West Ham Utd 1-1 Sunderland (22/09/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

orbital
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Re: West Ham United v Sunderland: Match Thread

Post by orbital »

I wonder if most of the Journalists wrote their report based on what they saw on MOTD!
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

the pink palermo wrote:Overall I thought we were good yesterday , with the application and desire shown by the players to be outstanding .

Nolan, Noble and Diame were a joy to watch and Jarvis did well when he came on , putting plenty of decent balls into the box as well as the vital overhead kick to keep the ball alive for the goal .

Reid looked assured again, and the fullbacks and keeper were fine , but Collins again made an error , and RvT and Matt Taylor did insufficient to merit a start against QPR .

To keep going though , to keep at it and get the point that was the absolute minimum we deserved was the cherry on the bakewell .
I fully agree
Middle 3 were excellent, as was Reid. The rest of the defence was decent, except Collins, who should be replaced by Tonks asap. He's been given a good run in the side from the start, the manager has been supportive of him when mistakes have been made, but the time has come to give Tonks the starting place imo

Would have to say the same about Vaz Te. Two games on the trot where he has been poor, and we have good alternatives on the flanks. Thought Cole was fairly poor, so would be inclined to give Vaz Te a go leading the line if he is going to feature. Jarvis was a big improvement on Taylor, so would move ahead of him the pecking order, imo

Overall I thought we were decent, apart from the final ball. We put more and more pressure on ourselves by failing to equalise. I felt for most of the game that were we to equalise, we'd go on and win easily... and then when I'd just about given up getting anything, we finally got the goal we deserved, so it felt like a decent point in the end. But all 3 were there for the taking

I'd have liked Sam to be a tad more attack minded, maybe got his subs on a bit sooner (Jarvis especially). Thought it kind of summed up our afternoon that Jarvis's first contribution was an excellent lofted cross to the back post, which was meant for his opposite number arriving from the other flank, that being the man-mountain Benayoun! Shame, as it seemed exactly the sort of ball made for Vaz Te arriving at the back post.

Thought Noble was excellent again, and can't understand the critisism of his set pieces. Sure, every set piece Noble takes is going to be a lofted, floated one, and I can understand the need to mix it up. He is good at that type of delivery, and as someone mentioned, with the tall players we have we may well benefit more from that sort of ball as they have the time to use their strength to make sure they win it. If we want a different type of delivery, ie a whipped or drilled low cross, we have other players better at providing those sort of balls. So any critisism, imo, should be aimed not at Noble, but whoever decides who takes each set piece

But overall a performance that gives a lot of hope for the season. We showed we have a spine, and will keep going right to the end. A decent watch I thought as well
rossmundo
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by rossmundo »

Song of the day.

oooooooh Titus she said no.......Quality
baritalia

Post by baritalia »

Kevin Nolan has won the Hammer of the Match award with Diame second and Winnie third.

More here.
SoulCircus
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 87 likes

Post by SoulCircus »

The weekend's bitter award goes to Sunderland keeper Simon Mignolet for this comment:

"If they (West Ham) were going to get anything, it was always going to be that way because they play very poor football.

“I suppose if they want to play that way, it’s their choice. I guess it paid off in the end."

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/foo ... -1-4955341" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So yet another opposition player criticising our style of play. Guess we aren't a soft touch anymore and it's getting up people's noses! Long may it continue.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

What an assclown.

What I saw with my own lying eyes PLUS the statistics both bear out the fact that they well and truly parked the bus. That's an outrageous comment
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

SoulCircus wrote:The weekend's bitter award goes to Sunderland keeper Simon Mignolet for this comment:

"If they (West Ham) were going to get anything, it was always going to be that way because they play very poor football.

“I suppose if they want to play that way, it’s their choice. I guess it paid off in the end."

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/foo ... -1-4955341" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So yet another opposition player criticising our style of play. Guess we aren't a soft touch anymore and it's getting up people's noses! Long may it continue.
But it's hard to admit that sides are better than you isn't it. Far easier to say they bullied you and played a long ball game. The hilarious thing about this though, is that O'Neill's sides are very, very similar to Allardyce's.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Someone already posted that, statistically, they played more long balls than us. And had fewer shots on goal by a factor of 4. What a melt.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Hambrosia Stu wrote: I'd have liked Sam to be a tad more attack minded, maybe got his subs on a bit sooner (Jarvis especially). Thought it kind of summed up our afternoon that Jarvis's first contribution was an excellent lofted cross to the back post, which was meant for his opposite number arriving from the other flank, that being the man-mountain Benayoun! Shame, as it seemed exactly the sort of ball made for Vaz Te arriving at the back post.
Whilst I agree with what you're saying in what was a good post. Felt the need to remind you of Taylor's excellent first half cross that was met by a downward header from Vaz Te that ended up missing the target!
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 467 likes
Total likes: 352 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

Hambrosia Stu wrote:
Middle 3 were excellent, as was Reid. The rest of the defence was decent, except Collins, who should be replaced by Tonks asap. He's been given a good run in the side from the start, the manager has been supportive of him when mistakes have been made, but the time has come to give Tonks the starting place imo
Reid was indeed very good again, and i'm warming to Demel. Enough has been said about Collins but JOB ? Jeez, this guy was at best backup right back last season wasn't he ? He's now holding down our left back slot... If George is fit put him back there ASAP as JOB sure as hell aint no left back.. Positioning is woeful, distribution is too. And he simply cannot use his left foot. Accident/disaster waiting to happen IMO

Good player to have in the squad/on the bench as cover, but left back, no way
dub

Post by dub »

Billy Hunt wrote:
Reid was indeed very good again, and i'm warming to Demel. Enough has been said about Collins but JOB ? Jeez, this guy was at best backup right back last season wasn't he ? He's now holding down our left back slot... If George is fit put him back there ASAP as JOB sure as hell aint no left back.. Positioning is woeful, distribution is too. And he simply cannot use his left foot. Accident/disaster waiting to happen IMO

Good player to have in the squad/on the bench as cover, but left back, no way
I've never been a fan of playing players out of position, JOB is okay on the left but is more suited to the right. tbh I think his distribution is decent, always looks to find one of the more creative players when available, rather than do it himself.

I think he gets a hard time from too many but I agree he is not a left back, even if he has done better than some seem to be prepared to give him credit for.

Collins made a mistake, probably like most defenders playing in the PL at the weekend. It happens.I'll trust the managers judgement regarding who gets the nod in any position. We are doing well and are a tough side to beat.
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

dub wrote:
I've never been a fan of playing players out of position, JOB is okay on the left but is more suited to the right. tbh I think his distribution is decent, always looks to find one of the more creative players when available, rather than do it himself.

I think he gets a hard time from too many but I agree he is not a left back, even if he has done better than some seem to be prepared to give him credit for.

Collins made a mistake, probably like most defenders playing in the PL at the weekend. It happens.I'll trust the managers judgement regarding who gets the nod in any position. We are doing well and are a tough side to beat.
Fully agreed
I do really like JOB as a player. But of course he isn't a LB. That he is keeping our other 3 options for the LB slot out of the team suggests the manager thinks he must be doing okay there....

I just think he is a proper footballer. Never shirks, gives his all, doesn't take any shyte, but above all, has a real good understanding of the game. He does what he knows has to be done, even if he isn't that comfortable doing it (due to being on the wrong side of the pitch..).

For instance, I doubt he is at his most comforatble running down the left flank whipping first time crosses into the box (on his wrong foot)..... yet when he's pushed up supporting his LW, and the play opens up that way, he sees straight away that the LB should be making an overlapping run beyond the 18 yard line, to play a first time cross.... so he makes that overlapping run, to get in position for a first time cross, even though he must be way outside of his comfort zone doing such a thing. There are plenty of players who if asked to play out of position would just do the very basics, and play it safe. O'Brien gives his all to the role for the good of the team, and does everything the role requires, even though he's not in the most comfortable position to excel