West Ham Utd 2 Hull City 1 (28/04/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Tarbs
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Hull City: match thread

Post by Tarbs »

I'm just pleased that we have taken it to the last day of the season considering the position we put ourselves in.

We need a competitive game before the play-offs, dont want them starting slow in the first leg of the play-off semi. A nice win keeping up the momentum will do nicely.

And if the impossible happens......I'll take that as a bonus 8-)
Adie64
Has liked: 463 likes

Post by Adie64 »

Tarbs wrote:I'm just pleased that we have taken it to the last day of the season considering the position we put ourselves in.

We need a competitive game before the play-offs, dont want them starting slow in the first leg of the play-off semi. A nice win keeping up the momentum will do nicely.

And if the impossible happens......I'll take that as a bonus 8-)
That is exactly how I see it. Wouldn't be West Ham any other way. COYI
jammys78
Total likes: 1 like

Post by jammys78 »

If cov hold for the nil nil, we get a 3 nil win and go up I will be leading the charge onto the pitch!!
Hammer Matty
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by Hammer Matty »

This sounds silly but from a fans point of view, or at least mine, I see this as a win win situation

If we win and Southampton lose (or draw and we demolish Hull) then we get that buzz of beating the near impossible, and laughing at the Saints whilst celebrating promotion

If we fail, like usual, we face the chance of a day out at Wembley should we make it through the Semis :raver:
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

I was about to come in here and echo the "It won't happen!" comments, but then I started thinking about how perfectly the Great Escape worked out. We were banking on Wigan losing and us maybe scraping a point against Manchester United, but the impossible happened, and Sheffield United went down. It was basically the ideal, unthinkably good, hilarious, scenario.

So who knows! Football is a cruel game.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Hull have the best defensive record away from home in the league - just 20 conceded in 22 games. Though they have yet to concede three in a game, they have conceded twice in three of their last five (at Millwall, Pompey and Leicester), We beat them 2-0 without playing anywhere near as well or coherently as we are playing presently.

Last 5 aways = W 0 D 2 L 3

Coventry have been beaten 1-2 and 2-4 by Southampton already this year - but have been level at 75 minutes in both games.
Whilst they have been totally useless away from home for most of the season recent form includes a win at Hull and draw with Cardiff.

Last 5 aways = W 1 D 3 L 1.
HamburgHammer
Location: Too far away from Upton Park, Hamburg, Germany, to be precise
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by HamburgHammer »

Nobody knows what's gonna happen in the two games or even before a ball has been kicked. Lambert might twist his ankle in training and not be available for Saturday. Southampton could be down to ten men after 10 minutes. A Southampton defender might try to clear a shot from a Covenry player and divert the ball into his own net. Coventry might be given a dodgy penalty.

You get my point: On paper Southampton should destroy Coventry 5:0 on Saturday. But something very different might happen.
Of course we still need to win our game against Hull which will be no cakewalk either.
Can we give another performance like that against Brighton ? Who knows ?

My dream scenarion: We win 1:0, they lose 1:0, problem solved!
Last edited by HamburgHammer on Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am Legend
Has liked: 1550 likes
Total likes: 1622 likes

Post by I am Legend »

Just like the Brighton game, go all out attack 4-4-2 at the start of the game and see if we can get a few early goals.

And for the love of god please play Vaz Te up front, not on the left wing. who plays one of the leagues top scorers on the wing when you really need goals? madness.

Should be an exciting weekend. Fingers crossed coventry do us a favour, if not then look forward to the play offs and will congratulate the Saints for being better over 46 games.
I am Legend
Has liked: 1550 likes
Total likes: 1622 likes

Post by I am Legend »

By the way, anyone know the rules on paying other teams to win now days?

Didnt it use to be you could offer a team/club incentive to win a game? but it was illegal to offer money for a team to under perform/lose?

G&S get your check book out.....again. Maybe Coventry players will try harder for a 50k+ bonus each, ad 50k to goal scorers. :P
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

Sod it

Whenever I think things are impossible
Whenever I think there is no hope
Whenever I think things will conspire against us
Whenever I lose the dream
Whenever dark clouds descend

I look at this picture, and remind myself. "ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE"

Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

Sweeney. :clap:
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

bubbles1966 wrote:Hull have the best defensive record away from home in the league - just 20 conceded in 22 games. Though they have yet to concede three in a game, they have conceded twice in three of their last five (at Millwall, Pompey and Leicester), We beat them 2-0 without playing anywhere near as well or coherently as we are playing presently.

Coventry have been beaten 1-2 and 2-4 by Southampton already this year - but have been level at 75 minutes in both games.
Whilst they have been totally useless away from home for most of the season recent form includes a win at Hull and draw with Cardiff.

I hate this post and think it should be removed
simon hammer
Has liked: 961 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

West Ham 5 - 1 Hull.

Saints 1 - 2 Cov.

Happy days indeed!!!

:crest:
Deptford Hammer

Post by Deptford Hammer »

Does anyone have the contact details of that chef that cooked Sp*rs their lasagne at the end of the 2005/2006 season.......?
HamburgHammer
Location: Too far away from Upton Park, Hamburg, Germany, to be precise
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by HamburgHammer »

Our owners should offer to organise the catering for the Southampton team on Saturday for free. I understand we know a guy who does a fantastic lasagne... :lol:
hammerjohn

Post by hammerjohn »

Really looking forward to this... bring it on !!
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Errrrrrrrrr HamburgHammer and Deptford Hammer - spooky :twisted:

Yeah - go away Bubbles1966....meaner!

Well done Sweeney.

I am a self confessed moaning mickey and have moaned and whinged aplenty this season. Thats because I wipe my nose and wear my heart on my sleeve and ride this rollercoaster without the safety bar. Buts the moaning has been suspended until the playoffs.
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

Paddy O'Hammer wrote: Buts the moaning has been suspended until the playoffs.
IF?

Unbeliever, persecute him.
Darling

Post by Darling »

An over charged atmosphere could lead to the players over cooking it a bit. I would prefer us go into this with the mentality that we have nothing to lose and try to enjoy it knowing that we will have a second crack at it with the play offs the real golden opportunity to go up. It is 3 winnable games and our current form should see us through. We should just see the Hull match as a bonus game to have fun with nothing to lose...hopefully that way we will score plenty of goals and go into the play offs in a fantastic mood all around. If Saints screw up its a bonus but no point in focusing on that because 99 times out of 100 Coventry will be murdered 4-0 at least. Important we keep our spirit for the real business, the play-offs.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

bubbles1966 wrote:Hull have the best defensive record away from home in the league - just 20 conceded in 22 games. Though they have yet to concede three in a game, they have conceded twice in three of their last five (at Millwall, Pompey and Leicester), We beat them 2-0 without playing anywhere near as well or coherently as we are playing presently.

Far too much logic in this post for my liking bubbs.

Now go outside and slaughter a goat like the rest of us.