LC3: West Ham Utd 1-4 Wigan Athletic (25/09/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Bobby Orangeboom

Re: West Ham United v Wigan Ath CoC 3rd Rnd: Match Thread.

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

They had 3 at the back when in possession of the ball of course, they push their full backs up mega high too.

Our wide players were being pegged back something chronic by Figueroa especially.

On the other side, you look at the Ramis goal and how deep Jarvis was when he realised that Ramis had just strolled through a central area and O Neill and Noble as if they weren't there, which they might as well not have been as they offered little answer to anything.
denzel

Post by denzel »

bubbles1966 wrote:
Dalglish won this trophy last year. Sacked.
Wenger played kids - won sod all, but qualified for the CL, as he has for close to a decade. Still got a job.
Because Arsenal(Wenger) and Liverpool(Dalglish)'s situations were remotely similar last season :?
(sarcasm)
westhamerica
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by westhamerica »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:On the other side, you look at the Ramis goal and how deep Jarvis was when he realised that Ramis had just strolled through a central area and O Neill and Noble as if they weren't there, which they might as well not have been as they offered little answer to anything.
Only saw the highlights, but that goal is what prompted me to ask. For all of the criticism the defense has recieved from this match, it seems like we were setup in the exact opposite way we should have been against Wigan. This has always been the one thing that gets me about BFS, his reluctance to change the shape of the side when it isn't working.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4377 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

denzel wrote:Because Arsenal(Wenger) and Liverpool(Dalglish)'s situations were remotely similar last season :?
If I were you mate, I'd give "sarcasm" a miss until you've a developed a semblance of competence at being funny with it.

In case you missed it, the point is that " The Clubs, and their owners, don't give a flying f*** about the League Cup."

They are more concerned with their revenue streams.

The League Cup means nothing these days to those that run the game. Managers that win it are disposed of months later if they've failed elsewhere - "where it matters". Managers who win nothing, but secure revenue, often survive.

That is why virtually every PL team (including ours) fields large numbers of reserves in this cup and tries to ensure that their best players are available for the games that matter most (to them, if not us) - i.e. the ones with the most money at stake.

The old days of being in it for the big day out and the glory are confined to supporters these days.

With clubs - it's money, money, money.