POSF1: Cardiff City 0 West Ham Utd 2 (03/05/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

WoodgateHammer

Re: Cardiff City v West Ham Utd: (play off) match thread

Post by WoodgateHammer »

guardian452 wrote:Solid, effective, proffessional performance that. Bodes well for the business end of the season.

Just want a bit of clarification on something. I'm an aussie, so I dont really know the background, but was the resounding chorus of "god save the queen" just taking the piss out of the Welsh? It felt like it when I heard it and the thought made me giggle.
-
Hey buddy, think of the ashes and the sh*t the English and Ozzie players give each other....that will give you an idea of why they were singing the national anthem.

I'm a Londoner down in Melbourne and was pissing myself with that along with "Is there a fire drill, is there a fire drill".....lovin it !!!

Bring on Tuesday morning down here....... :crest:
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

OzzHammer wrote:Greeno - FKN Legend giving it to the Cardiff fans at the end........
I noticed that too! :clap:
Last edited by Up the Junction on Fri May 04, 2012 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote edited.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

Was there also a rendition of "Wales is ****" that I was certain I hear come through near the end?

Great performance by all last night, bossed possession, pressed and harried them into mistakes, took our chances and defended well. More of the same on Monday and we're there.
speculator
Location: I started out with nothing and I'm proud to say I've got most of it left.

Post by speculator »

Up the Junction wrote:Dodgy Welsh bastids ... supergluing our captain to the goalposts...

The amount of goals he's missed this season he should have nutted that post.
irongav
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by irongav »

First things first....well done West Ham.....2 goals by a Welshman , u could'nt make that up! Congratulations to the 2000 fans singing their hearts out, fantastic support as always [so sad i could'nt be in there with you] but from where I was sitting @ the other goal end, I could hear you guys even through the bluebirds! Quality support.
That is the most unnatural thing i have done! standing with Welshmen chanting against England and the mighty Irons, bit my tongue and live to go and stand next to them @ Upton park......where I will be singing my heart out. COYI
Also Nolan has gone up in my book, winding the cardiff fans up by me, topman and Greeno Giving some back @ the end.
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

Good god, my head.......

I think I'm still shitfaced but get in.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

guardian452 wrote:
Just want a bit of clarification on something. I'm an aussie, so I dont really know the background, but was the resounding chorus of "god save the queen" just taking the piss out of the Welsh? It felt like it when I heard it and the thought made me giggle.
She's West Ham, Her Maj innit.
Larry
The end of the world is nigh

Post by Larry »

WebmasterFF wrote:Brilliant result for us, however I still feel uneasy about only being two goals up going into the second leg....I don't know if anyone else think's it's weird however I worry about us playing them at home. :

you and me both as we're always being told 2-0 is a bit of an uncertain lead to have I'm delighted with the result and performance but just a bit dissapointed that with all our dominance we didn't score at least another goal.
west ham15
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

I'm such a happy bunny today in the office :D
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

What a ****ing win!! Not counting my chickens just yet but I would definitely have taken that at the start of the game! Great support and nothing better then getting one up on the taffs!! :crest:
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

What a Night! and such a Great Performance! I have nothing against Carlton and I accept his heart is in the club, last night the way he held up the ball for 80% of the game was amazing and what he should be doing week in week out, my only worry is every match he seems to pick up another knock and never seems fully fit, if only he was! completely fit. Jack was superb and Noble, our own lads do not let us down.

But why??? did Sam decide to go defensive when he did, why did we not go for the jugular and the third goal, instead we seemed to let them back into the game and I was always worried they may have grabbed at least one goal up to the final minutes. But we are two nil up, Monday we need to finish it off and do it from the kick off attack!
FrankieMacsPerm
Has liked: 44 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by FrankieMacsPerm »

Great result, great performance. Cardiff were poor at times, mainly because we worked so hard at getting in and around them. Malky McKay must have been watching another game!!! The crap he spilled in the after match interview!!

Well done the whole team, notable exceptions Cole, Noble, Tomkins and Collison.

Finally, big :thup: to the fans, could hear you all loud and clear!
The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

There are goals that just bring strangers together. Both last night had me hugging and kissing supporters I've never met before. That 30 second buzz of sheer ectasy and jubiliation beats any feeling on earth.

A couple of other points from last night ....

The support was fantastic. Not stop singing all the way through. In and around the ground the Stewards and police were more accomadating than I expected. All very relaxed from what I saw.

For the second game in a row, my mate Dave had to pull up another supporter for digging out Carlton. In some fans eyes he will never be any good. **** him off at your peril. I ****ing love the big man, he loves the club and for what he cost has more than repaid his fee. Mucho kudos Carlton

My MOTM was Winston though. I think he has limitations as player but my god he was impressive last night. His head is a magnet to the ball. Towards the end of the game he even thought he was Gerrard pinging 60 yards ball from wing to wing.

The last 2 months I feel BFS has encouraged more football. We are playing alot better football more often now. Its becoming a regualr occurance. The fans are feeding off it and we are in harmony. Thats 1 unfortunate defeat in 19 now ...... and that loss was a complete sucker punch against the luck league champions for which we played the best 41 minutes of football I've seen this season. We are the form team and make no mistake.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Doc H Ball wrote:DL. Daniel Levy. Sober on the boat. Spectacles.

Beginning to have my doubts.
****, rumbled.

*Runs to the exits looking for :arry: *
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by k-r-c »

The Sherriff wrote:My MOTM was Winston though. I think he has limitations as player but my god he was impressive last night. His head is a magnet to the ball. Towards the end of the game he even thought he was Gerrard pinging 60 yards ball from wing to wing.
I agree with that.

Was always feeling confident when they hoofed the ball. Reid was always there winning the header or getting infront of his man to win it.

Also agree with the Cole thing. Far too many supporters still ****ing him off, which at the end of the day isn't helping no one.
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by k-r-c »

Oh and i enjoyed Carltons wave to the Cardiff fans.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

The Sherriff wrote:My MOTM was Winston though. I think he has limitations as player but my god he was impressive last night. His head is a magnet to the ball. Towards the end of the game he even thought he was Gerrard pinging 60 yards ball from wing to wing.
Think he's been quietly impressive all season. Still looks a bit shakey at times in possesion but an excellent partner for Tomkins. Another player written off by many on here who's come good in a settled and organised team.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Great result last night...posted on the ticket forum as couldn't get through to ticket office yesterday and website was next to useless, so if anyone has a spare for Monday would be appreciated.
Cornet

Post by Cornet »

Absolutely knackered this am and being at work is bloody hard work!.

As a few have said, our support was top notch last pm and hope it came across on the box. Plenty of empty seats dotted around the ground which is a disgrace for a play-off home game.

Nothing like the old ground at all but have to agree with a poster above, I thought the OB were half decent for a change.

Sherrif - think you may have been near me fella as me and a mate gave some bloke some severe stick as did others as it was "Effing Cole this effing Cole that". Fine, if you don't like the fella as a player that's your perogatiove but to C*nt the bloke off when he was A) haveing a good game and B) running his knackers off was proper bad darts. Mind you, if it was the same guy he didnt show for the 2nd half or mustve moved!

Few things re Cardiff - not sure if it was just me but I thought Cardiff were very direct. In fact they reminded me of Stoke in a way. Not full-on but they played passes around the back then lumped it forward whereby JT and Winston dominated in the air. Add in the token freak thrower a la Delap and that's where they caused most probs - setpeices (long throws/corners etc).

Had plenty of cracking away-days this season and last night was up there. Just hope we finish the job Monday.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 842 likes

Post by mushy »

jaybs wrote: But why??? did Sam decide to go defensive when he did, why did we not go for the jugular and the third goal, instead we seemed to let them back into the game and I was always worried they may have grabbed at least one goal up to the final minutes. But we are two nil up, Monday we need to finish it off and do it from the kick off attack!
Thought he took off Demel to save his legs for Monday, would call that good management.
Dont like seeing Faubert coming on though, he gives me kittens.
George came on at left back, not a bad move either, he is more of a natural defender then Taylor and Taylor can get forward more.
I thought we played the same way throughout the game, did not see any of the subs as defensive moves.
Maybe Maynard could have come on earlier to stretch the game more and save poor old Carltons knees but thats about it.