton on and probably scored more but risked him getting injured. We really need him for the play offs so on balance you'd have to say BFS got it right.
ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 119 likes

Post by ironsonthebrain »

Once Saints got their second today became a nothing match - at least Fat Sam had the sense to substitute Cole before he got imjury - I tjhought he should have taken Nolan off much earlier as he was looking to talk himself into a second yellow.
l loved watching Garcia going tonto after his goal was disallowed, full on toys out of the pram!!
di_canio_mad

Post by di_canio_mad »

In reflection - solid performance today (minus that bizarre Demel moment!)
Sensible to take Cole and Vaz Te off once we know the inevitable at St Marys was happening. - YES, it killed the game and we lost our attacking threat but attentions needed to be turned to Thursday night.
Wouldn't have been too worried even if the Garcia goal had stood as we know deep down we won't be playing like the last 20 minutes of that game again - we were basically playing out a match not to get injured or over tired.

Big Sam said after the game that Form goes out the window now and we are all on a level par with each other...and I believe him.
It doesn't matter how Cardiff have played coming into the play offs, or how we have played in the climax to the season.
What matters now is making sure we have 11 fresh players on the pitch Thursday night and them giving it their all, getting a lead, comofrtably by 2 goals would be nice but not essential.
Monday afternoon at home will be buzzing - and I'm confident that will steer us to Wembley......(deep down - none of us wanted to go up in 2nd place - its either champions or Play Offs!!!)
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Agree it was a solid enough performance but as soon as Soton went 2-0 up it was a meaningless game and the atmosphere went with it unfortunately. Looking forward to the play offs and hope we can do the business and go up COYI
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Dyer's - get that Cardiff match thread up. :thup:

Quite excited about the play-offs now it's official
EastEndIRON
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by EastEndIRON »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Incredible passage of play from today

:lol:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Sweeney Bod wrote:Just having a post match pint. I can not believe the comments saying we were dire in the second half.
Just got home and equally incredulous. Proves the point that certain individuals will always find something to complain about.

Sam very dejected in his presser, Nicky Barmby an abrasive little **** (nothing's changed there then). All to follow soon.
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Sam's gutted his Vegas trip is now off...... :lol:
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

Hull came to stop us playing but we broke em down and got three points.

Second half was boring as neither team had anything to play for,

Old bloke telling off the congo with his walking stick is a legend.