POSF1: Cardiff City 0 West Ham Utd 2 (03/05/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1983 likes
Total likes: 1660 likes

Re: Cardiff City v West Ham Utd: (play off) match thread

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Cheers mate...I reckon if it had been a solid convincing 3-0 or more we would have finished with 10. I would have taken him off but I reckon we didn't want it to go 2-2 and lose the momentum. Whatever anyone says about the playoffs and that everything is equal it really isn't. I think a convincing last couple of games (or more) team have more confidence than one scraping in by someone else losing and you "back in" so to speak.

Wigan have been on a tear with some great late results and it showed today. Villa have been stuttering and in a bit of free fall.

I would reckon were there a play off for the relegation spots the same way as there are going up, say bottom 2 down, play off 3 to 6 from there, a lot of those teams would be bricking it, Villa being one.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Of all the teams in the play offs, I would prefer we were playing a two legged tie against these than either of the other two. I can see this being a 2-2 and a bit of a belter one in the home leg to see us through to a Wembley day out. But, you all know it won't be easy, any of it. You can be sure, us being us, that we will make life a bit uncomfortable for ourselves somewhere along the way. Blackpool, or Birmingham in the final and personally, I think it will be Birmingham, but I would much prefer to be playing them in a one off match where anything can happen on the day, than over two legs
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4394 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Cardiff have won just one home game since they last played us.

I wouldn't be surprised if they play a tight, compact game and were happy to settle for a home draw, fancying their chances of nicking it at ours.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

bubbles1966 wrote:Cardiff have won just one home game since they last played us.

I wouldn't be surprised if they play a tight, compact game and were happy to settle for a home draw, fancying their chances of nicking it at ours.
Me too which is why i think it's important that we can take a lead into the home game, which we know we can do.

That way they will have to come out to us, and that's where i think we're at our best, especially as we'd be at home.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1168 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

3 dominant victories coming up starting with a 3-1 victory here.

We'll follow that up with a 4-0 home win, then a 3-0 final victory, cementing our position as the dominant force in the remainder of the division.
HamburgHammer
Location: Too far away from Upton Park, Hamburg, Germany, to be precise
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by HamburgHammer »

Regardless of the opposition I'm just glad that things are in our own hands again - no more looking over your shoulder at other grounds a la "what are Coventry doing at Southampton". If Cardiff want to get through to Wembley they will have to beat us over two games.You can snigger all you like, but the way I see it they have their work cut out for them.

I fully expect us to at least reach the final and even if Brum should make it they would have to beat us first to get promoted.
I have a strong feeling our lads will be well up for the playoffs, everyone pulling out all the stops and not allowing promotion to slip out of our hands - as I said it's back in our hands now, everybody is aware of what's at stake and I expect our team to perform.

Pretty sure that the likes of Tomkins, Noble, Nolan, Cole and Vaz Te will shine for us in the playoffs.

My team for the playoffs:

Green
Demel - Tomkins - Reid - McCartney
Lansbury - Noble - Nolan - Collison
Vaz Te - Cole

Subs: Henderson, Faye, Diop, Maynard, Baldock

PS: Does anyone know if the same rules with regard to substitute players apply in the playoffs as they did in the league ?
Only five subs as usual ?
Last edited by HamburgHammer on Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the bubble hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by the bubble hammer »

Probably gonna curse it because I usually fear the worst in our fixtures and anything better than a draw is always a bonus. But for some strange reason, I really fancy us for the play offs. I don't think that at any point this season we have looked stronger than we do at the moment. We don't currently look like a team that might get beaten. I think we will win comfortably ( maybe with the odd demel header incident ). The other three teams when facing us will be trying not to lose, where as we will be trying to win.
maltab

Post by maltab »

bubbles1966 wrote:Cardiff have won just one home game since they last played us.

Interesting you should say this Bubbs. I,ve just come down on the train,to South Wales with a lot of Cardiff fans,on their way back from Palace.
A lot of them say their Home form is poor and they reckon we are in with a chance down there.At our place however,they seem to think they could snatch it once again
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

Didn't do the league game. How does this voucher thing work? 1 voucher to pick up your assigned ticket? ID needed?

Few of us getting there early for a few beers, then cab to the services to meet mates who driving then take the spare seats and drive to the groud
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3682 likes
Total likes: 2401 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

If O'Neil is out I'd give Collison a DVD of his recent performances to study this week. With a bit of discipline, Jack has the tools to do a passable impression I reckon.

If we want to stick with this midfield diamond which has looked pretty potent of late, I don't see too many other alternatives.

Same team as today/Brighton. Jack for GON if the latter doesn't make it....
DrVenk
Has liked: 360 likes
Total likes: 469 likes

Post by DrVenk »

To recall or not recall Collison, that is the question. I'd personally bring McCartney in for injured O'Neill, and move Taylor to left mid. I think Lansbury should stay in the team.
towner

Post by towner »

Looks like i'll be sitting in amongst the Cardiff fans again,thankfully Cardiff have tickets on general sale so i should be able to pick up a couple.

I think i'll be keeping my head down for this one as it'll be a bit lively compared to the league game.
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

Cardiff will be no cake walk, they'll be better prepared for us this time round and I can see it getting a bit brutal. Playing these at their gaff first may just give us the edge...not losing is going to be their aim, so can see some negative tactics deployed on their part. We played them off the park in the last game there; they couldn't handle our movement and it should have been a greater margin for our win. Can see us being on the front foot for this, bury the chances and they will have to come out and play in the 2nd leg.

Any win by a couple of goals will help the atmosphere for the game at the Boleyn...I sense we're going to need it. 1-3 Irons :thup:
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

I can't flaming wait for Thursday! Bring on the Taffs! :raver:
whizzer
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by whizzer »

We're playing abroad, we're playing abroad, we are West Ham we're playing abroad.
Tricky trip to Wales, but they are all going to be tough - we just have to prove our class and hopefully we will come through.
COYI
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1983 likes
Total likes: 1660 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Think Collison played much better his last game out than Lansbury did today. other that "that" ball to Cole I didn't think he was all that.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Memo from Palace
Just been clued in from a Palace STH, thus:

1. Cardiff (away) are set up to absorb pressure - Zaha was today's outlet and, as much as he's a decent Championship player, without a decent set of attacking compdres, CCFC were his equals...

2. Which isn't to say that Cardiff are a strong defence; far from it - Zaha - a decent prospect for signing if we stay down - waltzed through for his goal.

3. Both Cardiff's goals came from defendable (defensible?) set pieces. The 2nd was a beaut. Volley to the the corner, but only because of a Delapequse* throw in. i.e. Cardiff are most dangerous when attacking a set piece.

4. Otherwise, CCFC are a Championship club........

5.....that didn't do its allocation today, much as the hardocre were all fancy dress in some kind of carnival
(Imagine that away end?) For a 'standard game' we had 3/2 the Arthtur Waite.......

*whatever his name is, he throws a very good 'cross'.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

I'm back 8-)

Keep a clean sheet and we win.
towner

Post by towner »

Dyer's Leg wrote:I'm back

Keep a clean sheet and we win.
For some reason i had you on my foes list,i really don't know why mate,i couldn't work out why none of your posts showed up. :lol:
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

towner wrote: For some reason i had you on my foes list,i really don't know why mate,i couldn't work out why none of your posts showed up.
You ain't missed much :lol: