POF: Blackpool 1 West Ham United 2 (19/05/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Masterblaster

Re: Blackpool v West Ham United Play-Off Final: Match Thread

Post by Masterblaster »

My first post - so go easy on me.

Hammers fan since 1975 cup final, intermittent season ticket holder and previous best day seeing Di Canio score the winner at Old Trafford.

Missed the Palace play-off final because my wife went into labour two weeks early. Its ok i won't repeat my life story but just wanted to share and put on record my wonderful day.

Because of 2004 I wasn't going to miss the day and i'd always dreamed of seeing WHU at Wembley. To add to this it was my big brothers birthday and agreed with his missus that we would get tickets come what may.

I had little choice given GS odds to get tickets in the Blackpool end. Like many others I blagged tickets by buying something from their online ticket site.

Brother was suitably chuffed and we drank in the North London Tavern on the Kilburn High Road with great humoured Hammers and Tangerines before heading to Wembley. When we got in, we were shocked about how many empty there were. We sat about 4 rows back from any of them. The sights and sounds of 40k plus Hammers fans at the other end will always stay with me. I planned to keep it low key, but when Carlton scored that beautiful goal i just gave a clenched fist to my bro and our mate Dan. Well that was it, we were spotted by one Blackpool fan and word spread. One of theirs got upset and lairy but we didn't react. At half-time, i started talking to a fellow Hammer (Neil - top man) and we agreed that if there was trouble, we'd get the blame and be thrown out.

At the start of the 2nd half 2 stewards said there had been a complaint and we had to move. On our way to our end there was a cheer from above us and we knew it was 1-1. Mixed emotions. Same old Irons we thought but f*** it we could now sing!

The fella who was now next to me was a wreck. The gobby Blackpool fans the other side of the stewards/police were going beserk. Nolan hits the bar. Must be extra time. Then Carlton stretches out and moves the ball a couple of inches into Gilks and time almost stands still. Vaz Te takes aim, fires and the view from the halfway line means that the trajectory of his shot will either end in the first tier of the West End or in the roof of the net. Sheer ecstacy ensues. The 31 year wait, years of frustration are released.

That day will stay with me till my last. Magnificent setting, incredible atmosphere and glorious end. Full credit to the team for showing courage and strength after the disappointment of finishing 3rd. Also to BFS and the board. So proud of everyone connected to West Ham and finally thanks to the knob who complained and got us in the right end.

COYI!
Antwerp_Lad
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by Antwerp_Lad »

Only managed to see the first half, since I was in Munich and my mate convinced us to go 'around the corner' to another pub, because he wanted to see the Hibs - Hearts Cup Final.

Managed to keep us walking for another half hour :x
terryturbo
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by terryturbo »

what a magic day! big thumbs up to Preston Dave who bought me a ticket down from ooop north for the blackpool end. we took our seats and soon realised all the west ham fans in there were moving to the back of 502 so up we went and sang our hearts out, we were slowly joined by more west ham as they were moved from certain parts of the ground. I'm sure i saw 1 guy taking on about 5-6 blackpool fans in a scrap after we had scored and he was moved up with us still scratched and bleeding.

we had a number of furious blackpool fans shouting at us, it was hilarious. We'll sit where we want, we're west ham united we'll sit where we want!

eventually the stewards penned us in and then the police came and took us down stairs after 80 mins. they forced a door open and everyone pegged it anywhere within the west ham fans to get back in the action.

we then scored the winner and went absolutely batshit,

i lost my voice but i experienced a day i will never forget

.I then spent an hour pissed after the game walking around with a giant di canio head on a stick

amazing!! :crest:
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Having watched the complete Sky recording.......Pardew seems to genuinely love the club......he went all misty eyed at one point and I thought he was going to blub.

Must have good memories of certain things........... :lol:
neil_d
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by neil_d »

Still can't quite believe it, and trying to process the events of the day. Just watched the Football League Show, couldn't remember anything of the build up to the winner - impressed by Nolan running his socks off to get to the ball and putting it low into the box, then Cole's assist touch is just brilliant. Still convinced Vaz Te's shot was going over!

And just to add, only one booking in the match and that was for Vaz Te's celebration!
Geordie Hammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Geordie Hammer »

Just watched it back again....still can't quite believe it.

And after a trip to a&e this morning it was confirmed that I've broken my finger after punching the wall while celebrating. A perfect break I've been told!!!! such a tw*t!!!!! :lol:
Hammer Matty
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by Hammer Matty »

Anyone see Vaz Te's ****ed cross into the box (after being flagged offside)?

****ing amazing..
Italian Hammer
Total likes: 282 likes

Post by Italian Hammer »

Hammer Matty wrote:Anyone see Vaz Te's ****ed cross into the box (after being flagged offside)?

****ing amazing..
Saw that too. Best bit of skill all match
Torhout_Hammer

Post by Torhout_Hammer »

The Belgian Hammers have celebrated for several hours on the coach and have restyled the ferry into a party cruise ship :raver: ( the German Blackpool fans on the ferry didn't enjoy it very much ! )
De Niro
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by De Niro »

What a day.

The image of a sea of claret and blue going absolutely beserk after Vaz Te's goal will stick in my mind forever. As will the below...

Andrew
Resident medical expert
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Andrew »

vmixture wrote:G is one of the most decent blokes I have ever had the pleasure to meet.
Agreed!
Great bloke, with excellent taste in music too! :wink:
Lincolnhammer92

Post by Lincolnhammer92 »

Greenos dive in injury time :lol:
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3084 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Quite probably the best day of my life, although im not sure how as I was a wreck through most of the game. We may not have played our best but we had the guts to come again and stand up in defence to their triangles.

From the minute Vaz Te scored to the final whistle my legs were shaking, then as the final whistle blew they gave way a little and I shouted for a long time. That euphoria was amazing.

We were loud and we stayed and kept making the noise we always make, watching back the sky recording and hearing them interview the players as we sang Twist and Shout was brilliant.

As for Wembley, I think its amazing. We were way up high but the view was brilliant, and it gets some atmosphere when you put the West Ham in there.

Got back to my flat and saw the maintenance guy walking around the building in his west ham shirt. I didnt even know he was a hammer till then, I walked up, gave him a hug and left him standing a little bemused, at least he saw my claret and blue colours.
squatski
Massive virgin

Post by squatski »

who's this vaz te bloke anyway? what club was he in before?
Hammer Matty
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by Hammer Matty »

Joyce wrote:What a day.

The image of a sea of claret and blue going absolutely beserk after Vaz Te's goal will stick in my mind forever. As will the below...

That would be one hell of a photo to be framed and have on your wall :thup:
WongaBoy

Post by WongaBoy »

following on terryturbo about Block 502 I reckon they through us in the West Ham end in case it kicked off at 90 mins. Stewards were great. But then again so were we. No trouble, good humour. But what an experience of being at the receiving end of 40,000 WH fans singing Bubbles. it sent shivers down the spine and made you feel so proud to be a Hammer.
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

Hammer Matty wrote:Anyone see Vaz Te's ****ed cross into the box (after being flagged offside)?

****ing amazing..
http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/in ... blackpool/

I don't get how he did it exactly :shock: Just when you think you've seen it all from RVT, he pulls something else out the bag.
Odessa
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Odessa »

just about to watch it for the third time including being at the game.

hope we win
:raver:
squatski
Massive virgin

Post by squatski »

ok I found out my self, he used to be in Bolton
mcan
Has liked: 187 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by mcan »

Wilko1304 wrote:Got back to my flat and saw the maintenance guy walking around the building in his west ham shirt. I didnt even know he was a hammer till then, I walked up, gave him a hug and left him standing a little bemused, at least he saw my claret and blue colours.
Sounds like the script of a good, ahem, 'movie'. :wink: